Where do I look?

Where do I look?

I have always been told to look at the stumps when I'm running in to bowl but surely I should be looking at where I want the ball to pitch not where I want it to go.

So, just where should I be looking and does it change from bowling action to bowling action?

Re: Where do I look?

I dont konw i look at the stumps and visualize where i want the ball to go.thats a good question any suggestions appreciated

I've never given this much thought to be honest, I always look at where I want the ball to pitch.

I'll have to have a look and see what is recommended.

the coach always tells me to look at the stumps when i bowl yorkers.....i just look at the pitch when i bowl normal balls.

swghayward79 said:
I have always been told to look at the stumps when I'm running in to bowl but surely I should be looking at where I want the ball to pitch not where I want it to go.

So, just where should I be looking and does it change from bowling action to bowling action?

I get the impression that you are a pace bowler. I recommend that you look where you are going to pitch up until the jump where you should tilt your head upward slightly in a straight line so that you can keep it in line with where you want to pitch it and make sure to throw it downwards into the delivery.

Make sure to try and keep your eyes on the target but throwing your head into the delivery is a good way to add pace.

If you have an early morning U15 or U13 game, your tired and stiff and can only bowl 4 overs anyway; I recommend keeping your eyes on the target throughout, this guarantees perfect accuracy but at a loss of any sort of pace. It is a good ploy for keeping the runs down against unimprovising opposition too.

I would say look at where you want it to pitch, you need to lock on the target in order to hit it (paintballing advice there).

I tend to find the opposing team often don't know where to look when I'm playing, my sexiness burns away their retinas. It's hard being this sizzling, have you seen my jaw? Pure lust!

great advice manee :)

Richie Benaud, one of the greatest leg spinners of all time, said to pick out a tiny blade of grass or mark on the pitch where you want to pitch the ball, and try to hit that mark. If you really want to hit something (whether you're throwing it at a bottle or bowling properly in a match) the principle remains the same: the best way is to focus on it as much as possible.

That's really just reiterating what Manee said, but if it's good enough for Ritchie... ;)

Bowling, i look at where i want it to go, then where i want it to end up, then a lil glance up just as the ball is leaving my hand, i think the way a lot of people bowl, where to look is natural, i mean, i've always done it that way, and it usually works, if it doesn't, sometimes i have a longer glance at the ball, or just concentrate on the patch where i want the ball to end up.

It's all about head position rather than exactly where to look.

Make sure your head does not fall away and you won't be far wrong.

Harrowdrive said:
It's all about head position rather than exactly where to look.

Make sure your head does not fall away and you won't be far wrong.

I guess that's the other way to look at it (no pun intended).

Keeping the head 'up' is important in order to maintain the correct line? As well making sure the whole body doesn't fall away dragging the ball down leg.

i generally just keep staring at off stump. it usualy works for me and at the base of the stumps for my yorkers

Back