Wicket Keeping To Spinners

someblokecalleddave

See if this generates any responses, as it would be useful to have a Keepers take on what they think is important in this relationship? I'd love to be able to bowl to a Keeper on a regular basis and discuss tactics as they're up that end and they can see what you're doing from a different perspective and they're also key in the psychological warfare with the batsman. A keeper that's chatty behind the stumps giving it 'Whoa'! - 'Ooh'! and 'Bowling Shane'! Is always an asset.

assuming he gets the wicket keeping job for the league 2nd XI this season, which he probably should, i could end up bowling to a great wicket keeper this year. played with him a few times outdoors already but not in league matches, and hes been playing quite a bit indoors over the winter. his glove work is spot on (especially on wides, and he always gets back for the stumping), hes good at reading the delivery, and hes very vocal. its hugely important to have someone like that behind the stumps. our first XI keeper (should i break into the team) is also pretty good, but ive only played 1 match with him and i didnt bowl.

assuming he gets the wicket keeping job for the league 2nd XI this season, which he probably should, i could end up bowling to a great wicket keeper this year. played with him a few times outdoors already but not in league matches, and hes been playing quite a bit indoors over the winter. his glove work is spot on (especially on wides, and he always gets back for the stumping), hes good at reading the delivery, and hes very vocal. its hugely important to have someone like that behind the stumps. our first XI keeper (should i break into the team) is also pretty good, but ive only played 1 match with him and i didnt bowl.

Sounds pretty good, at Grays we never had a consistent keeper, but at Basildon this year it does look as though there's going to be the one bloke for most of the time and he's the sort of bloke (Although young - 15?) you can talk to and he'll listen and take things on board and possible give you ideas, as he's quite confident. Can't say that he's that vocal though.

there are probably 4 keepers at my club. the first XI keeper only plays saturday league cricket. the 2nd XI has an older guy that has kept for years and hes not bad, but hes not as sharp as he probably was back in the day. the other guy that sometimes keeps is probably about my age and improving all the time, and should probably be the 2nd XI keeper this season, i rate him as the best keeper to my bowling. then there is another older guy who is still a pretty solid keeper who tends to try to just play sunday friendlies and then fill in for league sides if they are short now. they all bat upper middle order though, so are quite versatile. you can rotate any of the keepers between keeping and batting duties quite easily so theres lots of flexibility in who plays where.

My keeper at my old club was quality, reminded me of Prior because he was very chatty, just like I am as well. At my new club, I've had various keepers, as the original keeper had knee reconstruction, so we had a new lad, who was a young lad, good keeper but a bit wet behind the ears as it were, still learning his trade. We had someone else in as well, decent enough keeper, not brilliant, but was very vocal. At my old club I was most at home, good keeper who would work with me on stuff like that, as I got him 13 stumpings in one season, he reeeally liked that!

Yeah see, if they work with us, there must be an increased chance in getting wickets through stumpings, there's the additional factor that they're usually middle or higher order batsmen in which case they'd have another take on which kind of balls cause them more trouble than others?

Back