Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

How on earth do you think about flicking your wrist, have your hand facing yourself and dragging your finger over the seam all at the same time, while trying to do the rest of the bowling fundamentals? To do it meaningfully and consistently I mean, and not just a thing where you get it right by random luck every so often.
Sometimes I get the wrist flick right and forget about the finger rotation, other times the reverse happens. Doing everything in one quick fluent sequence is hard for my brain to do haha. I hope this is just brain training, and it gets easier

Your right for must of us it's damn hard. There's no doubt people out there that do it with relative ease, a bloke I train with who is a first XI players bowls the OBS 90% of the time and by my reckoning and he relies on natural variation e.g. sometimes it works perfectly and other times it comes out wrong, when it comes out wrong it turns like a leg break or a wrong un. I can't do it at all with a full run up and some effort, if I try it dead slow it comes out sometimes. I think this is the reason all of the experts say to focus on your leg break till you've got it fully sussed. I think for most of us it doesn't get easier, it's a non-stop learning process!

I think one of the worst things you can do is to think too much about technical aspects during practice. Did you bowl at all before trying leg spin? I used to be a seamer. At 37 my pace was deserting me, but my action was pretty sound and natural so I found the adjustment to leg spin relatively painless. But the way I learned to bowl the leg break was to take it seriously and start from the ground up. So first I visited Dave's blog and then bought a copy of Philpott's book. Do you have this book? It is the spin bible according to those in the know on here and I would agree with them. It makes learning logical and breaks it down into stages. I would recommend getting a copy, reading it in full about 3 times and then applying stages 1-4 of the eight stages of spin to your own learning regime. There are all sorts of recommendations to people like you struggling for consistency with a leg break. Perhaps the best one is to try bowling underarm, round arm and then overarm. Philpott advises that the brain finds it hard to cope at first bowling overarm, but reverting to round arm or underarm can fix something fundamental and then bowling the same delivery overarm comes more naturally. I found this strategy particularly useful when learning the wrong un.

Another thing to try would be to video your action and post it here? I know it's not appealing to bare all in front of everyone, but someone here might pick up on something basic which you have missed yourself.

Maybe another thing to try is to build up your run up gradually? You say you can get it to turn from the standing start, which is great. So then add 1 step, 2 steps, 3 etc. until you can release it relatively consistently from a full run up?

Stick with it, mate. If you can bowl a leg break once you can bowl it 100 times, 1,000 times, it's just practice, practice and more practice.

All the stuff here that Martin says, I'd endorse, but the thing I'd pick up on and reiterate again and again is the last bit... It's practice, practice and more practice!

All the stuff here that Martin says, I'd endorse, but the thing I'd pick up on and reiterate again and again is the last bit... It's practice, practice and more practice!

Cheers Dave. Hope your match goes well... rule the galaxy, father and son.

And Wayne what you say in your last sentence is true - it IS just brain training. Repetition to the point of it becoming second nature. Sure, it will probably help if there is some natural disposition and discernible talent, but it's like Terry Jenner says in his training video; it's not magic. It will get easier and if your learning goes anything like mine (and I'm only 9 months into this) you will have Eureka moments which lead to a lasting improvement and an intense sense of satisfaction/achievement.

Thanks fellas. Like you Darth I was a medium pace bowler apart from dabbling in a few leggies here and there, until now. I've watched countless videos and listened to a lot of views before I started training in the art, in order to get a clear direction forward and limit the bad habits from the start.
I can see why a lot of young leggies give it away and turn to pace after a short time. Wrist spin takes a lot of work for gradual return.
Once the physics are worked out wrist spin bowling in theory is fairly simple in my opinion. But practising all the elements together and getting a consistent result is a feat. Except for the naturally gifted perhaps.
I've ordered the Philpott book, so very interested in that read. And I agree with both your mantras - PRACTISE AND PRACTISE. I will post a video of me bowling soon, so hopefully I can get some feedback on that.

Cheers Dave. Hope your match goes well... rule the galaxy, father and son.

And Wayne what you say in your last sentence is true - it IS just brain training. Repetition to the point of it becoming second nature. Sure, it will probably help if there is some natural disposition and discernible talent, but it's like Terry Jenner says in his training video; it's not magic. It will get easier and if your learning goes anything like mine (and I'm only 9 months into this) you will have Eureka moments which lead to a lasting improvement and an intense sense of satisfaction/achievement.

