Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Frustrating weekend, I battled off the opening quicks only to be run out for 27 by the skipper just as I was looking to cash in against the change bowlers, and then watch the rest of the side collapse and undo all my hard work. Then bowled 3 overs 0-12, but we were only defending 100 so we didn't last long. Took a nice catch at silly gully which about the highlight of my day.

No match for me this weekend but I've put a solid 5 hours in at the net over yesterday and today. I tweaked my action a bit so that the arm comes over at a lower angle for the leg break, this gives better seam angle and turn. The line is slightly harder to control but not too much. I think soon I will be able to develop a big leg break and small leg break. This started happening today.

I was also using my elbow more in the delivery which gave better flight and I believe slightly more turn and more bounce. Helped with everything really, a much better shape on the stock delivery.

And finally I started bowling a flipper after practising the click release drill for a while now. The seam came out like this // and they were breaking to the leg side but keeping low and were fast/skiddy. They were all over the place at first but then I got a few to pitch in line. I could not get the seam out straight but it was still interesting.

Good to hear mate, how much do you worry about technique through your whole bowling session?

Good to hear mate, how much do you worry about technique through your whole bowling session?

I try not to concentrate on technical aspects while I'm practicing. I like to consider these things at home when I'm practising flicking the ball from hand to hand. That said, if something needs fixing or looking at I'll make the change and I'll always be looking to improve. But I find if I think too much about it during practice my bowling can go to pieces, e.g. if I start thinking about the grip or what I do with my thumb. I tend to have my thumb resting on the ball prior to bowling the leg break and during the whole action, only taking the thumb off just before the release - but it has to happen naturally, without me dwelling on it, or things start to go wrong. Does any of that sound familiar?

I do think my arm was becoming too vertical for the leg break. I believe that's just my natural action coming into play, so I really have to concentrate and remind myself to bowl slightly more round arm. If I don't the arm reverts to its more natural vertical position.

I can relate to that, I was thinking about my thumb position in my first match of last season. What a shocker that was!

It's a tough one, I used to go into a net session telling myself not to think of technicalities but would find something to work on just a few sets in. I think it's related to how comfortable you get with your bowling action. I'm getting to a point where I'm less worried about my action and more focused on accuracy and subtle variations. Having said that though, even the best bowlers in the world sometimes need technical adjustment. It's very important that you go about it the right way though. You should be aware that any technical adjustment may cause changes to other parts of your bowling action.

Played in my first t20 game tonight. We batted first. The captain didn't know anything about me and thought I was a batsman, so he stuck me in at 5. We batted first I made a quick 13 and was caught out trying to slog a slow loopy off-spinner. We made 97 from our 20 overs. Not bad with a really slow outfield.

They went in and were pretty much cruising to victory at something like 77-5 with 5 overs left when I was thrown the ball (I had let the captain know I bowled leg spin). My first over was pretty terrible. The left hander who was their danger man was on strike the whole time and hit me for 11, although he was dropped at square leg to a full toss (it was travelling) and played and missed one. The next over from the other end didn't go for much so we were still in the game. I thought I would be taken off after bowling 11-0 but was chucked the ball again and then... it all happened. First ball got the left hander out, pitched just outside off and took out his middle (bowling over the wicket). Next ball to a right hander, got him plum lbw golden duck. Pitched full and bang on line he didn't really know what to do with it. Then another left hander came in, a guy I know who plays for my other team so I know his game a bit. I was on a hat trick but didn't get him first ball. Anyway I had one ball left and decided to bowl a wrong un (my first wrong un in a match situation and as it turns out my only one to date), he didn't pick and thick edged it straight up in the air trying to slog. Out. Next over we took two more wickets. final catch from yours truly at gully to win the game with about 5 runs to spare.

Darth Spin 2 Overs 0 Maidens 15 runs 3 wickets. I'm not one to blow my own trombone but I am totally buzzing. The best thing about it all was that the captain of my Sunday team was at the non-striker's end for them and witnessed all three wickets, I got a little high five from him after my second over. It was fantasy stuff.

image.jpg

Played in my first t20 game tonight. We batted first. The captain didn't know anything about me and thought I was a batsman, so he stuck me in at 5. We batted first I made a quick 13 and was caught out trying to slog a slow loopy off-spinner. We made 97 from our 20 overs. Not bad with a really slow outfield.

