Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Old Warnie must have been stung or spurred on by macgills magic of a few days ago. Because last night he gave an art lesson in how to bowl legspin.

Definately going to get to the scg next week to see warne and macgill. Hopefully each have a trundle.

Old Warnie must have been stung or spurred on by macgills magic of a few days ago. Because last night he gave an art lesson in how to bowl legspin.

Definately going to get to the scg next week to see warne and macgill. Hopefully each have a trundle.

That'll be good if you can get along to that!

It was brad hoggs turn to shine in the 40 years plus legspinner stakes last night. The way these old leggies have each come on in their comebacks and got their line and length spot on straight away and kept it for their whole spell is a lesson to all bowlers.

Hogg was all class. His wronguns were brilliant. Only bowled two bad balls and one of those got a wicket. So in my book he only bowled one bad ball.

Gday folks. My computer is still playing up but Ive been reading big cricket most days still. Some really good contributions from new members lately. Especially the Warne slo mo stuff and stills. Maccas lad is still going well too.
My first half of the season has been a bit hit and miss. 4/21 off 8 overs being the best and 2/2 off 3 overs against the top team. All my wickets except one have been to good balls which is satisfying and I bowled one bloke around his legs which was extremely satisfying and one thing I can tick off the leg spinners must do list.
Unfortunately I had a bit of a slump and bowled really poorly for two matches and really lost my confidence and couldnt even bowl well in the nets. Worst of all I could see I lost my teammates confidence in my bowling too. Fortunately Ive started to come good again and the xmas break came at a good time to get some solid training in to get in the groove.
Our team is sitting 3rd on the table which is pleasing although we have rarely played to our potential. My batting is improving leaps and bounds and Ive top scored 2 times this year and cemented the no 5 spot. I'm doing my best to be the dour, solid batsman that holds up an end.
At the moment my bowling is working well, really ripping out of the hand but Im finding my bowling is too flat most of the time and Im trying to rectify this but I think there is a bit more to it than just bowling slowly,something to do with the delaying the release as much as possble and pushing up with the back leg so the body is going up at release(bowling up as warnie says). Anyhow got a few weeks to work on it now.

At the moment my bowling is working well, really ripping out of the hand but Im finding my bowling is too flat most of the time and Im trying to rectify this but I think there is a bit more to it than just bowling slowly,something to do with the delaying the release as much as possble and pushing up with the back leg so the body is going up at release(bowling up as warnie says). Anyhow got a few weeks to work on it now.

Ben, if you haven't had the chance have a quick look at the Monty video on the spin coaching thread. Of all the things said and done in the six minutes, what struck me most was how much he got up on his front foot in the demos - he wasnt talking about them or even thinking about it - it was just naturally grooved into everything he did. I know churning out Dave's stand start drill can sound a bit of a broken record at times, but that will help you get your timing for getting up and rotating round that front foot tied into your release. How are your issues with batsmen going, are you now able to focus on what you do more and feel more in control?

Ben, if you haven't had the chance have a quick look at the Monty video on the spin coaching thread. Of all the things said and done in the six minutes, what struck me most was how much he got up on his front foot in the demos - he wasnt talking about them or even thinking about it - it was just naturally grooved into everything he did. I know churning out Dave's stand start drill can sound a bit of a broken record at times, but that will help you get your timing for getting up and rotating round that front foot tied into your release. How are your issues with batsmen going, are you now able to focus on what you do more and feel more in control?

Its not me, this comes from Jenner and the very rare ECB video that only coaches have access to and I've been able to see. The video covers a few things, but the thing Jenner empahsises is the stand start drill and its importance.

Its not me, this comes from Jenner and the very rare ECB video that only coaches have access to and I've been able to see. The video covers a few things, but the thing Jenner empahsises is the stand start drill and its importance.
Sorry Dave, but everyone on here knew what I meant, and yes it is something TJ put a lot of store by in terms of grooving, the trick is to understand how it then gets incorporated in your full action. Ben must still be having pc problems as I got a reply saying his last match went OK but its now nowhere to be seen

Sorry Dave, but everyone on here knew what I meant, and yes it is something TJ put a lot of store by in terms of grooving, the trick is to understand how it then gets incorporated in your full action. Ben must still be having pc problems as I got a reply saying his last match went OK but its now nowhere to be seen