Fantastic day for me and my Son Ben. His first ever adult match and our first game together.

Ben Thompson (B&PCC) 6-0-13-1 and in addition took two catches in the field at Mid-off one of which was off my bowling.
Dave Thompson (B&PCC) 1:2-0-8-2 and in addition took a catch off of Sean Healey's bowling at Square leg. For the full account and pictures have a look at my blog...
http://www.mpafirsteleven.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/basildon-pitsea-4th-xi-v-orsett-5th-xi.html

I've got to say it was good to start out bowling at Tail-enders and getting a result, although I did bowl to a plan which isn't something that I've done before, especially not in the last few years when my bowling had been a bit ropey. I'm quite optimistic about this season, with my wrong-un back in action and the fact that I feel I'm going into the season bowling in a way that I'm happy with and no major changes being worked on at the same time. Anyone else play this weekend - how did you do?

Basildon & Pitsea 212 including 123* not out for Yash Patel.
Orsett 5th XI - 87 all out

Hello everyone, I've been enjoying reading through all 61 pages of this thread, so I thought I'd sign up and join in.

I had my first game of the season today, in about the worst conditions possible for a leg-spinner. Drizzly, damp mis-shapen ball (looked like a flying saucer by the time I got a go with it), small total to defend, pitch that would have been good for spin when dry, but too damp to turn much once I got on to bowl, coming on when the opposition needed less than 30 (we made only 79). I dragged quite a few short and down the leg-side, after starting fairly well, and didn't really get any to spin much. I picked up one wicket from a very good catch to the fielder at long off coming forward. Ended up with figures of 1.3-0-14-1, not too bad in the circumstances (just under my usual ten an over) Still, I played my longest ever innings at no.11, a nine ball nought not out, with only four or five plays and misses against a fellow leggie.

Out of curiosity, do any of the leggies on here use an off break as a variation? I have quite small hands, so I bowl a clicked fingers off-break, using my thumb and index/middle fingers, almost like the flipper technique turned round 90 degrees. It works quite well at the level I play at, because I can disguise it a little. Some tailenders sometimes peg me as an off-spinner with a doosra if I overbowl it!

Hello everyone, I've been enjoying reading through all 61 pages of this thread, so I thought I'd sign up and join in.

I had my first game of the season today, in about the worst conditions possible for a leg-spinner. Drizzly, damp mis-shapen ball (looked like a flying saucer by the time I got a go with it), small total to defend, pitch that would have been good for spin when dry, but too damp to turn much once I got on to bowl, coming on when the opposition needed less than 30 (we made only 79). I dragged quite a few short and down the leg-side, after starting fairly well, and didn't really get any to spin much. I picked up one wicket from a very good catch to the fielder at long off coming forward. Ended up with figures of 1.3-0-14-1, not too bad in the circumstances (just under my usual ten an over) Still, I played my longest ever innings at no.11, a nine ball nought not out, with only four or five plays and misses against a fellow leggie.

Out of curiosity, do any of the leggies on here use an off break as a variation? I have quite small hands, so I bowl a clicked fingers off-break, using my thumb and index/middle fingers, almost like the flipper technique turned round 90 degrees. It works quite well at the level I play at, because I can disguise it a little. Some tailenders sometimes peg me as an off-spinner with a doosra if I overbowl it!

Good to start with an improvement over your usual over average. Personally it's not a ball I bowl at the moment or recently, I'm bowling the wrong-un as my off break variation this season, had a good start with it today. Good to have you on here, look forward to seeing more of you and hope you become a regular contributor.

nice to see you playing again Dave, a nice solid start to the season. Welcome 10anOver, its always horrible in these cold wet conditions for us Leggies.

Had a very mixed season so far myself; been destroyed by slogging lefties twice in the first three matches, then played last weekend and took 4-43 and 5-2 after a solid week of practice, which unfortunately ended up injuring my shoulder from the workload. Mixed blessing with the weekend had both games rained off though its let me rest my shoulder, meant to have a t20 tomorrow night which looks like the weather will get the better of as well. Overall pretty happy with my season so far as i'm playing at a better standard(1st/2nd team cricket) this season due to moving clubs.

Anyone else play this weekend - how did you do?

Glad to hear your game went well and very nice figures for both of you.

