World Cup Farce

Shamrock

So the ICC once again prove that anything FIFA can do they can do better when it comes to corrupt and dodgy practices.

2015 world cup reduced to test playing sides only? What a joke. Zimbabwe should not even BE a test playing side at the moment and have not played a test in how long now??? They are also not in the Top 10 ODI sides, so they should be allowed to play to placate the sub continent at the expense of a side that actually deserves it's place on merit?

Now I am not saying any side should automatically qualify (except Aus & NZ as hosts and India as holders) but to not have any qualifying tournament is just a joke and proves once and for all that greed and corruption populates the ICC from top to bottom.

Here is what they should do. 1 year from now the top 8 sides as ranked by ICC for ODI's qualify for world cup 2015 . 1 year later the 2 test sides not in the top 8 and the associates play a qualifying tournament for the last 2 spots. This would ensure that the ODI rankings become useful and teams have something to play for as well as giving the best associate sides the opportunity to qualify for the World cup.

Of course the ICC will not do this cos they are greedy and corrupt and care not .0001% about developing the game.

And yes while I am Irish (obv enough) I defy anyone to say that the associates do not at least deserve the CHANCE to qualify. If they are good enough then they make it if not then they need to raise their games. No handouts just a fair go!

I agree with you, the decision is a joke and will inhibit the growth of the game in the associate and also the affiliate nations. If I had it my way, the World Cup would be a 16-team tournament with four groups of four in a group stage followed by quarter finals, semi finals and of course a grand final.

The ICC are really shooting themselves in the foot by doing this but they don't seem to care, it only means more money to them through each team playing nine matches in the first stage of the tournament.

Complete farce.

Absolutely agree with you Shamrock. People want the World Cup to be shorter, and the only way is to reduce the teams in reality. But to do that you take the World out of the World Cup and it just turns into a rerun of the Champions Trophy.

Your idea there both reduces the teams and allows the associates a spot in the side if they are truly good enough. Of course the qualifying competition cannot be a knockout style one, as cricket is based around series not one off games, but it is a good idea.

I'm not sure how FIFA does things but doesn't every country have to qualify? Other than the hosts and the reiging champions anyway. What's wrong with having a small qualifying tournament for all of the Test teams as well? Teams like the West Indies and Bangladesh might end up struggling to get in, though, wherein lies the problem. If those teams don't get into the WC, then interest in their countries for cricket dies off even more (for the Windies case anyway) and the fans that would have watched it easily outweigh the amount of fans that would watch the associates.

As always I think the answer lies more in Tests. The ICC has to put their full effort in getting at least two more Test playing nations up to true Test standard. Look at how Sri Lanka rose to now be within the top 3 in the world. Up until there was some issue that made them call off the tour, Zimbabwe were going to host Ireland for 3 ODIs and a 3 match First Class series, so that Ireland can improve their longer game and look for a Test place. Once they get that Test place they will inevitably increase the amount of fans, and if they start winning they increase it even more. Then when they go to qualify for the WC they can then qualify ahead of weaker mainstream countries and the result isn't so bad moneywise.

The ICC must push Tests, the first target being Ireland. Sometime within the next 20 years they have to be at a level where they can become part of this new Test championship idea.

The ICC are f***ing idiots, they have gone from too many associates imo to the other extreme zero.. A 12 or 14 team World Cup would be perfect. Ireland show some potential and now have no chance to even qualify yet other garbage teams like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh get a free pass.

Why even bother? Need to grow the game ffs.

Well it may only get worse. CA are pushing for the split innings idea they trialed last year for the one dayers the last I heard and really wanting to throw things on their head and spark some interest in ODIs.

What did you guys think about the split innings idea now that the trial period has come to an end? Will the continue and push on with it next season?

The ICC are a complete joke, always have been. They are under the financial control of India and don't seem to have any balls to run the game.
Totally agree with you, i would even go further and play qualifying like FIFA do and require everyone to qualify. This may put some more interest into the one dayers played year round. Only teams straight through being host and champion.

Back