Wicket Keeping

StanTheMan

Wicket Keeping

I want to take up keeping have no idea how to start.

I've messed around in the nets and at practice and think that I have a bit of flair for it but want to know how to take it further.

Also, what kit will I need. I know about the pads and gloves but is there anything else, also, is there any kit that you lot can recommend?

Re: Wicket Keeping

As I'm passing through at the moment I haven't got time to go into details but a good place to start would be the BBC cricket skills section.

Also, you're doing the right thing by giving it a go, teams always need keepers and providing you're willing to work at it you'll be alright!

To get started you need to find a few bits out.

It might be a bit of expense, but im sure you can find something online, but a great place to start are Wicketkeepers auto-biographys. Some tend to have help etc. in them.

Secondly, the BBC website is fantastic with its acadamy thing it has on there.

I've unfortunately not got time to post up a guide, but I definately will as im a bit of a fustrated keeper, i love doing it, just cant handle the pressure i suppose ;) Either way, i love it, and ill write up a "dummies guide," to getting started and give links and stuff to good kit!

StanTheMan said:
I want to take up keeping have no idea how to start.

I've messed around in the nets and at practice and think that I have a bit of flair for it but want to know how to take it further.

Also, what kit will I need. I know about the pads and gloves but is there anything else, also, is there any kit that you lot can recommend?

As mentioned earlier, the BBC section is your best resource with Simbazz in close second.

The only advise I can give is to wear a helmet, standing forward and back for the first month or two of wicket keeping and to use long barrier when taking a ball that has bounced twice on its way to you.

Checked out the BBC and it was pretty good, got some basics from there.

Are there any good coaching books out there?

Back