Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

There are no admins plus the ones that do make a rare appearance have no clue what they're doing. Spam will pop up time and time again as this board is/has died.

Hey guys, wondering if i can get a bit of help/feedback, I'm trying to help a mate out with his Leg Spin with at the moment only moderate success.

Any feed back on his action especially wrist position would be muchly appreciated, cheers.

Hey guys, wondering if i can get a bit of help/feedback, I'm trying to help a mate out with his Leg Spin with at the moment only moderate success.

Any feed back on his action especially wrist position would be muchly appreciated, cheers.

There' some work to do here! With regards the wrist it looks okay, it looks as though he goes into the bowling action with the wrist pre-cocked, as long ast there's some flexibility there he should be okay, look at the vid I've linked below featuring Stuart Macgill explaining some of the basics, he advocates a loose wrist, so that in the action the wrist flicks to put the spin on the ball. If you hold the wrist rigid, you're more than likely going to be rolling the ball off the fingers rather than flicking, plus tension through the body at any stage is detrimental to the outcomes (See Warne). The wrist and fingers are only a small part of the process, I would look at some of the more fundamental aspects - the approach to the crease and the bound, getting into position side-on as your mate is very front on. Have a look at the Macgill vid 2.03 mins in and he explains the 'Getting side on' aspect, this on its own will increase the amount of spin your mate puts on the ball and gives you a couple of things to work on. But you may get a response from some of the others who are more knowledgable than me.

2.03 minutes in

Thanks for the quick reply, to be honest I was so focused on his wrist position at release that I hadn't realized he'd gotten front on again.

Do you think he's a bit better in the last 2 balls on the video I posted?

The cocked wrist is something that annoys me as I don't think he'll ever consistently bowl with any side spin doing it but unfortunately it comes natural to him.

Next time I work with him I'll get him more side on, What concerns me with the wrist is that the back of the hand is pointing at the slips rather than say cover, to be the bowl is being released too much out the back of the hand & when he gets it closer to correct he;s pulling down on the ball rather than spinning it.

Anyway cheers for your help & link tot he video!! :)

Thanks for the quick reply, to be honest I was so focused on his wrist position at release that I hadn't realized he'd gotten front on again.

Do you think he's a bit better in the last 2 balls on the video I posted?

The cocked wrist is something that annoys me as I don't think he'll ever consistently bowl with any side spin doing it but unfortunately it comes natural to him.

Next time I work with him I'll get him more side on, What concerns me with the wrist is that the back of the hand is pointing at the slips rather than say cover, to be the bowl is being released too much out the back of the hand & when he gets it closer to correct he;s pulling down on the ball rather than spinning it.

Anyway cheers for your help & link tot he video!! :)

Keep checking in as there's people on here that do this analysis a lot better than I do. What do you reckon with the guidance and coaching... one or two things at a time? Otherwise it gets complex? I'm interested in how this bloke got to the point where he's decided that he wants to be a wrist/leg - spinner, did he bowl seam up before, or has he always dabbled?

Pretty ugly action, but it's pretty sound. Pretty straight back leg -- could be bent a bit more. The back leg also starts different than most people -- but that's ok.

He could bring his torso over and past the back leg as he begins. i.e. if you draw a straight line vertically on the back knee, you can bring that right shoulder to the right of the line.

Biggest criticism would be to keep that back leg down longer and push up from it stronger.

I like how he finishes the action. He sort of falls over a bit but that's ok.

I definitely think he must have come from fast bowling. Am I right?

Keep checking in as there's people on here that do this analysis a lot better than I do. What do you reckon with the guidance and coaching... one or two things at a time? Otherwise it gets complex? I'm interested in how this bloke got to the point where he's decided that he wants to be a wrist/leg - spinner, did he bowl seam up before, or has he always dabbled?

Just dabbled really, his mid-twenties & started playing cricket a couple years ago, he loves it that's why I'm willing to put time in with him.

Cheers for the help guys I'll implement some of this next time we net & get back to you.

Pretty ugly action, but it's pretty sound. Pretty straight back leg -- could be bent a bit more. The back leg also starts different than most people -- but that's ok.

