What the heck is core training all about anyway?

micoach

What the heck is core training all about anyway?

A good core is as important as good technique for all batsmen, bowlers and fielders.

Ever heard a modern commentator talk about a batsman transferring his weight through a shot? That’s the core in action.

Sounds good right? Well, the theory applies just as much to throwing, catching and bowling too.

Think about throwing as an example. The power in a throw comes from your hips, spine and shoulders. Transferring this power through your body into your arms, fingers and finally the ball will allow you to throw harder and longer. Try this simple test to prove it: Throw the ball normally then throw it without using your legs or hips to drive through.

Which goes further?

The full throw is better because you are using your whole body. The power from driving your hip through while pushing against the ground power has to go through your core muscles to get to the ball.

In short more you are able to stabilise your core, the more efficient you are and the more power you have access to.

So what is a stable core if it’s not just a six pack of abs and hundreds of sit ups?

When we say “the core” we are really using a handy term to describe a set of muscles that lie deep at the centre of your torso and hips. They can’t be trained in the normal running-around-or-lifting-up-heavy-things way because they work on reflex not conscious action. We don't want these muscles to produce power, more be stable enough to allow you be balanced and powerful. That’s why crunches and sit ups don’t cut it, they produce power rather than stabilise it.

The secret of core training

If there is a secret to core training, it's that you are training movements, not muscles. The core plays a key role in stabilising your body while you hit, throw and catch that little bit of red leather and your training needs to reflect that.

Core training for cricket then, is often just playing cricket. Performing simple fielding drills will make your core stronger. It's also more than that:

• Rotation: A light medicine ball (2-3kg) and a brick wall is a great way to develop your core rotational efficiency. If you go to a gym have a go at the chop and lift.
  • Stabilisation: Yoga and Pilates are great ways to work on the stabilisation part of your core. So are gym exercises like planks. Remember not to overdo this. You are using your core to stabilise in a very fast moving environment on the cricket pitch and sitting/lying down just isn't the same. Press ups and [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvkIaarnf0g]inverted rows[/ame] are a more dynamic way to do this.
  • Combinations: If you have access to weights you can get clever with exercises like single arm snatches, single arm lunges, straight leg deadlifts and complexes. Don't worry too much about these as they need a bit of coaching to learn. If you can't find a good trainer, stick to the other suggestions.

Core training is something you can do every day if you want, alternating between drills, rotation, stabilisation and combinations. Although it's a complex area, the actual requirement is pretty simple, so give it a go and see if your cricket improves.

Re: What the heck is core training all about anyway?

I gather from reading the above that core training is something you're keen to promote? Personally, I think it's something that is overlooked in favour of the the visible 'core' muscles - the abdominals.

In all honesty, I don't think I've heard many other people explain it as well as you have and also the ways that it can help on the cricket pitch. I'll certainly be looking at a few of the links posted and seeing how I can fit them into my cricket routine - will be interesting to see the difference they make.

Agreed, many people think core training = six pack abs. Just not true.

Just had a thought - what are the use of Swiss balls (I think that's what they're called). Are they something that can\could be included into a regime in order to work on core stability?

A swiss ball is great for stability work yes. They are not essential tools, but if you have one there are a wide range of exercises you can perform on them, both with and without a bat and ball.

Are situps the work of the devil like I have read on many fitness websites or do they help to strengthen that part of the core?

Sit ups (and crunches) are no way the work of the Devil. They are just not 'functional'.

I still use both, mainly crunches, with some clients. It depends on their fitness level and back strength.

They are quite technical though and I have yet to meet a young chap who has presented these correctly and safely.

I have reduced many a young rugby player to watery eyes as I have corrected their technique and they realise that, actually, they cannot do them 50 times as they lie immobilised on their backs after 10!! :laugh:

Not unless you row in your spare time!

A bit like bicep curls; good for the beach... [I guess I should be grateful for them :D]

Think about the action; when would you use it in cricket?

If you do them correctly, they will strengthen the core but in a nonfunctional way. [Crunches are better; working the Rectus Abdominis better.]

If you do them incorrectly, at best, it will be a waste of time, at worst, you will set yourself up for untold injury.

If you like them, then do them, I do but put yourself on a swiss ball; working on balance/stability is great for cricket!

Liz Ward said:
A bit like bicep curls; good for the beach... [I guess I should be grateful for them :D]

If bicep curls are not functional for cricket, how does one strengthen the bicep/tricep region of the arm for fast bowling?

If it is no hassle, feel free to check out my blog and inform me if some of the excercises I am doing are a waste of time.

PS: I don't row ;)

You need to be looking elsewhere for your strength/power for fast bowling.

