Will Kevin Pietersen be a success?

Will Kevin Pietersen be a sucess as the new England captain?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Will Kevin Pietersen be a success?

I said yes based on nothing more than gut instinct and hope!! He's done everything else he's tried pretty well so I wouldn't think this will be much different.

Would success not be defined as winning the Ashes or World Cup? Then no.

I voted no just because of the fact that my instincts point that way, we'll just have to wait and see how he goes.
His batting i think would dramatically change as now he has to think about the teams score and he may end up trying to play to sensibley and not his natural way.

wolf;28639 said:
Would success not be defined as winning the Ashes or World Cup? Then no.

Now, that is a very good point. At the moment I guess that the Ashes may well be the ultimate prize but we can also gauge success on actual win rate or progress made by the team? At the moment we look pretty rudderless and not really going anywhere, if he can change that then that is success of kind.

I think no. I don't know a lot about English cricket but I just don't see him as a good leader.

But I do think he may be able to improve the side, somehow. So I'm not sure.

I think he can if he becomes more of a team man,
right now it just seems to me like its always
about him in his eyes...

There's no doubting that it's a ballsy decision. I absolutely detested the bloke until he came down to Australia as a part of the World XI. In one of the warm up games against Victoria, he was fielding out on the boundary and copping an absolute truck load - he took it all in his stride, played with the crowd. That's cool, I expect most international stars to do that, especially the cocky self-assured type. Then it started to get a little personal and the language pretty bad. K.P turned to the main offenders and said with more authority than i've seen before "Look, I don't care what you say about me. But there and women and children around and that language isn't acceptable." From then on, I don't think I heard one swear word from anyone in the vacinity, least of all the main offenders until that point.

I think we all know the bloke has a more than decent cricketing brain, but the way that he conducted himself that day, convinced me beyond all doubt that he's bloody good leader, and a genuinely good person (albeit a cocky one) who won't settle for rubbish. It'll be a shame if he is judged solely on whether he can win the ashes.

Massive Australia K.P fan right here, haha.

He has done well in his first game. He is a aggressive cricketer and I think England needs such a captain.

I think he could do well. He has a good attacking attitude and doesn't like to lose and that could spur on the team. However, I've heard he puts a LOT of thought into his batting proir to an innings, which he may not have time to do now, so it is possible his batting will falter in the next series. I'd like to see him do well though - he is arrogant but he gets up the oppositions noses and it can be fun to watch.

He won the test match but the actual test will be when his team is struggling and he has to score the most.
That time his batting and captaincy will be tested.
Also as mentioned above the true captaincy will tested during the Ashes and World Cup.
The next year's 20/20 world cup is in England........Right..

It's great to see England doing well, but I think Virender is right:

Virendersingh.berthwal;28983 said:
the actual test will be when his team is struggling and he has to score the most.

I'll be very interested to see how Pietersen copes with his first loss (if it ever happens :p). The team are on a high now, and riding a wave of good feeling, but we won't really see what he's made of until he fails for the first time. Hopefully the batting performance of the other day (out for 5 I think) isn't the start of things to come. I'm sure it's not though, he's too classy and talented a batsman for that to just disappear - though I don't know what Vaughan was like before the captaincy having only started to watch cricket around the time he started the job.

well sadly he has had low scores before! lol

it has to be a positive thing from ENgland and he will bring out the best in people!

England have gone from 6th to 3rd in the ICC ODI Rankings since Pietersen has taken over. :eek:

Wales' biggest contribution to British cricket since Simon Jones got crocked in '05!!! :p

Well played KP so far, but the India pitches could provide a very different challenge and somehow I think we'll need more spinners than Samit Patel.

i'm sure the indian pitches will be fine! its the bowlers we have to worry about!

Back