Woodworm bat

danho4

Woodworm bat

hey guys, just started playing cricket again. just picked up a used bat. its a slazenger v389 pro. he said its been used for 1 season of cricket since he got it in 2007.

anyway dont really like the feel of it so looking to get a new bat.
i'm just a club cricketer there for a bit of fun and a bit of a hit but am really competitive and would like to make some runs.

atm i always see cheap WoodWorm bats and am really tempted in getting one for the price.

Looking at a:
Flame Premier Grade 1 Eng Willow Bat
or
Torch Premier Grade 1 eng willow bat

atm both retailing for about AU200 dollars so its pretty cheap.

can someone or everyone let me know if this is the way to go.
performance, life span etc
anyone who has had experiences with one.

finding mixed reveiws about breakages so dont know what to do.
i really like the looks of them
any help will be appreciated.

cheers guys

Re: Woodworm bat

A few have broken due to being pressed a bit too soft but they are generally good bats for the club player.

Providing you knock it in properly you should be ok.

do they require more knocking in then usual bats? i read something about the willow being softer? what would be good preparation for the woodworm?

You have to play it by ear, so to speak. Each bat is going to be slightly different in what they need but 6 hours is a good benchmark figure.

One way to tell if a bat is knocked in or nearing being knocked in is the thumbnail test. If you can easily make a mark with your nail then it probably needs a bit more work, if you can't then it's ready for soft balls in the nets.

Of course willow is natural and as such bats do and will break from time to time regardless of preparation etc. It's rare but does happen but in most cases if it happens to a new/newish bat most manufacturers will repair, give you a replacement of money of a new one (depending on when it broke).

I would advise not to go for a Woodworm, the reason they're so cheap is because the factory shut down due to lack of bat sales. There is a reason for lack of bat sales as there quality of the willow isn't great. My Woodworm broke after about 6 months & I got a replacement which also cracked. It may be cheaper but don't be fooled by the price!

hey mate, just wondering what woodworm bat you had?
and you went thru all the bat preparation stuff properly and still broke?

danho4;370103 said:
do they require more knocking in then usual bats? i read something about the willow being softer? what would be good preparation for the woodworm?

Danho4 with all due respect to Mas's advice, if you are after an "official" guide to knocking in a bat correctly check out this link...............

Laver & Wood Online: Individually Handcrafted Cricket Bats

These people make bats and the master bat maker is from England hwer ehe "did his time" at the craft. You can read the blurb at the site if you wish. I have used this method on two successive bats, that have not been pressed, and they have turned out sweet as!:D

I found this site after receiving so much varied local advice on knocking in bats that I was just entirely confused. :(

I'm pretty sure all Rebel Sports around Australia have 50% all Woodworm stuff until all their stock is cleared. It's been like that for a few months though so most stores are down to junk junior bats, pads and gloves.

Slower Ball;370349 said:
I would advise not to go for a Woodworm, the reason they're so cheap is because the factory shut down due to lack of bat sales. There is a reason for lack of bat sales as there quality of the willow isn't great. My Woodworm broke after about 6 months & I got a replacement which also cracked. It may be cheaper but don't be fooled by the price!
They got in to trouble as they tried to break into golf and spent huge money on Ernie Els etc. They didn't break the market and it lead them on the road to ruin.

Cricket wasn't their problem at all. In fact many of their bats came from the same factory as Kookaburra and Adidas.

Back