Take a look at the article link in the 'terrible shoulder' thread regarding the rotator cuff and also...

http://www.harrowdrive.com/core-stability-for-cricket-a-dummies-guide/

...both a really important read for pace bowlers.

David has also written a number of great articles on his website that you may wish to read. Do have a good look around whilst there.

To develop explosive power for bowling, work with a partner in resisted bowling, with the use of a viper belt; six resisted balls followed by two unresisted.

You could increase the rotational speed of your arm to bowl faster by using a contrast:

Try to source 1kg jelly balls, you will find something similar in pilates outlets, sold in pairs. Contrast these with much lighter, foam balls. Then with standard cricket balls.

3 sets of 4 reps with jelly ball, 2 with the foam ball and 2 with the standard cricket ball. Ensure correct technique at all times and recover for 1 minute between sets.

I shall enjoy reading your blog but if your exercises are performed correctly, they are never a waste of time!

Liz Ward said:
To develop explosive power for bowling, work with a partner in resisted bowling, with the use of a viper belt; six resisted balls followed by two unresisted.

Interesting, would bowling with weighted straps attached to my arms also work toward the same effect. Further, would simply wearing the strap in every day life (once I get home from school) work in gradually building strength?

Liz Ward said:
You could increase the rotational speed of your arm to bowl faster by using a contrast:

Try to source 1kg jelly balls, you will find something similar in pilates outlets, sold in pairs. Contrast these with much lighter, foam balls. Then with standard cricket balls.

3 sets of 4 reps with jelly ball, 2 with the foam ball and 2 with the standard cricket ball. Ensure correct technique at all times and recover for 1 minute between sets.

Thank you for that, I may not be able to get the viper belt but I will certainly try the practice with the heavy and light balls. Would a hockey ball contrasting to a sponge stress ball (spin-swing as me and my family call them...long story) work?

Liz Ward said:
I shall enjoy reading your blog but if your exercises are performed correctly, they are never a waste of time!

Thanks for all the help.

I'm not a fan of crunches either. I just can't see the point in 95% of cricketers at least.

As Liz says, they are usually performed with bad form and involve generation of power (ie flexing your middle) rather than stabilisation of the trunk.

It's also important to remember we are looking to train movements not muscles, so any isolation exercises (ones that work just one muscle, like bicep curls or hamstring curls) offer little carry over onto the pitch.

There was I, thinking crunches were the way to go, nevermind :embarrassed:.

I kinda understand what you're on about in this thread and the harrowdrive site is certainly a very good resource. I may look at taking up yoga - it's something that has interersted me for a while and if it can help my core then it's worth a whirl!

Yoga, Pilates, Body Balance; all great for cricket and highly recommended. You can follow a video/DVD but to get the best out of it, attend a class. At least until you acquire a good technique.

Manee,

If you cannot source a viper belt, use a long resistance band around the waist and held behind by a good mate [one you can trust not to let go!]

Be careful placing straps around your arms during movement; they can easily inhibit muscle contraction.

Wrist and ankle weights can help with strength if worn during movement; try it whilst bowling but I would not advise their use on a long term basis.

Hockey balls are not really a big enough contrast to the cricket ball but try it with a wrist weight and take it off for the cricket and foam balls.

Yoga is great, if you enjoy a good lotus position it's certainly going to do you good. But be careful with it. It's certainly no replacement for getting stronger and more mobile in a more specific way.

What do I mean by specific?

Learning to stabilise in a yoga class is different from learning to stabilise on a cricket pitch (even though the muscles are working in the same way). Yoga has very little in the way of fast moving dynamic movements like bowling, batting and throwing does.

Given the choice you will want to do core work that involves moving your arms and legs quickly while keeping your trunk in a stable position. That's where throwing slightly heavier stuff comes in handy.

Martial arts are also good for learning this power transfer.

Harrowdrive said:
Learning to stabilise in a yoga class is different from learning to stabilise on a cricket pitch (even though the muscles are working in the same way). Yoga has very little in the way of fast moving dynamic movements like bowling, batting and throwing does.

Given the choice you will want to do core work that involves moving your arms and legs quickly while keeping your trunk in a stable position. That's where throwing slightly heavier stuff comes in handy.

Martial arts are also good for learning this power transfer.

Would shadow boxing with occasional training against a pad help with the power transfer and strengthening of the core?

This is an awesome thread, has given me so many ideas.

The thought of core training scared me a little but if I can mix it up with some yoga or karate etc then it doesnt seem too bad.

Out of interest, just what is the correct way to do a sit-up?

Couple of things:

What is a viper belt?

Does yoga have a place in my training schedule?

Are all martial arts equal, or is judo better than karate for example

Where is a good place to get swiss ball!

Back