Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

I'm not sure I entirely agree with those points, not in my own experience anyway. Warne turned the ball big much of the time, but you never found him being cut off the back foot every ball. Without wanting to sound arrogant, when you turn the ball as big as I mostly do, you either have to pitch it outside leg stump to hit the top of off, or perservere with the middle/off stump line knowing that most balls will end up going past way outside off stump. Both have their merits and their downfalls....

My stock line at present, and the root of my success of late, is that I am pitching on the stumps most balls, occasionally wandering outside off. When the ball lands on the stumps, it forces batsmen to play every ball, because they can't assume every ball will turn. And certainly I use the straight ball to great effect, and it has taken a good few wickets this season thus far. When batsmen have to play every ball, the likelihood of taking wickets obviously is much greater. Length is critical because anything rank and short is easy boundaries for good batsmen, and anything slightly short can be cut or dabbed, and good batsmen will milk singles and 2's all day long. Overpitch and its half-volley heaven driving through the covers and straight. So you have to hit that magical length every ball ideally, but at club level there aren't that many batsman that will execute their shot every time, so you get away with it as long as you're consistent.

When the ball turns to outside off, the batsmen can never fully expect it, they have to be cautious of the ball that doesn't turn. A few batsmen this year have assumed that every ball is turning after they've seen 3 go big, and then the 4th ball is the toppie or a zooter and they get trapped plum in front of middle stump. Good batsmen play every ball on its merit though, and at 35-40mph good ones can just about play off reaction, even on a good length, 75% of the time. That still leaves 25% of your deliveries getting missed, edged, spooned, padded, etc, and it gives you opportunities. Only 1 batsman has played me this season and not given me a single wicket chance, and he was probably the highest standard bat I've faced in a game where I bowled awfully.

Batsmen can't play you off the back foot if you get the length right, its physically impossible, and staying back in their crease = wicket every time with the variations I possess. I easily spot when batsmen wan't to do this. If they are really stubborn then the deliberate full toss accounts for them most times, as their eyes light up and they hole out to deep square leg or mid wicket. So it really isn't a problem. Even when I land the ball outside off and it turns miles, batsmen can't resist chasing after it, and it gets you dots if the field is set right.

The other approach is the leg stump and outside line, turning the ball to hit the top of off stump. This would be ideal for me, and its the way Warney bowled. The problem I have is that club batsmen love the pull shot, and they will swing at anything outside leg stump, knowing they are safe from LBW, and that their pads will most likely block the ball if their bat misses it. So you just can't bowl there without gifting runs, even if they are just lucky runs. I started the season setting 4 or 5 men on the leg side for catches, some close, some deep, but you're relying on crappy club fielders who drop EVERYTHING, and I've been dropped almost as many times in the past year as I've taken wickets, so I just can't leave things in the hands of fielders. If I had the extra 5-10mph I need then I could bowl this line and batsmen would struggle a lot more, the only time I purposely try to pitch outside leg is if I'm landing the ball so far wide that batsmen will leave it, and trying to bowl them behind their legs. I rarely attempt this on purpose as its usually wides or byes, but if I'm feeling super confident I do on occasion. When I stray legside by accident its usually the source of most of the runs that I concede, especially if I drag it a bit short as well.

Bowling with overspin has its merits, it probably is the ideal on most days. I struggle to land it consistently (whereas yesterday it was the opposite, I couldn't land the backspun stuff where I wanted, but overspin was working, so I stuck at it), so I favour the big turning backspinners. Then the overspin becomes a deadly variation. I personally think that if you can control a batsmen with underspin then it is better to have your "least effective" delivery as the stock one, as it is still going to take wickets as it is. Then use regular variation with the side and overspun balls to just take things up a notch 2 or 3 balls an over. The other method would be to use the best ball every time (with a bit of overspin on it) and then the variations to mix it up, but I find this less effective. Big turn petrifies even the best club batsmen, so I like to turn the ball big every ball if I can, and then use added bounce, less turn, added drift, etc as variations just to kick into overdrive. So they are thinking "this guy is turning it, what do I do?", then all of a sudden its "this guy is turning it, drifting it, dipping it, and its bouncing more....wicket".

