Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Season starts again for my 14 year old son in 10 days and a bit worried some of his opponents have played rep and 20/20 twilight in the break so after some target practise for a few days we have got some net sessions lined up for the weekend.

Our scorer hasn't updated the stats but i know my young bloke is at 33 overs 5 maidens 7/70. 3 rep players and 4 of top 6 bats in comp amongst his scalps.

Season starts again for my 14 year old son in 10 days and a bit worried some of his opponents have played rep and 20/20 twilight in the break so after some target practise for a few days we got some net sessions lined up for the weekend.

Our scorer hasn't updated the stats but i know my young bloke is at 33 overs 5 maidens 7/70. 3 rep players and 4 of top 6 bats in comp amongst his scalps.

Here is pumping out his legbreak yesterday. Stock ball pretty much, bit of dip and drift bit of spin and bounce. Looks easy to bat against but if you are on the batting crease facing him you might find him a pretty tricky customer when he gets to work on you.

That looks good, I'm sure he will do well this season. Deliveries in that sort of area are not easy to play/score off...

My younger son Joe does better using a similar technique, if he's set the task of bowling 3 good balls he goes at it in a different more positive way, it's as though he kind of makes sense of the fact that he's given an easily understood task and at the same time he sees '3 good balls' as an achievable task and gets a buzz off of doing it and then you reset the task as he gets there to 'Keep going make it 5 good balls, now you've got your 3'.

Jimmy looks as though he's grown about a foot since the last video I saw!!!

Agree with the set up, Oli hasnt done any 1-2-1 bowling with me yet this off season, but I am planning on getting him to bowl 6 balls then a bit of catching, then another 6. This will hopefully help with concentration and also with match scenario where he will probably get to field at slip for a lot of the time. Glad to finally put a picture to Jimmy, certainly has a hell of a lot of control for a lad his age, which his figures back up

Washout this round, but it turned out a nice day in the end so we got an early start for next week because that is a big game.1 Left and 1 right hand rep bats in the opposition.

Might get some footage of him bowling in the game next week and show how he puts it all together.

Washout this round, but it turned out a nice day in the end so we got an early start for next week because that is a big game.1 Left and 1 right hand rep bats in the opposition.

Might get some footage of him bowling in the game next week and show how he puts it all together.

Looking forward to that Macca!

Nice looking ground that, I take it you've had a wet summer this year - all the grass is lush and green!

It's been the wettest summer in a long time and we seem to cop these thunderstorms on the friday nights before the game that flood the grounds.

Luckily my sons team are sitting in 2nd place so they didn't need to play the washed out rounds to make the semis. Already know who we will play in the semi final. A really good team that our boys managed to beat in round one but I rate this opposition very highly. They play round 2 next week and then meet again in 2 weeks for semi no1.

They have 3 really talented bats that play senior club cricket as well. Two righthanders and one lefthander. Jimmy has got the the two righthanders out cheaply before but not the lefthander. The left hander is the best player of legspin in the comp, in my opinion. He doesn't know it, but Jimmys gunning for him next week if he gets a chance.

We did a 6 over net session today with me batting lefthanded and will do a few more before next saturday. Matting was damp so ball wouldn't grip to spin much. Or rather topspinning legbreaks wouldn't turn but once I told him to take off the topspin and go for backspin/sidespin he got some good turn.

That is a when backspin comes in handy, on the damp synthetic surface your stock legbreak with its serve of topspin wont grip and goes like a topspinner or even on with the arm like an offcutter. If you bowl like that you get played like a slow medium with ease but if you can get sidespin to backspin you can still turn the ball and force the batsman to play for spin. Then you can use the dampness to skid a shorter, faster topspinner right on the stumps.

A woo hoo. First nets of the winter/spring training today and all was fairly well, playing on mats in a sports hall and the bounce was decidedly off but they weren't too bad to bowl on. Found line and length fairly quickly which bodes well and was getting really big turn. Thanks there must go to Macca for all the talk of trying to get a bit of backspin on the leg break. Topspinner was just about passable but to be honest I was throwing down a lot of dross. Googly was horrendous, couldn't say I piched a single on in a good spot or with any real turn. Managed to pitch a couple of flippers (Warne style) in some nice areas though. Fairly promising start and definitely a nice change from keeping!

