what to have for breaky????

AUSSIE_BOY

what to have for breaky????

is there anything that could b had for breakfast b4 a game that will supply plenty of complex carbs...

i eat a fair size bowl of a protein cereal containing a fair amount of carbs.... but is there anything else that could b advised e.g fruits, breads???? or is wat im doing alright???

Re: what to have for breaky????

Sounds good.

Don't forget your bananas!

Yellow ones before the match; these are more complex and release their energy slowly.

Brown ones during the match; these are more simple and give you a good energy rush.

Plus all the minerals and vitamins, trust me, the list goes on forever!

Liz Ward said:
Don't forget your bananas!

Yellow ones before the match; these are more complex and release their energy slowly.

Brown ones during the match; these are more simple and give you a good energy rush.

Plus all the minerals and vitamins, trust me, the list goes on forever!

I never knew that they were so good for you in terms of energy. My parents own a Fruit and Veg shop so I think I'll stock my bananas when I am playing cricket.

Could you please clarify how long the yellow ones take to release energy. Is it like 30 minutes or 3 hours?

For breakfast, I always have a bowl of cereal (usually outabix minis or coco pops), a fried egg and two toasted waffles. However, I have learned from Harrowdrive to give the cereal a miss on match day.

manee said:
Could you please clarify how long the yellow ones take to release energy. Is it like 30 minutes or 3 hours?
I am afraid it depends on the person and the 'state' and size of the banana.

All fruit is great but just taking the banana for a moment, one large banana, about 9 inches in length, will offer:
140 calories;
602 mg of potassium (see below);
2 g of protein;
36 g of carbohydrates;
4 g of fiber;
only 2 mg of sodium;
123 I.U. of vitamin A;
all the B vitamins;
.07 mg of Thiamine;
.15 mg of Riboflavin;
.82 mg Niacin;
.88 mg vitamin B6;
29 mcg of Folic Acid;
13.8 mg of vitamin C;
9.2 mg Calcium;
44.1 mg Magnesium;
trace amounts of iron and zinc.

Potassium is helpful for your body to maintain the fluid balance in blood and tissue cells.

Potassium is also an essential mineral for protein synthesis and the building of muscle because it stimulates nerve impulses for muscle contraction.

For all you students: 200 students at an English school were helped through their exams recently by eating bananas at breakfast, break and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

I think that will do for now, oh except, the banana plant is the World's largest herb!

I was going to do a long post about this until I realised I have already done one. My opinion is that you don't need too many complex carbs in the morning but you do need a steady supply throughout the long day:

This is my general advice:

http://www.harrowdrive.com/what-should-cricketers-eat-on-match-days/

And this is my thoughts on 'carb loading':

http://www.harrowdrive.com/should-cricketers-load-up-on-carbs-for-extra-energy/

Oh, and bananas are amazing anytime food!

Hows this for a great brekky by the way:

6 egg whites
1 Omega 3 egg whole
1 tomato chopped
mushrooms chopped
fresh washed spinach leaves
Turkey ham
a slice of low fat cheese.

Fry the mushrooms, turkey, tomato and spinach in a little olive oil. Add in the whisked eggs and stir for a couple of minutes. Add the cheese at the end.

Takes 5-10 minutes to make including chopping time.

A massive dose of protein, veggies and healthy fats to see you right up to your pre-game snack.

No, no, no, NO!

You've done it again!

How am I supposed to wait until supper time now? :mad:

It's too close to Christmas, I have no willpower. I'm off to the kitchen... be back in 6-11 minutes.

ahhhh liz and harrow u 2 r champs....

thanks for the info.. i never knew the colour of the banana will change the energy supply...

great links aswell harrow....

cheers...

AUSSIE_BOY said:
thanks for the info.. i never knew the colour of the banana will change the energy supply...

And the taste. Brown bananas are sweeter whilst greener/yellower ones are more crunchy.

I would also stress the need for veg at breakfast. Hardly anyone eats enough veg so get a portion in at breakfast time too.

Let's face it the average cricket lunch or tea is not exactly laden with salad and broccoli.

Lol yeh, a team we played had like heaps of donuts, pizza and soft drink for their tea, and I'm just like, hmm, lets make them run.

Back