Will we ever Vaughan in an England shirt again?

Will Vaughan regain his England place?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

mas cambios

Will we ever Vaughan in an England shirt again?

I see that Vaughan suffered another (by his standards) failure in the recent county championship match.

Bearing this in mind with his poor test form (and retirement from the captaincy) this summer (save for his ton against NZ) it looks likely that his England days are numbered.

He's 33 now so it could be considered that his best days are behind him, especially for a player who always seemed to rely on 'touch' for form. There have been murmurings that his eyes aren't what they were, although the word from the Vaughan camp is that he's just been unlucky in getting a lot of good balls or poor decisions.

I've also seen talk that he is planning on leaving Yorkshire, which could also be seen as a sign that things are not 100% - indeed it has been rumoured that the likes of Gough are none too pleased to have him back in the side due to his poor form.

All of the above would really be an unfitting ending to someone, who on his day was a great batsman and had few peers when it came to the cover drive. I'm sure in his mind the ideal send off would have been a victorious 2009 Ashes campaign.

So, will we see Vaughan back in the England side again or was the test at Edgbaston his last hurrah?

Re: Will we ever Vaughan in an England shirt again?

maybe he should accept that his time is up and retire from the test team? takes a big man to that, is he big enough?

well if alistair cook can earn a place and strauss then he still has a chance with some good form! the onlything against him is his Age!

I think it's fairly unlikely. Strangely, I think his best chance of getting back in would be to stop trying. If his captaincy proved anything it was that he doesn't bat well with other things on his mind.
With regard to the changing clubs rumour, I think that started on sky. Gower said he changed clubs after his captaincy, and thinks Vaughan should do the same for a fresh start. He's denied it himself.

As much as I'd like to see him back in the team, I'd only like it if he proves his worth in County Cricket, and doesn't just get in because he's Michael Vaughan. I still think he's living off the back of the 2003 Ashes Tour in Australia. He's certainly not been anywhere near that form since he took the captaincy, and I think until he can get back to form as good as that he should be left out. I'd much rather see someone like Joe Denly called into the Test Side to replace Strauss. I can't see Vaughan getting into the middle order, he either bats in the first 2 or at 3. I'm sure he'll be selected for the India tour though, even if he doesn't get a score of real note.

I think Shah deserves a run in the test team but we've got a (relative) wealth of middle order talent at the moment. Denly might be an option but we don't want to blood him too early and India isn't exactly a friendly place to make your debut (unless your name's Alastair Cook).

I think we'll need five bowlers in India so will have to bat Flintoff/keeper (if Prior) at 6.

It seems that everyone thinks Vaughan is done for good. I think he deserves a chance in India. The pitches are conducive to batting and they always provide a good opportunity for batsmen to regain their lost form.

Everyones a good player when on form LOL. It's just how often they produce that form!

He has three more innings. If he doesn't get past 20 in those I think he will be in the Lions tour to give him more time. I expect him to be named in the Test team next week with the selectors saying he will go early to India to try and get some runs. A bit like Strauss going to New Zealand where he didn't get many runs and still joined the England side.

Graeme Smith went through a similar lean spell when he was captain as Vaughan but he didn't talk about dropping the captaincy. I think the media played a part in Vaughan stepping down as all the speculation about whether he should be in the side put him under a lot of pressure. I think you need a thick skin and the backing from your coach and team. Hussain also had a lean spell but came out of it. In 2000 he played 11 Tests and his average was 15.00.

Smith - Oct 2005 - Jan 2007 - 13 Tests 709 runs 28.36. (batting 2007 - 27.00)
Vaughan - Aug 07-July 2008 - 13 Tests 631 runs 27.43 (batting 2008 - 24.20)

Hopefully we dont, time to move on

He's picked up an injury now. Not sure how severe it is though.

Sorry to spoil your thoughts Mas, But I think that Michael Vaughan has caught the old farts disease and won't be back in as a player.
He could coach the team in some years to come. But as a player nup he won't play again.

51685.jpg

His reaction to this question sums it all up! ;)

Micheal Vaughan is possibly England's best ever captain! The stats are there to bak him up as well! Yes Vaughan is goin through a tough period atm where he his struggling for runs and form but wat happens if he discovers the form he produced in Australia when he was the ranked the best batsman in the world?? Has his time still past due to his age? Another point i'm gonna make as well is KP's form will drop as every cricketers does do we then say KP is past it and get on his bak?? The media and supports in England are like no other around the world, we get on the bak of a player as soon as his form starts to drop instead of supportin the player.

Back