Also the whole flight thing is misunderstood in most peoples perception. At a given speed, ignoring the effects of dip or carry from over/underspin, in order to land the ball on the "perfect" length for that speed, you have to give it a definite amount of flight. You can't lob a ball up at 60mph, imagine Shaun Tait bowling a 100mph delivery with a bit of extra flight on it. The ball would end up in space! Likewise you can't bowl flat at 20mph, because it will bounce 8 yards in front of you and reach the bat on about the 4th bounce. At my stock speed of around 37mph I guess, the required amount of flight is above the batsmans eyeline, but barely above head height. Wicket keepers and straight fielders are forever telling me "flight it up there Jimmy, give it some air", but in order to do that, I have to take pace off the ball, and that doesn't help. Thats where over/underspin comes into play, but not as much as you might think. If I bowl with maximum backspin, bearing in mind I rev the ball pretty hard for a club leggie, I take about 12" off the flight, so the ball doesn't go above head height, but still lands on a length. If I bowl with maximum top spin, I flight it about 2-3 feet higher, and it definitely gets batsmen thinking full toss, you often see the bat come up ready to pull, and the back foot step away to free themselves up. But then it dips on them late, and they end up in a world of trouble, its the classic delivery. But it doesn't dip in some magical way that it will allow you to bowl with more flight at higher speed and still get the same effect. I think you probably get diminishing returns in fact, as if you bowl faster, you have to bowl flatter still. I bowl my best when I find my rhythm enough that I can bowl at my fastest, pushing into the low-40's, and thats when I get maximum turn, maximum drift, maximum dip/carry, etc (even though you'd think less turn than when its slower, but I spin the ball harder when I try to push through my action faster, so it compensates and then some). But the flight is barely above head height for any delivery then, and that isn't the key anyway. The key is that the batsman has to take his eyes up enough to lose sight of the ground, so that he can no longer easily judge the pitch of the ball. If he can keep his eyes down then he will have a better perception of where the ball will pitch. That is what you are aiming for. I achieve that with my backspun leg breaks well enough that I can use it as my stock ball, and use the overspun stuff as a surprise variation which regularly takes wickets.

Thats my theory anyway. It's working so I'm not changing a thing haha. It's taken me 3 or 4 years to get to a stage where I feel fully confident stepping up to the crease, not feeling sick inside wondering where the first over will pitch and how many runs it will go for. Even if the first over goes for 10-20 runs (which it sometimes does), I have full belief that the 2nd over will produce some magic, and then the 3rd, and 4th. I almost never lose faith now, even if I get carted. Some days will just be bad days at the office, its the plight of a leg spinner. The good days have been pretty regular the last 6 weeks though :D Lets hope it continues, my goal is to bowl some overs in the 1st XI by the end of the season, and ideally take some wickets. I am determined to cement myself in the team as an all-rounder. Thus far I've got the fielding nailed, bowling is well on its way now, and my batting is improving all the time.

For optimizing drift, dip and turn, the seam should point to ~10 degrees with respect to flight of the ball. Too much spin generally tends to miss the edge anyway. That's why the traditional "seam towards second slip" position while bowling spin.

Bowled in the nets with the rest of the team for the first time today. I've been practicing alone for a couple of hours a day for the last two or three weeks, and things have been coming along quite nicely. For the first two weeks, I would start out being absolutely rubbish, all of the balls either going way wide of off or down the legside, with one or two actually pitching on the stumps, although these were usually either too short or too full. There were also a vast number of drag-downs and full tosses that quite possibly would have gone over the wicketkeeper had there been one. The balls that did pitch properly were turning very well however, so I was reasonably happy with how things were developing.

Then suddenly in the third week everything has started working properly. At first it took at least an hour for me to start bowling anything near decent, but suddenly I could land balls just out of driving reach most of the time straight from the first delivery. I have no idea how it happened, because I'm not sure I'm as focused as I ought to be when bowling, but I could bowl the length I wanted about 80% of the time, and the rest weren't too far off. Line was still a problem, but at least they were pitching within reach of the batsman now, rather than going towards point or square leg as they had been. They were almost all turning nicely too, some of them hugely, with tons of rather nasty bounce, and the ones that didn't still turned enough to trouble a batsman.