I was due to play last Thursday t20 and yesterday 40 over but both were rained off. I was mightily relieved that yesterday's was off as I'd played an eleven-a-side game of football on Saturday - and as it happened we only had 10 men - so I was stiff and in no fit state to be in the field for 40 overs.

Due to play t20 this Thursday and probably another game on Sunday.

Welcome to the forum, 10AnOver.

nice to see you playing again Dave, a nice solid start to the season. Welcome 10anOver, its always horrible in these cold wet conditions for us Leggies.

Had a very mixed season so far myself; been destroyed by slogging lefties twice in the first three matches, then played last weekend and took 4-43 and 5-2 after a solid week of practice, which unfortunately ended up injuring my shoulder from the workload. Mixed blessing with the weekend had both games rained off though its let me rest my shoulder, meant to have a t20 tomorrow night which looks like the weather will get the better of as well. Overall pretty happy with my season so far as i'm playing at a better standard(1st/2nd team cricket) this season due to moving clubs.

Cheers Gundalf! Fingers crossed I can maintain a half decent strike rate, a run a ball isn't too bad if I can get the wickets at a regular rate as well! Whoa! What's that four wickets for 43 runs followed up with a fivefer for 2 runs? Surely that's a typo?

nah it wasn't a typo basically had the perfect pitch you could ask for as a leggie for the 5 for 2 (5 overs-3 maidens-2 runs-5 wickets) , hard , dry and the equivalent of a fourth day pitch in wear. The season has been a mixed bag though as i've also gone for 110 runs in 10 overs of bowling at lefties, one of whom ended up getting 141 off about 70 balls.

nah it wasn't a typo basically had the perfect pitch you could ask for as a leggie for the 5 for 2 (5 overs-3 maidens-2 runs-5 wickets) , hard , dry and the equivalent of a fourth day pitch in wear. The season has been a mixed bag though as i've also gone for 110 runs in 10 overs of bowling at lefties, one of whom ended up getting 141 off about 70 balls.
Strewth, that is good bowling, what were they wickets, catches or stumpings?

nah the lad who kept that game only tends to keep on friendlies, slip on the other hand i've played with for years and probably knows my bowling as well as anyone, the first team saturday keeper is great though really fast hands.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

That's some bowling figures that you picked up gundalf7, I bet you wish you could roll up that pitch and carry it around with you! Also shows the importance of good close fielders, and having catching fielders in the first place. When I was bowling on Sunday the field all got brought in when they needed two to win (I even got a slip!), and some wag commented that it'd be the first and last time I'd see a field like that. Needless to say, I bowled a half-tracker and it was spanked for four to lose the game.

I know it's been a while since I've been on here!

Good to hear you guys enjoying a successful start to the season. It's off season here down under and I miss cricket already :(

But it gives me a chance to see how I'm progressing. I recorded myself to see if I need any technical improvements. I would love to hear your feedback.

Cheers and keep up the good work!

PS. Welcome 10AnOver, you won't be disappointed with the endless resources and spinning geniuses here

Lots to like there, lsb. Your approach is faster than mine and I really like how you twist up high on the front foot, something I think I struggle with. Follow through looks good, too. The only thing I picked up on was the right foot when you land. It's pointing slightly towards square leg-ish. Consequently your body does not look fully side on. This could be related to your rapid approach.

A view from a novice...

Martin

Thanks for the welcome guys.

That's some bowling figures that you picked up gundalf7, I bet you wish you could roll up that pitch and carry it around with you! Also shows the importance of good close fielders, and having catching fielders in the first place. When I was bowling on Sunday the field all got brought in when they needed two to win (I even got a slip!), and some wag commented that it'd be the first and last time I'd see a field like that. Needless to say, I bowled a half-tracker and it was spanked for four to lose the game.

Oh gutted! Ah well, pick yourself up and have another go next week, don't let it get to you, your Gundalf day is only round the corner somewhere! I like your name 10anover and was thinking about what we all consider a fair average. My first game I was going for a run-a- ball, which if I wasn't getting wickets I'd not be happy with. 5 an over seems reasonable, when I'm playing and I see we're batting scoring 5 or conceding 5 an over I always think, yeah that's par for club cricket and it'll mean one way or another it's a total to chase or defend that is competitive. But if I'm getting wickets, then being more expensive is a pay-off that I'm okay with usually. What kind of a strike rate do you reckon is acceptable for a club spinner in a 50 over game, or is that simplifying it too much?

Back