They went in and were pretty much cruising to victory at something like 77-5 with 5 overs left when I was thrown the ball (I had let the captain know I bowled leg spin). My first over was pretty terrible. The left hander who was their danger man was on strike the whole time and hit me for 11, although he was dropped at square leg to a full toss (it was travelling) and played and missed one. The next over from the other end didn't go for much so we were still in the game. I thought I would be taken off after bowling 11-0 but was chucked the ball again and then... it all happened. First ball got the left hander out, pitched just outside off and took out his middle (bowling over the wicket). Next ball to a right hander, got him plum lbw golden duck. Pitched full and bang on line he didn't really know what to do with it. Then another left hander came in, a guy I know who plays for my other team so I know his game a bit. I was on a hat trick but didn't get him first ball. Anyway I had one ball left and decided to bowl a wrong un (my first wrong un in a match situation and as it turns out my only one to date), he didn't pick and thick edged it straight up in the air trying to slog. Out. Next over we took two more wickets. final catch from yours truly at gully to win the game with about 5 runs to spare.

Darth Spin 2 Overs 0 Maidens 15 runs 3 wickets. I'm not one to blow my own trombone but I am totally buzzing. The best thing about it all was that the captain of my Sunday team was at the non-striker's end for them and witnessed all three wickets, I got a little high five from him after my second over. It was fantasy stuff.

Superb Martin, sounds like a right result especially after being smacked for 11, I think we all know that feeling and how good was that, the captain staying with you after that over, maybe suspecting that you'd settle. or was it that this captain could see that the batsman's approach was flawed and that it was only going to be a few balls and he'd be gone. Whatever it was, it sounds as though the captain should be commended for giving you the overs and the chance to make an impact.

We'll have to start a little league table...

Martin (Darth Spin) 2-0-15-3 strike rate 5
Dave (Somebloke') 7.2-1-35-4 strike rate 11

Superb Martin, sounds like a right result especially after being smacked for 11, I think we all know that feeling and how good was that, the captain staying with you after that over, maybe suspecting that you'd settle. or was it that this captain could see that the batsman's approach was flawed and that it was only going to be a few balls and he'd be gone. Whatever it was, it sounds as though the captain should be commended for giving you the overs and the chance to make an impact.

We'll have to start a little league table...

Martin (Darth Spin) 2-0-15-3 strike rate 5
Dave (Somebloke') 7.2-1-35-4 strike rate 11

Cheers Dave. I can't tell you how good it felt. I think everyone had accepted that we were going to lose, so the captain kept me on I think just to see if I could hack it with future games in mind. I guess he didn't want to ruin my confidence by taking me off after one poor over, and I thank him for that. Nobody really celebrated the first wicket because I think they'd already accepted defeat. I celebrated it, boy did I celebrate. It was the first time I'd bowled someone. However when I got the next guy out first ball some belief came back to us and everyone celebrated the wicket. And the third wicket really made them believe, we were at their tail and the field was pulled in to finish the job.

The captain was actually apologetic afterwards but I said it was fine, he didn't know my game but he does now so I think I'll get 4 overs in the next t20 game. And with the captain of my Sunday team watching 3 of his team mates head back to the boundary in one over, well that can't have done my chances any harm.

I don't know if you missed my posts a few pages back but I did play in another game a couple of weeks back (40 overs), I'll add that to your table. There was a big partnership in that 40 over game, one guy made 80 in that innings then retired not out. He's the one I got with the wrong un.

Martin 8-1-43-4 strike rate 12
Dave 7.2-1-35-4 strike rate 11

I need to work on my economy but no way did I think I'd have 4 wickets after 8 overs as a leggie. Got through three quarters of a Rioja replaying last night's match in my head. No alcohol today. Bad alcohol.

Here's the match report.

Dear Cricketers,

The **** Midweek Friendly XI registered their first win in 2013 against LTC, a strong and competitive team who have beaten us consistently both at home and away since 7 August 2007. With myself taking over from *** ***** as the new Midweek Friendly skipper, it was most satisfying to register a win, not only in our first match of the season, but also against a team like LTC. I have to say that everyone contributed brilliantly this evening, particularly the bowlers and fielders. Batting first, we posted 95 runs in 20 overs, certainly 15 runs less than I thought would be comfortable but 15 runs higher than we have achieved against them in our last few matches. *** ****** (26), ******* ******* (22) and *** ****** (22) all pushed hard on a pitch where fours along the ground were non-existent, given the long grass.

Bowling from 'The Barge End', I was lucky to register a double wicket maiden in my first over, thanks to two great catches from *** and *******, the latter taking two wickets himself during his bowling spell. *** also took 2 wickets and ***** ********* got 1, but the pick of the bowling was debutant Darth Spin with 3 wickets, who also took the final catch off ***'s bowling to win us the match. **** ******** was also excellent behind the stumps.

Well done to everyone for a thoroughly good performance and a very promising start to our 2013 campaign!