So today I bowled in the nets to a batsman for the first time. First two balls were terrible, dragged down the off side. Then they started pitching on the stumps or just outside leg, but for some reason they weren't turning as much as they had been in practice. After a few more deliveries they were turning more (I remembered one of Dave's videos about curing googly syndrome by bowling with the hand in a sort of 'karate chop' motion, and that seemed to get the turn back), and I almost bowled a guy behind his legs! I was completely surprised, because I can't actually aim, I just bowl it in the general direction and hope the line is alright, but it was a great feeling to almost get someone so soon after starting. Then a couple of balls later it pitched just in front of him as he drove and turned past the edge by millimetres. I was pretty chuffed with two almost wickets, but then the same thing happened, he mishit it, and it probably would have been an easy catch at cover. The best part, though, was when the coach went in to bat, I pitched one just of of reach as he tried to block, it clipped the edge and would have been easily snaffled by the wicketkeeper. So, two 'wickets' on my first day! The rest of the balls I bowled were usually smashed around, but I wasn't too bothered by that.

The coach fixed my action a bit too. My arm has been quite low, very slingy, so he helped me correct that. He also got me to keep my head straight and to follow through properly, as I was following through more towards the right than the left. The only thing he said that I might disagree with is the grip. My grip is quite loose in my hand, far away from the palm, with the seam running straight down the upper part of my third finger, and the seam close to the tips of my index and middle fingers, probably just under the first knuckle. This is what I've been doing for a good six months now as I've been tossing the ball to myself, and it feels natural. My coach told me to move the seam farther back along my index and middle fingers, so that it's closer to being underneath the middle knuckle. He also said to move my index and middle fingers farther apart in a wider grip. Does this make sense to anyone? It feels a little uncomfortable and unnatural, and I remember Jenner and Warne saying that everyone has his own way of gripping the ball, and do whatever you feel comfortable with.

All in all, things are going swimmingly. Being the optimist I am, I'm quite sure it's all going to go drastically downhill from now on, especially if I'm messing with just about every aspect of my action all at once, but it's a nice start to keep me going for now.

Don't let him tweak your action too much. I've just simulated what he said to do regarding putting the seam under your middle knuckle... It feels very weird. Stick to what feels best!

Don't let him tweak your action too much. I've just simulated what he said to do regarding putting the seam under your middle knuckle... It feels very weird. Stick to what feels best!

Yeah I was thinking I'll probably keep my grip as it is. The one he showed me just feels too wrong. When I use my original one it comes out rotating around the seam, but using his feels like my fingers just get in the way and it doesn't come out of the hand as well. The other tips were good though, I had had problems with the height of my arm being inconsistent which was messing up my line. Now I try to tell my self to keep it high as I go in to bowl and it's already much better. I'll keep it as long as I keep the turn, but if I lose that I think I'll go back to what I was doing before and accept that it will take years to release the ball at the same point every time and get a little more consistency.

Yeah I was thinking I'll probably keep my grip as it is. The one he showed me just feels too wrong. When I use my original one it comes out rotating around the seam, but using his feels like my fingers just get in the way and it doesn't come out of the hand as well. The other tips were good though, I had had problems with the height of my arm being inconsistent which was messing up my line. Now I try to tell my self to keep it high as I go in to bowl and it's already much better. I'll keep it as long as I keep the turn, but if I lose that I think I'll go back to what I was doing before and accept that it will take years to release the ball at the same point every time and get a little more consistency.

I agree with Tumo. It sounds to me as though your coach thinks he knows more about wrist spinning than he does. As far as grip is concerned, if you can repeatedly spin the ball along the seam with good revs, how you hold it as you spin it is immaterial. On that basis, it's worth trying different grips, but, equally, if it doesn't feel comfortable and natural, don't use it. I'd also be wary of people saying you should get your arm higher. It might be worth getting a friend or, better still your coach, to video you so that you can see where your arm is as you deliver the ball. If you're bowling like a wrist-spin version of Lasith Malinga, then I'd agree that your arm would need to be higher, but getting too high can cause its own problems for a wrist spinner and might reduce the revs you can get on the ball.

