WHO/WHAT AM I

You blokes dont find hiring someone to do the mourning for you strange?
No, in Germany it's common practice if you decide on having a funeral service and this is very often the case. To be precise, the eulogist "doesn't do the mourning for you". In fact, it's the opposite: he or she doesn't mourn at all and that's exactly why s/he's hired because they're often the only ones who are in a position of giving a funeral address. All the other attendees can't since they are mourning.
What a contrast, don't you think? 🤔

Do you mean that little town in Saxony
I do. Had forgotten that you were a local. You'd be surprised at the number of older English folk who love that porcelain. I don't have any but can tell it a mile away. West German era pottery's very distinctive too, but it often looks like something that should be issued to NATO. UK equivalent of Meissen is Royal Doulton.
⚔️

Last edited:
I do. Had forgotten that you were a local. You'd be surprised at the number of older English folk who love that porcelain. I don't have any but can tell it a mile away. West German era pottery's very distinctive too, but it often looks like something that should be issued to NATO. UK equivalent of Meissen is Royal Doulton.
⚔️

I wouldn't have thought that anyone living as far away as in AUS might know the porcelain. Part of my family comes from Meissen. There're numerous examples of processing that theme creatively. It's a real household name to me. My mother possessed a vine leaves service and was very proud of it although it was thirds only.

Yours Vince
I thought you guessed pottery.

Here's something in reverse. I'll tell you the profession, you just to have to describe exactly what it entails.

Hump master in a Chicago & North Western railroad yard operating a signal switch system which extends the length of the hump track.

Attachments

• SHORPY_1a34623u.preview.jpg
    SHORPY_1a34623u.preview.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 2
I thought you guessed pottery.

Here's something in reverse. I'll tell you the profession, you just to have to describe exactly what it entails.

Hump master in a Chicago & North Western railroad yard operating a signal switch system which extends the length of the hump track.
He controls the speed of cars that are rolling down the hump by operating the brakes of a car from a distance.

He controls movements of locomotives pushing the train over the hump.

Last edited:
Thomas got it. The "hump" is the equivalent of what a low large water tank would be in irrigation. Cars and wagons waiting to be sorted into sidings or platforms are raised there by motive power, then allowed to coast down to their destinations under mild braking when called. The idea is to save having to use locomotives for just waiting around.
He controls the speed of cars that are rolling down the hump by operating the brakes of a car from a distance.
I didn't think of that development. The man in the photo would have used the phone or lights to give the brakemen their orders then trusted them to get on with it. With modern automation and instrumentation, less labour intensive but hardly yet a one man job.

Saxony and Dresden get mentioned! I just followed the photo👀

Thomas got it. The "hump" is the equivalent of what a low large water tank would be in irrigation. Cars and wagons waiting to be sorted into sidings or platforms are raised there by motive power, then allowed to coast down to their destinations under mild braking when called. The idea is to save having to use locomotives for just waiting around.

I didn't think of that development. The man in the photo would have used the phone or lights to give the brakemen their orders then trusted them to get on with it. With modern automation and instrumentation, less labour intensive but hardly yet a one man job.

Saxony and Dresden get mentioned! I just followed the photo👀
And so is Chemnitz-Hilbersdorf, a place I passed by on a daily basis for thirty years without knowing that a gravity yard museum exists.😲

Back