He could bring his torso over and past the back leg as he begins. i.e. if you draw a straight line vertically on the back knee, you can bring that right shoulder to the right of the line.

Biggest criticism would be to keep that back leg down longer and push up from it stronger.

I like how he finishes the action. He sort of falls over a bit but that's ok.

I definitely think he must have come from fast bowling. Am I right?

Dr.tran, could you draw the line on a still from the action. It is slightly confusing as to which plane you are referring to (perpendicular to the pitch, parallel to crease or perpendicular to pitch and crease).

I also thought that leading arm was not as strong as can be, so he can up the pace at which he bowls by making it stronger.

@Dan -

I am not very sure if you should push him to be more side-on. With the wrist cocked to the extent he has, he already has tough time getting side spin. If you make him go more side-on, he is sure to get square-on and then you will only see topspinners and googlies from his action.

Dr.tran, could you draw the line on a still from the action. It is slightly confusing as to which plane you are referring to (perpendicular to the pitch, parallel to crease or perpendicular to pitch and crease).

I also thought that leading arm was not as strong as can be, so he can up the pace at which he bowls by making it stronger.

@Dan -

I am not very sure if you should push him to be more side-on. With the wrist cocked to the extent he has, he already has tough time getting side spin. If you make him go more side-on, he is sure to get square-on and then you will only see topspinners and googlies from his action.

Do you reckon if I can get his left shoulder higher & try to get him to relax his wrist that it'll become easier to put the side spin on the ball?

Agree about the leading arm

@Dan -

That would be the vertical line perpendicular to the ground. If you drew a line from below the knee to the knee straight to the sky -- you want your shoulders and torso up towards that line.

I've been watching the Big Bash and I've noticed a trend of the bulk of the young Aussie legspinners that get a go are largely chest on and don't use their front arm as any sort of a brace, is there any reason for this? It seems strange that the best recent Aussie that gets into a position for a big ripping legbreak is Warner!

Hey guys, totally new to these forums, but have been on Bigfooty for about 6 years.
Wouldn't allow me to post a new thread, but I'd love some help with technique if possible, I'll put some better videos up late.
I'm extremely new to cricket, I've never played a game before, but I have always grown up watching it and playing both Rugby League and Union. I wish to quit rugby next summer and play club cricket instead.
I have the same wrist spin technique as Zimbabwean, Paul Strang, in the sense that I hold the ball like below and instead of delivering with my wrist tilting right to left it goes from front to back:
bpbleggie.png

Here's some sample videos from my phone, I apologise about the quality, I'll make a better effort next time. It's just something I decided to do whilst practicing.
The camera is halfway up the stumps.

Hey guys, totally new to these forums, but have been on Bigfooty for about 6 years.
Wouldn't allow me to post a new thread, but I'd love some help with technique if possible, I'll put some better videos up late.
I'm extremely new to cricket, I've never played a game before, but I have always grown up watching it and playing both Rugby League and Union. I wish to quit rugby next summer and play club cricket instead.
I have the same wrist spin technique as Zimbabwean, Paul Strang, in the sense that I hold the ball like below and instead of delivering with my wrist tilting right to left it goes from front to back

The first thing I'll say is don't get hung up on your grip, ask yourself the following questions:

1. Is the grip comfortable?
2. Can I bowl the 3 fundamental legspinning deliveries using this grip? (legbreak, topspinner and googly)
3. Can I bowl the stock delivery consistently using the grip?

If the answer is yes to all 3 then you're well on your way.

I have an unorthodox grip as well so I know how hard it can be to know what is right and what is wrong with what you do, especially when you're just getting started.

With regards to your action I'd suggest you get some footage of your bowling without you being afraid of smashing your camera! There's some very good contributors here that can give some good feedback on the fundamentals and help you on your way.

1. Is the grip comfortable?
2. Can I bowl the 3 fundamental legspinning deliveries using this grip? (legbreak, topspinner and googly)
3. Can I bowl the stock delivery consistently using the grip?