My grip is quite loose in my hand, far away from the palm, with the seam running straight down the upper part of my third finger, and the seam close to the tips of my index and middle fingers, probably just under the first knuckle. This is what I've been doing for a good six months now as I've been tossing the ball to myself, and it feels natural. My coach told me to move the seam farther back along my index and middle fingers, so that it's closer to being underneath the middle knuckle. He also said to move my index and middle fingers farther apart in a wider grip. Does this make sense to anyone? It feels a little uncomfortable and unnatural, and I remember Jenner and Warne saying that everyone has his own way of gripping the ball, and do whatever you feel comfortable with.

I agree with Tumo. It sounds to me as though your coach thinks he knows more about wrist spinning than he does. As far as grip is concerned, if you can repeatedly spin the ball along the seam with good revs, how you hold it as you spin it is immaterial. On that basis, it's worth trying different grips, but, equally, if it doesn't feel comfortable and natural, don't use it. I'd also be wary of people saying you should get your arm higher. It might be worth getting a friend or, better still your coach, to video you so that you can see where your arm is as you deliver the ball. If you're bowling like a wrist-spin version of Lasith Malinga, then I'd agree that your arm would need to be higher, but getting too high can cause its own problems for a wrist spinner and might reduce the revs you can get on the ball.

I think Gangly's coach might have come from the Richie Benaud's school of thought in wrist spin bowling- If you look at the video Goldenarm posted on his blog - Richie benaud specifically tutors a leggie to grip it tighter and further into the palm. Either way, it is "Wrist spin" so your wrist is doing maximum work, so it might not matter as much.

Regarding the position of the seam, I might have posted here ages ago. I've experimented it a fair bit rotating the ball in and out so that the seam runs through first knuckle or the middle knuckle. It might be personal, but there might also be method in the coach's madness. I've been able to get the ball to come out with revs along the seam when I bowl with the seam closer to middle knuckle.

Here's my theory as to why that should happen - To get max revs, you'd want the ball to pass through as much surface of your palms as possible and that typically means, most leggies get the ball to leave the hand rotating past the little finger. IF the seam is closer to first knuckle of your index finger, the final phase in rotation (over little finger) gets the seam scrambled as the seam goes over the top of the little finger. On the other hand, if you turn the seam in a little further (doesn't have to be all the way to middle knuckle), you can get the ball to leave the hand rotating around the first knuckle of little finger rather than over the top of the little finger.

Again, this might depend on respective finger sizes and all that, but just a theory. (Btw, contrary to what warne says about space between ball and index, middle fingers, in my grip there is very little space and ball sits close to the fingers.)

It's easy - 2up 2 down, loose in the hand with the 3rd finger on the seam, get the ball in there, use that as the basic starting point and work from there, which I think GG has probably done. If you're getting the ball spinning and coming out of the hand with the seam rotating where you want it to, stick with that and don't worry about it till later. I'm assuming that you've probably lost your mind and you walk around the house now with a cricket ball flicking it like a demented wrist spinner? If you are, that's where you'll work out the subtle tweaks and changes in grip over the next 5 years or so. Maybe take what he's saying and bank it, and come back to it at a later date when you're really scrutinising what you're doing with the hand and wrist in the future, but in the meantime work with the other aspects.

My problem with the height of my arm mainly stems from me getting lazy. I'll bowl a few god balls with a high-ish arm, then get lazy and let my arm drop. If it's really bad then I have an impression that it is getting close to looking like Malinga. When I really concentrate then I can get it higher, no problem, it's just a question of doing it every ball and ingraining that feeling into me so that I don't have to think about it much in the future. Having said that, I agree with Chrisbell's appraisal of my coach wristspin knowledge. He bowled to give me an example of where he wanted my arm to be and it was almost completely vertical. He wasn't getting much turn with the ball (even though i think he's an offspinner) and I didn't get as much turn as I'm used to when I tried it, so I don't think I'll be going to the extreme of having my arm vertical. But at least getting it in the same position every time would be good, and I think that's easier with a higher arm than what I have now.

