Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

...and thud back to earth, second game and the first loss of the seasion against a decentish side. We had the first chance to bowl on an early season wicket but although the pitch looked awful there was nothing for any kind of bowler, again one of the opening bowlers just did not fire but thankfully it was because he had only just comeback from uni and not because of the meltdown like one guy had last week. For us spinners it was a case of adapting to a dead wicket, on a small fast outfield against wellset batsmen. During the game I thought I bowled awful but in retrospect it wasn't that bad, 7-0-31-0 with the batsmen trying to hit me but not succeeding is OK considering I was getting no turn. The protege had similar frustrations with the pitch, 9-2-43-2 doesn't look great but he bowled 2 of his overs in the last 10 (cost 20 runs) due to the aforementioned quickie bowling rubbish.

Main thing I need after this game is practice, practice and more practice. During the game I felt zero rhythm and tried to force something to happen by putting too much effort into my follow through which unfortunately meant that my bodyweight kept going to first slip while I was aiming at the stumps, I need to get the feel back so I don't let that happen again. For the protege he'll need to take on board that somedays you won't be able to make the ball talk and you just need to make the batsman believe that something is happening when it isn't.

...and thud back to earth, second game and the first loss of the seasion against a decentish side. We had the first chance to bowl on an early season wicket but although the pitch looked awful there was nothing for any kind of bowler, again one of the opening bowlers just did not fire but thankfully it was because he had only just comeback from uni and not because of the meltdown like one guy had last week. For us spinners it was a case of adapting to a dead wicket, on a small fast outfield against wellset batsmen. During the game I thought I bowled awful but in retrospect it wasn't that bad, 7-0-31-0 with the batsmen trying to hit me but not succeeding is OK considering I was getting no turn. The protege had similar frustrations with the pitch, 9-2-43-2 doesn't look great but he bowled 2 of his overs in the last 10 (cost 20 runs) due to the aforementioned quickie bowling rubbish.

Main thing I need after this game is practice, practice and more practice. During the game I felt zero rhythm and tried to force something to happen by putting too much effort into my follow through which unfortunately meant that my bodyweight kept going to first slip while I was aiming at the stumps, I need to get the feel back so I don't let that happen again. For the protege he'll need to take on board that somedays you won't be able to make the ball talk and you just need to make the batsman believe that something is happening when it isn't.

Sounds familiar. There were far too many games this last summer when I was tossed the ball after 15 overs with the oppo already closing in on 100-0. Thanks lads.

Its always the same lot as a spinner; if the openers make a mess of it, they expect you to dig them out of it; and if they get wickets by the hat full, you don't see the ball at all.

Sounds familiar. There were far too many games this last summer when I was tossed the ball after 15 overs with the oppo already closing in on 100-0. Thanks lads.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been in the outfield in the first 10 just tutting to myself as the opening seam bowlers bowled complete garbage - well aware that I'd have to come on against batters who are playing with no fear of getting out courtesy of a superb start.

That said, I do enjoy the challenge of trying to change the innings when I come on.

Going back to leftie600's game. That is the one thing the young lad will have to learn. Some days you just have to focus on making it tough for the batter rather than trying to focus purely on taking wickets. You can get carried away and try to take a wicket with every ball. You can spend years working on your action, but that psychological side of the game is every bit as important. You can work on your technique in the nets all day long. The psychological aspect can only really be worked on in matches. Even for a good attacking spinner, sometimes you have to focus on tying a batter down and frustrating him and, at times, bowling a good few deliveries to try and set a batter up.

This is why wrist spin is so enjoyable. There are days when the ball comes out perfectly with drift and dip and the pitch is helping the ball really turn and bounce. Then, there are days when the pitch is flat and slow and you just have to adjust your expectations. That's half the battle. Sum up the pitch/conditions and have a good idea of what you can achieve.