I guessed most people would know Tony, but there's a few new people on the spin threads at the minute and I felt they needed to know that the theory of the stand-start has its credence from somewhere sound. Interestingly I'm just finishing Amol Rajans book 'The Twirlymen' and at the end of the book he emphasises how important Jenner was to Warne and how important Jenner was a coach. Your point at the end is interesting too as it's quite easy to groove a good stand start action and one where you can see an outcome with the ball, but its another trick converting all the good stuff in your stand start into a good action through the crease. Which is something I'm still working on. Incidentally Liz in the past has directed me to an animation clip from a cricket game that demonstrates a good bowling action, do you have any knowledge of this? I may have to ask her myself again.

Just wondering, is it necessary to have perfect seam when bowling leg spin? I hold the ball cross seam but it is still scrambled, when I align the seam with my middle finger it comes out right. Also, yesterday practicing I was very tired, so I bowled slower than normal, but I got my line and length right by visualising Stuart Macgill bowling, should I continue to do that? The weird thing is that whenever I try something that works, like visualising the ball, a few days later it doesn't work anymore, maybe that is because it is just my mind playing tricks on myself.

Just wondering, is it necessary to have perfect seam when bowling leg spin? I hold the ball cross seam but it is still scrambled, when I align the seam with my middle finger it comes out right.

Not necessary every single ball but the more often the better. The scrambled ones are not necessarily bad deliveries, far from it.

Do you do much spinning the ball hand to hand? That is the key and quickest way there. Underarm and up, checking the rotation and catching, over and over till it comes pretty much natural.

Not necessary every single ball but the more often the better. The scrambled ones are not necessarily bad deliveries, far from it.

Do you do much spinning the ball hand to hand? That is the key and quickest way there. Underarm and up, checking the rotation and catching, over and over till it comes pretty much natural.

I don't really know how I really spin the ball, I should video myself or something soon. I do know that the ball has perfect seam when I grip it seam aligned with my middle finger though, because I started spinning the ball fingers together, like a pace bowler on the seam, with the wrist cocked to the right and a front on action. I kind of know that it is something like a pace bowler putting backspin on the ball, just turned on an angle, it comes out the same way.

I am a round arm bowler.Does it have any distinct advantage of bowling round arm?? I have heard from my friends that round arm
bowlers get more side spin and more drift.The high arm bowler get more top spin and more dip.

so I just wanted to know which one you prefer ?

I am a round arm bowler.Does it have any distinct advantage of bowling round arm?? I have heard from my friends that round arm
bowlers get more side spin and more drift.The high arm bowler get more top spin and more dip.

so I just wanted to know which one you prefer ?

I prefer to see a more roundarm action. For topspinner and wrongun you might go a bit higher.

When warne is bowling i see a distinct change in warnes arm position.When he is bowling from over the wicket its a bit round arm like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz-PTxhxNSU and while bowling from around the wicket warne goes a lot round arm like so : is that he needs a lot of side spin he goes too round arm ?

Yeah he goes a little extra roundarm to the lefties from around the wicket sometimes, especially into some wide rough outside off.
Its going to be a legbreak , maybe a big one, but he used to bowl one with all sidespin and no topspin with extra roundarm that didn't bounce like his stock ball looking for lbw or bowled to lefthanders. One ploy, of many.

And see the pace i think it is slower than warnes conventional leg break
when the bowl is delivered slower you get a lot of spin
and @Macca what degree does warne leave the delivery any guess ??

Hi Tony, yes I am still having problems with my pc unfortunately. I can read all the posts but unless I write a short one an error maessage comes up. I have been working really hard on getting my front leg braced up and keeping my momentum going over it. I had a knee reconstruction on my left knee a couple of years ago, and whilst its fine physically its more a mental thing to really get it working properly

Ive trired to write more to the last post but it keeps playing up.AAAAgghh. Keep the posts coming though Tony, always good to get yoor advice.

It's just dawned on me (I think) in the last couple of days what they mean when they talk about being open chested. Is this to do with the rotation of the shoulders being more up and over rather than round each other? I noticed on one of the videos one of the blokes had posted that he would looking down the line of the balls flight through the inside of his arm rather than over his shoulder down the outside of his arm as such and his technique gave the impression that he was bowling more front on than side on and therefore 'Open Chested'. Have I got this right?

Back