In terms of the grip, i think mine works well having the seam closer to the fingertips because I use my fingers to flick the ball and probably account for near half of the spin I put on the ball. I haven't had much of a chance to experiment yet, but just from what I tried yesterday I don't think I can get as much finger action on the ball if the seam is turned closer into my hand. The finger flick seems to work for me and I haven't had a problem with the little finger getting in the way and scrambling the seam. I've got long fingers, so this may just be something that only works for me. And yes, Dave, I have become a wrist-spinning freak and it's driving my family and girlfriend insane, but not it's my natural instinct whenever I pick up any cricket ball sized object, so they'll just have to put up with it.

If you coach is a finger spinner, it makes sense that he advocates a high arm action. Finger spinners need a high arm action that almost looks a bit like an inswinger as they can't bowl overspinners with a round arm.

Chaps, yesterday was simply one of the great days for me. One I'll look back on during the dark days and remember 'its all worth it'

here's the match report and scorecard from the friendly game I played yesterday for my school's Old Boys team.

http://oldvigornians.play-cricket.com/content/view.asp?id=10340111&cid=218

http://oldvigornians.play-cricket.com/scoreboard/scorecard.asp?id=11134087

I've been struggling with a shoulder injury for weeks and have bowled real crap, so this surprised me as much as anyone! The ball was drifting and turning miles and i think I only bowled two bad balls, the runs came from decent shots and outside edges.

Chaps, yesterday was simply one of the great days for me. One I'll look back on during the dark days and remember 'its all worth it'

here's the match report and scorecard from the friendly game I played yesterday for my school's Old Boys team.

I've been struggling with a shoulder injury for weeks and have bowled real crap, so this surprised me as much as anyone! The ball was drifting and turning miles and i think I only bowled two bad balls, the runs came from decent shots and outside edges.

Nice one Rob! That's something I've yet to do and you did it with the double whammy of picking up the hat-trick as well! Good work, you've now raised the bar for the rest of us to get a fivefor for less than 26. I can't see that any of us would ever get the hattrick in there as well, that's some bloody good bowling I reckon.

Nothing much to report myself. Missed out on an eventually rained off game on Saturday. I desperately wanted to play but my car had died on us and I was in the midst of getting it to a garage when the call came and had to turn it down. The upside of that is that my knee ligament is still sore from my stupid stunt whilst on holiday http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NRx7UFLHLI&feature=related and not playing means that it gets a little more of a rest.

Frustrated that I didn't play I needed to bowl and couldn't in the paddock as it's wet and we're rolling it and getting it ready for the next batch of nice weather, so instead I went over to the deserted tennis courts and bowled in there. Initially bowled crap (my kids are smashing my bowling) and realised that the key component that is missing is the pace, so I had a go at bowling with the bound. I bowled 18-20 balls and it was a massive improvement and I came away with the knee ligament still intact. So I'm looking to build up the strength in the thigh muscles and for the ligament to repair itself, so if I ease back into the bound, just bowling a few overs here and there, maybe by August I may be able to bowl again?

Congrats mate! I can only imagine how long it will take me to start getting five-fors, but it's good to know what's in store if you put the work in.

Guys,

A Breakthrough of sorts. in this sunday's match, I got hit 4-0-39-2 with my last over going for 15 runs and the one before that for 10 runs. Before that my analysis read 2.1-0-14-2 . Unfortunately, I came under pressure due to a hitter taking me on and bowled a bunch of crap going for 10 in my third over. They needed 25 runs to win with 4 wickets in hand and desperate for wickets, I bowled another one and again landed (or didn't land rather) and got taken for 15 runs. In my defense (As a captain, not a bowler), there were two chances in that over - one at deep square leg, good diving attempt at the boundary but the ball just trickled out. the second a chance at slip before I got hit for a 6.
Thoroughly disappointed, I went back to bowl today, with a box drawn in good length area. Tried to find out what was going wrong when I bowl ultra short balls and chest high full tosses in succession. Our vice-captain a good offie came to watch me bowl and he pointed out how, my head falls away and ahead of the body in the action and he suggested that I tuck my left elbow in, to keep the head from falling over.