Finally our opening bowlers did something! Even though it was expected as we were playing against a weak team they bowled straight and with menace, by the time us spinners got the ball the run rate was under control and the batsman couldn't sit back and relax. The pitch played the same as last week (dead) but at least it was responsive to overspin.

The prodigy bowled well against their best batsman but without luck (having the batsman pad him off on middle constantly and not being given was irritating, "he got a good stride in" is not a decision it's with either hitting or not). One over went poorly but after I had ran out their best player he struck quickly taking 2 wickets with well worked sets in his last 2 overs to finish with 9-2-36-2. Still needs a bit of patience but he's getting his mojo back. First wicket was a top spinner that got big on the player and he punched it straight to point. Second was a quick leg break beating a push straight and taking off.

I followed directly after him (30th over) when they needed to increase the run rate with 6 wickets in hand, I set a defensive field fully expecting them to take me on and...nothing happened. I swear that their no. 5 was playing for us the way he killed their run chase, 45 off 90 deliveries when they needed to go at 7's? Admittedly I did screw around with him mixing the over and side spin but not once did he attempt to go over the top. Their run chase was so poor that I only got hit for one boundary and that was a 6 from a duffed catch by the outfielder. Leaving this aside, I felt good, the action was under control and most of the variations (which were used sparingly) came out and were hitting their marks 9-2-30-2. First wicket was a top spinner hit straight down deep mid-wicket's throat. Second was a big looped leg break that beat a wild slog and took off stump.

The cool thing was that the opposition had 2 legspinners as well! One was genuine, a leg break merchant with what is effectively an arm ball as his variation, his 10-4-32-2 showed the good control he had. The other was a part-timer or at least a learner but he gave the ball a rip and picked up the wicket of our captain after he tried to go over the top once too often.

Unfortunately it's been hosing down all week so probably no game this weekend but it has been warm and the wickets, I believe, are starting to take turn so here's hoping for next week!

Unfortunately it's been hosing down all week so probably no game this weekend but it has been warm and the wickets, I believe, are starting to take turn so here's hoping for next week!

Sounds good. I'm a bit jealous of you having and enjoying these matches. I'm here in England and having to go down to the nets to bowl on frost covered wickets.

I watched the video. Good one. Your doing good practice of spin. But what you want to say for batsmen. Batsmen should learn defense strokes first for playing spin attack. Defense strokes will let them learn aggressive shots too. That might be quality learning of playing spin attack. What do you say about bowling machines are these making worth for doing good practice in cricket?

Mate that's commitment - kind of thing I'd have done a few years back! Been taking it easy this year out of season, but had a few balls outside on Saturday with an energetic bound and have woken up Sunday with a sore knee! Need to start thinking about some exercises heading into January, to get the muscle toned up all over. I'm going to rest this knee for a few days, massage and stuff and once it feels okay start some easy pre-training exercises ready for nets.

Hello all
Here is a video of my bowling last season (please note: I have improved tremendously) in that season I picked up 8 wickets in 4 games at an average of 15.5. Economy rate: 3. If any of you have advice it would be greatly appreciated! I am not as fast through the crease as I was back then, and generate much more drift, dip and turn. My action also isn't as jerky any more. But still, I would like to know how you would rate my bowling and seeing as this is the only video I have of my bowling at the moment I thought I would just use it until I have a few that depict my current bowling*...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1396489803929210&l=5297505652838343283
I hope that link works! I'm no good with all these URL's and links!

Hello all
Here is a video of my bowling last season (please note: I have improved tremendously) in that season I picked up 8 wickets in 4 games at an average of 15.5. Economy rate: 3. If any of you have advice it would be greatly appreciated! I am not as fast through the crease as I was back then, and generate much more drift, dip and turn. My action also isn't as jerky any more. But still, I would like to know how you would rate my bowling and seeing as this is the only video I have of my bowling at the moment I thought I would just use it until I have a few that depict my current bowling*...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1396489803929210&l=5297505652838343283
I hope that link works! I'm no good with all these URL's and links!