Thanks for your swift reply squire!
I can say "yes" to both questions 1 and 3, the issue being that due to the way my wrist is cocked when delivering the ball, I'm having trouble getting it any further around to bowl a wrong'un. The grip is comfortable, natural and I don't feel at any stage as through I'm going to drag the ball down or get too much flight. I can bowl the ball accurately to a spot, but I'm not exactly sure which spot on the pitch I am supposed to be hitting, I'm sure with practice and knowledge as to where to hit, that I'd be able to do it.
To be honest, I've only really worked on my stock leggie thus far, and the top spinner is really natural I just tilt my wrist around a bit more, it gets extra bounce and hits the deck quicker once in the air. I'll see if I can borrow a friend's camera at some stage.

I'm addicted to honing this art at the moment, I have only started very recently, but I am really enjoying it.
I love it when you see a friend dance down the pitch at you, only to miss it completely.

Thanks for your help Leftie :)

I'm addicted to honing this art at the moment, I have only started very recently, but I am really enjoying it.
I love it when you see a friend dance down the pitch at you, only to miss it completely.

Thanks for your help Leftie :)

Not a problem, to clarify 2 I mean:

Is it possible for you to bowl all 3 using your grip? The reason that I ask this is that it normally is an indicator that your grip and action isn't inhibited anyway. If you perfect the leg break and one of the topspinner or the googly you'll be fine, Warne's googly was rubbish and he barely used it but I've been told he managed to get by.

Paul Strang's an absolute legend in my books, he's kind of forgotten about when people talk of the 90's legspinners but he was a big part of the reason Zimbabwe was so dangerous to play. When I started bowling legspin all I had was a legbreak and a googly, I didn't have a coach and I couldn't bowl like Mushtaq so Strang was the bowler I tried to model myself on at that time.

Paul Strang's an absolute legend in my books, he's kind of forgotten about when people talk of the 90's legspinners but he was a big part of the reason Zimbabwe was so dangerous to play. When I started bowling legspin all I had was a legbreak and a googly, I didn't have a coach and I couldn't bowl like Mushtaq so Strang was the bowler I tried to model myself on at that time.

Zimbabwe were like a second team to me, just because I loved their team dynamic and uniform back in the 90's. I only recently found out that I had a similar bowling style to Strang and was pretty proud of it when I heard so.

It's really difficult for me to pull out a googly, but I will find a way, I'll work on some mysterious ball that is bowl-able from our grip, a slider is really easy to do.

Do you think I should perhaps get some coaching over the winter so I can play the following season? I'm a bit worried they'll try to change my grip, I'm really comfortable with it, I just need to know where to land it to be effective.

Thanks for your help Leftie, you're a legend dude.
Even if you are a Kiwi ;)
<3 from Tasmania, the West Island of NZ.

Zimbabwe were like a second team to me, just because I loved their team dynamic and uniform back in the 90's. I only recently found out that I had a similar bowling style to Strang and was pretty proud of it when I heard so.

It's really difficult for me to pull out a googly, but I will find a way, I'll work on some mysterious ball that is bowl-able from our grip, a slider is really easy to do.

Do you think I should perhaps get some coaching over the winter so I can play the following season? I'm a bit worried they'll try to change my grip, I'm really comfortable with it, I just need to know where to land it to be effective.

Thanks for your help Leftie, you're a legend dude.
Even if you are a Kiwi ;)
<3 from Tasmania, the West Island of NZ.

You need to have a look at Philpotts book 'The Art of Wrist Spin Bowling', just so that if you go down the route of getting a coach and he does try and do that to you, you've got the back up of Philpotts words on the matter, which in essence are that it doesn't matter if your grip or action is unorthodox, if they work and its not causing you physical issues/injuries then leave it be, if there's any changes to be made, they'll come about steered by you, if you run into problems. For the moment, work with what you've got and if there's any deficiencies you'll come to realise, it's all about reflecting on what you do and how you go when you're in a match. You want to get into a team as soon as you can, but try and work you're way up from a lower XI and try and get into a team where they are spin friendly/supportive, it makes a massive difference if your captain supports and likes spin, my first captain was an offie, a bloke called Neil Samwell, he was a legend, brilliant bloke and gave us spinners all a good go - it makes a big difference.

Back