In order to ensure that there is tucking in, I brought down my left arm across my body and let it stay there in the follow -through. And of the next 12 balls, I landed 10 at exactly good length area. (the 10-by-12 inch box that I drew). I will go back tomorrow and bowl at batsmen to make an extended trial, but if there are other leggies struggling for accuracy, I thought I'd share the tip.

I know that leaving the arm tucked in and lying across the body hinders the rotation a bit, and might feel awkward, but I noticed that when I don't do that, I get a little lazy with the elbow and it flails away even before I tuck it in. I might get a video recorded next week but I hope some of you can understand what I'm doing with the left arm to ensure elbow tuck.

EDIT: I realize by looking at last year's video that I had been doing this earlier too. Just that I wanted to increase the overall speed in my action and in that process let my left arm flail away.

Guys,

A Breakthrough of sorts. in this sunday's match, I got hit 4-0-39-2 with my last over going for 15 runs and the one before that for 10 runs. Before that my analysis read 2.1-0-14-2 . Unfortunately, I came under pressure due to a hitter taking me on and bowled a bunch of crap going for 10 in my third over. They needed 25 runs to win with 4 wickets in hand and desperate for wickets, I bowled another one and again landed (or didn't land rather) and got taken for 15 runs. In my defense (As a captain, not a bowler), there were two chances in that over - one at deep square leg, good diving attempt at the boundary but the ball just trickled out. the second a chance at slip before I got hit for a 6.
Thoroughly disappointed, I went back to bowl today, with a box drawn in good length area. Tried to find out what was going wrong when I bowl ultra short balls and chest high full tosses in succession. Our vice-captain a good offie came to watch me bowl and he pointed out how, my head falls away and ahead of the body in the action and he suggested that I tuck my left elbow in, to keep the head from falling over.

In order to ensure that there is tucking in, I brought down my left arm across my body and let it stay there in the follow -through. And of the next 12 balls, I landed 10 at exactly good length area. (the 10-by-12 inch box that I drew). I will go back tomorrow and bowl at batsmen to make an extended trial, but if there are other leggies struggling for accuracy, I thought I'd share the tip.

I know that leaving the arm tucked in and lying across the body hinders the rotation a bit, and might feel awkward, but I noticed that when I don't do that, I get a little lazy with the elbow and it flails away even before I tuck it in. I might get a video recorded next week but I hope some of you can understand what I'm doing with the left arm to ensure elbow tuck.

EDIT: I realize by looking at last year's video that I had been doing this earlier too. Just that I wanted to increase the overall speed in my action and in that process let my left arm flail away.

Shrek it'll be good to see a video of you illustrating the two approaches, not necessarily with the outcomes - just go through the bowling action showing the before and after approach, this is something that people mention, but you're the first that has been told directly and have said that there is a noticeable difference.

Guys,

I would also be interested to see a video comparison. My coach also stressed the importance of keeping the head straight, but he didn't mention any ways of going about it. I'll try the tucking in the elbow next time I practise, since my acuracy has been rather horrific of late, but it would be interesting to have a look at the difference between the before and after.

Greetings fellow legspinners! I've recently started playing cricket again after bowling legspin throughout my youth - i had a quick session with Ray Bright at maddocks sports and thought id pass on some of his advice. Although ray was an orthodox bowler in his day, he's had alot of involvement with Warney as a vic selector and spin mentor.
He began by watching my basic action, and immediately had me straightening the angle of my follow through to get the weight towards the batsmen and not have me ending up in front of the umpire after delivery. Another ideal he stressed was to always be side on and have a reasonable (but not too long) delivery stride. After a fair bit of chatter and advice he's given me a bunch of parameters to work in without overly trying to 'coach' me into a specific technique. If anyone wants i can elaborate more on a few of the finer details. Hopefully soon i'll post a video of me bowling for you all to pick apart, id be very appreciative! Cheers.

Back