Not bad Jacques! Run up is a little frantic and off-kilter, and you bowl slightly off the wrong foot, which is extremely common in legspinners and nothing to worry about, (Mushtaq did it right up to test level) but the results look good, looks like you get plenty of rip and you bowl at a decent pace for a spinner. That pitch looks nice and soft like it takes plenty of turn.

Not bad Jacques! Run up is a little frantic and off-kilter, and you bowl slightly off the wrong foot, which is extremely common in legspinners and nothing to worry about, (Mushtaq did it right up to test level) but the results look good, looks like you get plenty of rip and you bowl at a decent pace for a spinner. That pitch looks nice and soft like it takes plenty of turn.

Thanks SLA
Yes my run-up was pretty wild back then. I've slowed it down and don't bowl as much off the wrong foot any more:) That pace was actually a bit slow, about 50kph even though it doesn't look like it in the video, my pace these days is about 60kph. Oh yes that pitch is great! Lots of bounce in it as well, and plenty of nip off the seam for the pace bowlers. On a good day it's good to bowl spin on, but the turn isn't very consistent as you can see. A few of those deliveries were with newish balls, but even if you bowl with the same ball on that pitch it always seems to turn a mile one ball then nearly nothing at all the next.

You can't see the ball very clearly in the video but there is a little drift, quite a feat if you bowl from as wide on the crease as I was bowling:confused: I'll upload new bowling videos on the 17th, then you should see how much I've improved in one season, purely by use of deliberate and perfect practice! 100 balls a day keeps the sixes at bay is my motto:D...

Thanks SLA
Yes my run-up was pretty wild back then. I've slowed it down and don't bowl as much off the wrong foot any more:) That pace was actually a bit slow, about 50kph even though it doesn't look like it in the video, my pace these days is about 60kph. Oh yes that pitch is great! Lots of bounce in it as well, and plenty of nip off the seam for the pace bowlers. On a good day it's good to bowl spin on, but the turn isn't very consistent as you can see. A few of those deliveries were with newish balls, but even if you bowl with the same ball on that pitch it always seems to turn a mile one ball then nearly nothing at all the next.

You can't see the ball very clearly in the video but there is a little drift, quite a feat if you bowl from as wide on the crease as I was bowling:confused: I'll upload new bowling videos on the 17th, then you should see how much I've improved in one season, purely by use of deliberate and perfect practice! 100 balls a day keeps the sixes at bay is my motto:D...

ok, looking forward to seeing it.

How have your match results been this season? What level do you play and what kind of figures do you get?

Last season: 6 games , 8 wickets , bowling average: 15.5 , economy rate: 3.5.
This season: 4 games , 6 wickets , bowling average: 8 , economy rate: 3
I play at u/15 level and club level. I was pretty unlucky this season, as 3 balls clipped the stumps but the bails didn't come off:mad:... My best figures were 3/10 and what a game that was:cool: my first wicket came in my third over (after 2 maidens) a brilliant leg spinner, drifting from middle to outside off and finding the edge, our skipper taking a one handed diving catch at slip! The second wicket came against the new batsman, I bowled a backspinner (very similar to a slider but it's actually a leg break further around the loop with backspin) which straightened instead of sliding and I got his middle stump. The third wicket also came off a slider, it started outside leg and drifted to leg stump, then skidded on into the batsman's pads for an LBW. The worst game I had was when I had to bowl with a 70kph wind crosswind coming from the right! I literally had to start the ball a foot outside leg stump to land it on the pitch! I only took one wicket that game, the batsman left the ball (not expecting it to turn from the wide line to the stumps with all that drift and wind) but it ripped back just enough to clip the top of the off stump! My accuracy was spot on this season, with only 2 wides in 4 games. My aims for next season are: bowling average: 5 , economy rate: 2... Because by next season I'll (hopefully) have the flipper at my disposal:D

