What Technology Do You Use To Help Your Spin Bowling?

micoach

What with the launch of the iPad Air fueling my desire for sexy hardware, I got to trying to justify buying one from a cricket viewpoint.

I'm not sure I totally convinced myself, but I got to wondering what technology you use to improve your game?

A camera is the obvious thing, have you bought one? Do you use the one built into a phone/tablet?

What other stuff do you use: phone? tablet? other stuff? Or are you firm in your view that no technology will ever be useful enough to justify paying through the nose for something with an Apple fashion logo on it?

I tend to be of the opinion that whatever gadget it is you are thinking of buying, a non-Apple product is ~3 times the quality.

I use my crappy Galaxy Ace Mini. I would have used my S3 Mini but I was videoing myself bowling one day with the phone strapped to a stump with an elastic band. As I sauntered up to the crease I pondered for a moment; "what happens if I bowl a full toss?". I bowled a full toss. No more S3 Mini.

SLA a man after my own heart, why anyone buys Apples products is beyond me! I use a Canon G9 compact digital, but currently considering a Go-pro black. I saw some being demo'd at the Gadget show in Birmingham last year and spoke to the blokes on the stand and they look very impressive, allegedly their slo-mo capabilities are pretty good, so that's something I may invest in. What I'm interested in though is something that measures bowling speeds that doesn't cost £80 or whatever a speed gun costs.

This may sound a bit silly and not exactly cutting edge high technology but what I want is a board with, say, some carpet stuck to it to lay across my lap when I'm spinning the ball from hand to hand during sofa time. Instead of catching the ball in my hand I could let it bounce on the board to see the effects of the spin and how many revs I've put on with the flick. It occurred to me that during hand to hand practice you never get to see the ball bounce and hence the effect of putting spin on the ball.

SLA a man after my own heart, why anyone buys Apples products is beyond me!

My rule is that it's nothing to do with the logo: Is it the best tool for the job?

If you are a high end video editor, you are going to have a Mac Pro. If you need an app that is iOS only (and there are lots) then you buy an iPad. If you just need something to check your emails and browse the web then it would be foolish to spend over £300 on an Ipad Mini Retina when you can buy a Nexus 7 for £200. Horses for courses.

Although, yeah, a lot of people buy Apple for the logo. I guess that's fine if you want to make a fashion statement, but I'm more practical.

Do doorknobs count as "technology"?:D... Apparently a great exercise for spin bowling is to turn a doorknob in your spin direction a whole lot of times to strengthen the wrist. Now that's amazing use of technology!:p

Ipads are good too, it's nice to see what the batsman sees when he faces you. Seeing yourself bowling from a different angle is always a positive way to try and improve your lines. For example what seems to be a good middle stump delivery to you might have been a wide delivery outside off, but you didn't get a good look at it because your run-up had to take you off the pitch to get off the "danger zone"... If you know that you constantly bowl a certain type of bad ball, you can easily see the cause on a video, which is better than trying to do it with the human eye and no help from technology. Personally I prefer using a camera with a good zoom, so someone can stand a safe distance behind the stumps and film.

Back