Where do you take Guard?

Re: Where do you take Guard?

bitsandpieces said:
Stumped and Aussie Boy I totally agree with both of you (though my batting technique isn't quite good enough for me to have a leg-stump guard yet :p)

I know this is a batting thread, but looking at it from the opposite angle, what do you NOT want the bowler to do when you're batting outside your crease? I'm a part-time bowler so would find this handy to know.. :p

I'm an opening bowler, when a batsmen bats out of his crease, keep digging in the short balls till he gets back, then fire in the fuller balls. Nothing is worse for a batsmen than not knowing when the next one is flying past his nose :)

Stumped said:
thats what helmets are for ! :p

Boy do they get a workout! Even knowing you have a helmet on, you still have it in the back of your mind, and that's what you're trying to achieve

bouncers when out of my crease are no worry 2 me... if the bowler keeps a consistant nose height bouncer coming, ill move forward another 1/2 - 1 foot then it becomes a ball i can pull...... im sure it would work on a lower order batsmen though or a batsmen that is NOT confident on the back foot.... although moving back into your crease would make the ball even shorter ???

AUSSIE_BOY said:
bouncers when out of my crease are no worry 2 me... if the bowler keeps a consistant nose height bouncer coming, ill move forward another 1/2 - 1 foot then it becomes a ball i can pull...... im sure it would work on a lower order batsmen though or a batsmen that is NOT confident on the back foot.... although moving back into your crease would make the ball even shorter ???

What pace are you guys facing? anywhere near 80mph?

yeah m8.... few of the prime boys in our comp are hitting up to 80mph... the bloke that broke my nose with a boucer was bowling that...

to be fair most of our quickest are around 70- 75mph.... but i do prefer faster bowlers! especially on a flat wicket! :D

Its generally one foot on either side of the crease. Sometimes I walk up and down the crease to disturb them and it confuses bowlers. I even change my stance for fun at times but then revert back to a proper stance during the runup. It doesnt distract me but does distract some bowlers.

Middle and Off to pace bowlers to cut away the chance of losing sight of my off stump, im good on my legs so im not too worried about playing off of them, to fast bowlers i stand a pace out of my crease to cut out the swing and some of the bounce. Middle stump otherwise to most other bowling

I take middle, simply because it is how I have been brought out and I have no reason to question it.

I have a quick question as a fast bowler. :p

If the batsman is standing out of his crease and walks further down the pitch while I'm running in to bowl, am I allowed to bowl a beamer, or will it still be counted as a no-ball. I mean it could be over waist height to the batsman, but hitting the top of the stumps or something like that by the time the ball reaches there. What's the rule about this one?

(b) Bowling of high full pitched balls
(i) Any delivery, other than a slow paced one, which passes or would have passed on the full above waist height of the striker standing upright at the crease is to be deemed dangerous and unfair, whether or not it is likely to inflict physical injury on the striker.

So it's only a no-ball if it's above waist height at the crease - if he wants to walk halfway down and take it in the short ribs that's his problem ;)

if i am better off my backfoot, that means I should be standing on/inside the crease, right? or is the difference in length created by it negligible?

normally i take middle stump with one foot on either side of the line to medium pacers, and i stand a little bit outside my crease to faster bowlers.

UnCricket,
Do u have any trouble batting with one feet either side of the crease.

WHen facing the fast bowlers; I take a Middle and leg guard with feet slightly outside the crease.
When facing an offspinner;it is middle stump guard and when facing leg spinner/left arm othrodox spinner it is leg stump guard and one feet on either side of crease.

not really, it seems easier when facing seamers because I tend to go on my backfoot, so I feel like I can execute the shots better. that's why i'm wondering if the better strategy is to stay closer to the crease when facing them.

If ur doing fine then it should not be a problem.
Play ur natural game.
If u want to improve then try it out in the nets first then later on in the matches.

Middle stump, one foot on either side of the crease for fast bowlers & outside the crease for the medium pacers

Back