Last season: 6 games , 8 wickets , bowling average: 15.5 , economy rate: 3.5.
This season: 4 games , 6 wickets , bowling average: 8 , economy rate: 3
I play at u/15 level and club level. I was pretty unlucky this season, as 3 balls clipped the stumps but the bails didn't come off:mad:... My best figures were 3/10 and what a game that was:cool: my first wicket came in my third over (after 2 maidens) a brilliant leg spinner, drifting from middle to outside off and finding the edge, our skipper taking a one handed diving catch at slip! The second wicket came against the new batsman, I bowled a backspinner (very similar to a slider but it's actually a leg break further around the loop with backspin) which straightened instead of sliding and I got his middle stump. The third wicket also came off a slider, it started outside leg and drifted to leg stump, then skidded on into the batsman's pads for an LBW. The worst game I had was when I had to bowl with a 70kph wind crosswind coming from the right! I literally had to start the ball a foot outside leg stump to land it on the pitch! I only took one wicket that game, the batsman left the ball (not expecting it to turn from the wide line to the stumps with all that drift and wind) but it ripped back just enough to clip the top of the off stump! My accuracy was spot on this season, with only 2 wides in 4 games. My aims for next season are: bowling average: 5 , economy rate: 2... Because by next season I'll (hopefully) have the flipper at my disposal:D

My only comment is that that's not many games, I played 30-40 games a year when I was your age (and still do). How come you don't play every week?

My only comment is that that's not many games, I played 30-40 games a year when I was your age (and still do). How come you don't play every week?

Yes I know it isn't a lot, about 3 games rain out every season, and we practice more than we play matches. And I'm playing my first club game this weekend, I have only been playing for my school so far. I would love to play every day but don't get the chance. Luckily I can practice every day which is always a good thing:)...

Jacques a new video would be good, and as SLA says, the run up back then was pretty erratic! Nice place to bowl and live by the looks of it.

The reason why my run-up was almost medium pace like is because I was bowling a bit too slow, and I wanted to increase my pace so a faster run-up was necessary. Now I don't need it any more, I have a slower Warne-like run-up and just a bit more effort at the point of delivery increases the pace with about 10kph.

This is only my second year of bowling wrist spin, so back then I didn't know much about the correct run-up technique and whatnot. I just ran in and tried to rip the ball as much as I could and I needed that momentum to transfer more energy into my wrist and fingers.

Well that's me till after Xmas, horror game on the weekend as I got taken apart on a slow pitch on the weekend. After going for 40 off 6 overs I managed to injure my right index finger attempting to slide under a flat hit out to long off for a catch. Not much to say other than although I'll be missing some easy picking in the next 2 weeks I need the time away from the game, haven't really been enjoying it enough nor have I been feeling completely comfortable with my bowling. Hopefully some solo net sessions when the finger's healed will help me get my bowling and enthusiasm back to where it should be.

Protege bowled well again, 9-1-27-2 with one of those overs conceding 15! He seems to have the perfect pace through the air which is something I need to find, the batsman were afraid going down the wicket to his improved leg break and even more nervous staying in the crease as they can't pick his slider. Hopefully he dominates the next 2 weeks and gets that deserved cal up into the 1sts.

Looks pretty good to me also. Looks a nice balanced approach to the crease, good rotation, plenty of energy through the crease and nice whip of the wrist.

Obviously, the difficulty of leg spin is consistency and accuracy. If you can bowl like that consistently, then it looks fine to me. If not, I don't see anything in that action that would need a serious fix. Just a case of bowling over and over again until it it is consistent.

Sorry for the late reply Cleanprophet. Been a while since I've been online.

Quick update on my season so far. Getting plenty of turn and on a good day, get some wickets as well. The problem lies in consistency.

I bowl very good in the nets. My line, length, follow through, shoulder will be in a perfect position and I get lot of spin in the nets. However, once I put the whites on and go to the middle, I am not consistent. Follow through is good, but line and length is not. There are atleast 1 or 2 bad deliveries in an over. :(

Not sure what I should work on. Any thoughts?

Back