what do you think

Re: what do you think

From what I know they are ok but towards the poor end of the grade 2 spectrum. They are pretty much made for weight though - if you connect the ball will go a long way but it'll tire you our fairly quickly.

Place in batting order
Brand name or custom made

Answer those and I'll see if I can help.

Ok, in terms of branded bats (Gray Nicholls, GM, County and so on) you'll be looking at their mid ranges. Ideally you want a bat with a low sweet spot as this will help to increase swing speed, which should give you more oomph.

For example, the Gray Nicholls Powerbow would probably suit you (at the heavier weight) - Powerbow - Gray-Nicolls. Or maybe the Gunn and Moore Icon (707 series). They will both come in around the £120-130 mark.

If you want something a little more custom made then there are plenty of places that can help and you may get a little more for your money.

It's hard to nail it down to a specific bat as everyone tends to want something a little different from the next one.

As I said though, look for bats with a low or extend sweet spot, with a bit of meat on the blade. I'd say keep to 3lb or less as anything over that is just too heavy unless you have have the strength.

Places like Warsop Stebbing , Crown Cricket or even someone like Vantage Cricket will do quality bats at a decent price. The advantage is that you can talk to them and get something bespoke to suit you.

Alternatively, what about this - New Willostix Stick (Senior) from Willostix New shape in order to get more wood in the middle. A little more than you want to pay but maybe worth considering. Stickers are a bit 'meh' mind.

Looks ok but bear in mind that it is a short blade with long(er) handle. There will be more meat in the middle but at the same time you have less blade to play with.

Personally, I'd go for the Kook as I'd want a full size blade. However, I do like the idea behind the Shark bat (and the Mongoose one as well) but would rather use it as a second bat.

Mainly the difference is comestic but it depends on what or how the individual batmaker grades the willow on.

The general thought is that because grade 1 willow looks cleaner with straighter and more evenly spaced grains then it will play better but in reality that is not always the case. This is why you should always try a bat before you buy but of course, that is not always feasible.

For your needs grade 2 would be fine and I wouldn't really get too hung up on it.

The Shark is only 1" shorter than a standard bat, will make little difference to the way you play.

What bat catches your eye? Which bat do you use currently? At 16 you don't want to make a mistake of buying a heavy bat because it looks impressive, it's much more important to use a bat which is correct for you and your technique.

My opening partner uses the 'fatso' on occasion and it is an absolute beast of a bat. Massive edges, good middle, tremendously heavy. He'll only use it for 7 or 8 overs maximum because its ridiculously heavy, I have seen him top edge a few that carry the boundary easily not to mention the seemingly gentle flick off his pads which fly's over the midwicket boundary. Its fantastic for those lightning starts and we often end up with 40 odd after 5 overs but its not sustainable. For a pinch hitter it would be fantastic but if your looking to score normally and for a sustained period of time I wouldn't go near it.

Back