Wicketkeeping Assistance

Re: Wicketkeeping Assistance

wannabekeeper said:
On a technical note related to keeping, can anyone give me tips for taking the ball down leg when the batsman blocks my line of vision I find it really difficult

It takes practice as it's very tough. The trick is to watch the ball until the last moment then move your hands and feet quickly to where you have guessed the ball will be.

Even the best are just making an educated guess when it comes to leg side takes.

One way to practice it, is to just try to replicate it. Get someone to stand in the way and have somebody fire a ball down leg for you to practice taking. It's not easy at first but you do get an 'instinctive' feeling for it.

I have some more vids....poor quality tho (recorded off the tele with my phone)

Some people requested some vids with me keeping back so I have two of those and one of me keeping up.

Once again sorry for the poor quality but once the disc's finished i will make a short high quality movie.

Keeping up.
http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee206/nickcarryl/

Keeping back.
http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee206/nickcarryl/
http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee206/nickcarryl/?action=view&current=keepingback2.flv

sorry once again for the short poor quality vids :cry

still fairly hard to pick as the ball isnt really pressuring u.... but from the looks of things your going well ;)

yea. i know that it doesn't look too difficult. But when the finished video is done there should be some match footage or at least some footage with a batsman

Going into it a bit more, in the one video you seem to snatch at a ball on your right hand side, ideally you should have gotten more behind it - that's down to footwork.

Other than that, it seems ok, head is over the gloves etc.

Are you rising with the bounce of the ball when keeping to spinners? Ive been told that is what you are meant to do. It looks like when you re standing up you have to rise very quickly and it doesnt look very comfortable. Im not sure though, you will know whats best for you

Just a little point, going back to A_A's comment on footwork:

Great two-dimentional mobility but I cannot see you moving much in depth. Of course, this just may be the angle of the camera.

Out of curiosity, has your coach discussed the "K" with you?

Are you comfortable rotating, moving the outside leg and hands along the appropriate "K"?

If you can, try and post a video from side on.

OK WBK, visualise standing about 60cm behind the stumps, looking down the wicket. Your feet should be slightly more than hip width apart

Visualise a line, just in front of your feet, travelling from left to right. If you can, get hold of a broom handle (three if possible) it will help. Place one broom handle in front of you, your toes just touching it.

Place the other two broom handles (or something similar) either side of your feet, the ends touching the first broom handle should be about 2cm from your feet, the other ends a lot wider apart. (If you stepped to the left and looked at it, it would look similar to a capital "K").

If you take the ball to your left, you should move your left foot and hands back along the line of the left broom handle, giving in that direction. If you take the ball to your right, you should move your right foot and hands back along the line of the right broom handle, giving in that direction.

This gives you a more three dimensional play, saving a lot of energy. However, as you step back, you have to rotate at the waist, so just check this is comfortable for you.

Thanks for explaining the 'K' to me. I've heard it mentioned but not in any great detail. Will try to incorporate into my game.

I keep seeing ads for an orange deflection mat\pad - has anyone else seen this and are they any good for keeper training?

Back