For reference, these have been the results against LTC in recent years:

05/07/2012 LTC won by 3 wickets
21/07/2011 LTC won by 5 wickets
17/05/2011 LTC won by 5 wickets
24/08/2010 LTC won by 23 runs
17/06/2010 LTC won by 5 wickets
18/05/2010 LTC won by 4 wickets
18/08/2009 LTC won by 8 wickets
26/05/2009 LTC won by 4 wickets
06/05/2008 LTC won by 34 runs
07/08/2007 **** won by 9 wickets
I will send out the first call for players for next Thursday's match
Warm regards,

**** WebMaster & Midweek Friendly XI Skipper

Cheers Dave. I can't tell you how good it felt. I think everyone had accepted that we were going to lose, so the captain kept me on I think just to see if I could hack it with future games in mind. I guess he didn't want to ruin my confidence by taking me off after one poor over, and I thank him for that. Nobody really celebrated the first wicket because I think they'd already accepted defeat. I celebrated it, boy did I celebrate. It was the first time I'd bowled someone. However when I got the next guy out first ball some belief came back to us and everyone celebrated the wicket. And the third wicket really made them believe, we were at their tail and the field was pulled in to finish the job.

The captain was actually apologetic afterwards but I said it was fine, he didn't know my game but he does now so I think I'll get 4 overs in the next t20 game. And with the captain of my Sunday team watching 3 of his team mates head back to the boundary in one over, well that can't have done my chances any harm.

I don't know if you missed my posts a few pages back but I did play in another game a couple of weeks back (40 overs), I'll add that to your table. There was a big partnership in that 40 over game, one guy made 80 in that innings then retired not out. He's the one I got with the wrong un.

I need to work on my economy but no way did I think I'd have 4 wickets after 8 overs as a leggie. Got through three quarters of a Rioja replaying last night's match in my head. No alcohol today. Bad alcohol.

Here are mine in case anyone is interested. I predict they will get worse as the season progresses.
13.4-0-64-5

If it hadn't been for one over that went for 18 off a bloke en route to a 40 ball ton they'd look a bit better.

Nice one SLA, we'll try and keep this going for the moment, while we're all fairly close, I'd imagine the enthusiasm will lull if someone takes a big hit! No doubt we're all going to come across one like your 40 ball ton.

SLA - 13.4-0-64-5

Nice one SLA, we'll try and keep this going for the moment, while we're all fairly close, I'd imagine the enthusiasm will lull if someone takes a big hit! No doubt we're all going to come across one like your 40 ball ton.

SLA - 13.4-0-64-5

Had a mediocre week failing to defend a low total (only bowled 4 overs when it was pretty much over already, didn't get a wicket), then a decent week bowling first, I came on with them on about 90-0 and got out their top three to get us back in the game.

So currently 25 -1 - 107 - 8

Bad week for me. Only 4 with the bat succumbed to a very good catch trying to drive. With the ball 2 Overs O Maidens 11 Runs 0 Wickets. Taken off after 2 overs, a couple of lbw shouts but none given. Last ball was my best but was full and middled for six.

Another pudding of a performance from me tonight. One dropped catch, an inside edge which agonisingly missed and that was it amongst some pretty rank stuff. The fielding was dire, though. 3 Overs 0 Maidens 20 Runs 0 Wickets. Just 2 with the bat.

SLA 25-1-107-8 S/R 18.75
Dave 7.5-1-35-4 S/R 11
Martin 13-1-74-4 S/R 19.5

Another pudding of a performance from me tonight. One dropped catch, an inside edge which agonisingly missed and that was it amongst some pretty rank stuff. The fielding was dire, though. 3 Overs 0 Maidens 20 Runs 0 Wickets. Just 2 with the bat.

SLA 25-1-107-8 S/R 18.75
Dave 7.5-1-35-4 S/R 11
Martin 13-1-74-4 S/R 19.5

Are you counting 20-20 games? I'm only counting league games. 20-20 games it very much depends when you bowl I find. Sometimes like tonight I will be asked to open against the opposition pinch hitters and will be pleased with 2 overs, 0-10. Other times I will bowl in the middle overs with the oppo several down already and pick up a bunch of cheap wickets.

Hi guys, I'm new to legspin (its been winter in Australia for a few months and I began straight after summer) but now I've done something to my shoulder. I changed my action recently and I think my arm speed increased a lot which wrecked my shoulder, and now bowling with slower arm speed still hurts after a few overs. What should I do?

Hi guys, I'm new to legspin (its been winter in Australia for a few months and I began straight after summer) but now I've done something to my shoulder. I changed my action recently and I think my arm speed increased a lot which wrecked my shoulder, and now bowling with slower arm speed still hurts after a few overs. What should I do?

See a doctor, you've probably torn something.

Are you counting 20-20 games? I'm only counting league games. 20-20 games it very much depends when you bowl I find. Sometimes like tonight I will be asked to open against the opposition pinch hitters and will be pleased with 2 overs, 0-10. Other times I will bowl in the middle overs with the oppo several down already and pick up a bunch of cheap wickets.

Yes mate. I haven't played any league games, only friendlies. Our whole team only took 4 wickets last night (2 of them by the other leggie in the team who picked up his first wickets of the season in consecutive balls).

Back