A woo hoo. First nets of the winter/spring training today and all was fairly well, playing on mats in a sports hall and the bounce was decidedly off but they weren't too bad to bowl on. Found line and length fairly quickly which bodes well and was getting really big turn. Thanks there must go to Macca for all the talk of trying to get a bit of backspin on the leg break. Topspinner was just about passable but to be honest I was throwing down a lot of dross. Googly was horrendous, couldn't say I piched a single on in a good spot or with any real turn. Managed to pitch a couple of flippers (Warne style) in some nice areas though. Fairly promising start and definitely a nice change from keeping!

Sounds like you tried out everything in that first session. Wrongun might be a season or two away ? Wouldn't really matter would it ? You might jag the odd googly from topspinner attempt anyway?

Horses for courses with the backspin. Topspin is usually better for lots of reasons but sometimes that sidespin/backspin combo does the trick, like on wet matting.

@macca and @dave is there any way to bowl more round arm ? (its for my friend)

Macca's the round arm advocate. I'm more of a near vertical bowler! Have a look at the video links thread, there's bound to be one or two videos in there featuring Clarrie Grimmett posted by 'Sadspinner' he's the best example I'd imagine of a round arm wrist spinner. But, I'd say that if you were looking to bowl more round arm, it's the same as any other bowling - simply a case of practicing.

@macca and @dave is there any way to bowl more round arm ? (its for my friend)

Something they could try is underarm then sidearm then roundarm. Sort of working up to it rather then trying to lower it from the top.

A session wearing a broad brimmed hat and making sure their bowling arm misses the hat is a good one to get kids to lower their arm if they are too over the top.

I find a bit difficult to bowl to left handers. Do you have any tips or tricks the bowl to lefhanders bowl from over the wicket or around the wicket .Should I bowl slower or faster ? come around the wicket try to find the gap between bat and pad or from over the wicket try to find a nick behind ?

My sons team lost today and now will have to play an away semi final in a fortnight against the same team.

By the time jimmy got to bowl the game was pretty much lost anyway and he probably had his worst spell of the season today 0/12 off 3 overs which gives him 7/82 off 35 overs with 5 maidens for the season. He was a bit unlucky with a couple of skiers landing safely and a missed stumping but I think this lefthander he came up against today is the best player of spin in the comp.

Another thing is the team they played today have a pretty good legspinner, he's a bit inconsistent but the teams without a legspinner are at a disadvantage because they dont get to train and practise against it.

I find a bit difficult to bowl to left handers. Do you have any tips or tricks the bowl to lefhanders bowl from over the wicket or around the wicket .Should I bowl slower or faster ? come around the wicket try to find the gap between bat and pad or from over the wicket try to find a nick behind ?

Funny you should mention lefthanders because that is what we have been working on a lot this week because i knew my son would be bowling to a very good one today.

My son likes to start off over the wicket than after a couple of balls go around. Warne used to do that a lot to lefties because he reckoned that angle change could undo them early in your spell.

You mustn't develop a phobia against lefthanders even though for a legspinner they are supposed to be harder to bowl to. Someone posted here that one third of all centuries against warne were by lefthanders. I dont know if thats true but Grimmett hated them and O Rielly wanted them banned!

You have less of a target to bowl to against a lefthander. Its like you draw a line from middle stump to middle stump giving you half a pitch. Then if you centre on that half pitch you should be a foot or so outside his off stump. You have to keep it off his legs anyway.

One big plus in your favour is lefthanders dont face the ball spinning in that often. Then there is the topspinner and wrongun. So really a legspinner to a lefthander is a bit like an offie to a righthander and with a wrongun you have a doosra as well.

Something they could try is underarm then sidearm then roundarm. Sort of working up to it rather then trying to lower it from the top.

A session wearing a broad brimmed hat and making sure their bowling arm misses the hat is a good one to get kids to lower their arm if they are too over the top.

How round arm is grimmet ?
do you have any match footage?
Or grimmet talking about arm position in his books ?

Back