Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

Big break- through on the video front......SLOW MOTION!
This first initial video is low quality with the wrong light balance. Once I've got the camera sussed and learnt how to edit the video I should be able to present some good footage. So check this space in the coming weeks. I want everyone to comment on my technique. In this ropey initial clip, i'm the bloke in the dark stripey t-shirt.

YouTube - Bowling practice slow motion.avi

Hi Dave,

Can I suggest you move the camera for the next session; either back view, behind the batsman or side view, between the stumps and the crease... never really understood the obsession some women have of ogling guys bottoms :p

Drop a two word hint to your fellow bowlers... "follow through!" :D

someblokecalleddave;288205 said:
Surely that's a Godsend? If you're able to do that couldn't you bowl your standard ball the majority of the time down the offside and then put the ball down the leg side making it look like you've made a mistake and then this ball is the one with fizz that goes round the back of their legs a la Shane Warne?

Ideally yes, the problem is I don't know what I do when I make the ball fizz out of my hand... It just happens, and happens very rarely. Sometimes at training I might bowl one or two in a night, or I could go a month without bowling one at all.

That's why I'd like to identify what actually causes this, and learn to actually bowl it when I want to. Because if I could, I'd be almost impossible to face.

Maybe that's how the ball came out of Warne's hand every ball, and that is why he was so good.

Look at this clip it's in slow motion and you can see what happens with Warnes fingers as he releases the ball - YouTube - Cricket In Super Slow Motion in my experience over the last couple of months learning how to bowl leg breaks and so being totally obsessed with what it is in the mechanics of the delivery that gives you that Fizz that makes it turn big. I reckon it's that trailing finger/fingers that imparts the extra spin/rotation. Being new to the Leg Break as such it is a wholly un-natural thing for me to do and I'm acutely aware of how it feels as it comes out of my hand and for me, if the timing is right on the release I can feel the last two fingers trailing off the ball in the same way shown here in this slow mo clip and when that happens it turns like Warnesque Leg Break. Like you it only happens sometimes, but I reckon it's a case of shed loads of practice. Get it wrong and I drag it down short!

yeah I know what you mean about the ball fizzing out the hand you can always feel if it rips out, I don't know if its possible to do it every ball. I've had a couple of sessions before when I can do it every couple of balls but normally its very rare. Dave I don't think it is the extra fingers that do it as I don't even use my last 2 fingers with my stock ball and I can feel the fizz and bowling with a orthodox release actually puts less revolutions of the ball.

Gundalf you've said in the past and I think you mentioned this quite recently that you get blisters on your fingers from bowling spin? Where do you get the blisters then? With this new leg break if I was to suffer from blisters and it's a possibility it would be the ring finger because that's the one for me that puts the spin on the ball using the trailing affect mentioned and exemplified in the video clip.

You might have read elsewhere that I've now got a new camera and it takes very good quality video footage using AVI files. Additionally I've come across a free program on-line that then allows you to slow your videos down to as slow as you want e.g. 1 frame per second. So in time with someone behind the camera using a tripod I'm hoping to record all of my releases looking at them from the front and side. Hopefully the highest quality setting I have on the camera is going to allow me to do this with quite some detail. So that'll be interesting to see - because like the other geezer above 'Paper Doll' I haven't got a clue why my Wrong Un's are so good - it's just a case that I throw the ball in a particular way and it works, but what part of the hand makes it spin is a bit of a mystery to me! So that'll be interesting to see!?

yeah I mainly get blisters on my spinning finger too which for me is my middle finger though its only happened recently practicing in damp outdoor conditions. I think the blisters are caused by the slipping of the ball which means your not getting the most out of the leg break and more energy is being lost to friction

Hmm that's really odd, your grip and hand action must be completely different to mine, although I would never assume that I'd be anywhere near as good as you are as it's obvious that you're bowling good leg breaks, whereas I'm still trying to master it. But I don't think it's important because again if you refer to Philpott he says not to get hung up on your grip and obviously people have different sized hands and different ways of holding the ball, but it would be interesting to see how your grip and release differs from mine?

hi dave i've got a couple of pictures of my grip for the leg break one from the front and one from behind. The delivery involved the middle finger flicking the ball over the top of the index finger from the side of hand

Hi guys,
I'm a leg spinner, and have found a way to get a massive amount of turn.
I don't really know how to explain, but I push my whole body to the left, and with my arm, build up pressure ( sorta half stop) then flick my arm as hard as possible. ( while still being legal)
Get about 40 degrees+ everytime.

i do something similiar i do a half stop in my delivery stride aswell but instead of front arm going to the target my arm pushes out to the left which opens up my body which gives my bowling arm lots of momentum, but this method isint very accurate but gets lots of turn. I just introduced the half stop in my delivery stride and it helps alot.

Yeah, i hardly ever get it on target, but it sure is fun.
Good for bowling people round the legs ;) all you have to do is aim for off stump.:D

Liz Ward;288746 said:
Hi Dave,

Can I suggest you move the camera for the next session; either back view, behind the batsman or side view, between the stumps and the crease... never really understood the obsession some women have of ogling guys bottoms :p

Drop a two word hint to your fellow bowlers... "follow through!" :D

Cheers Liz.

Yeah I'll certainly try different angles. At this session I'd only just got the camera and was far more excited to get an opportunity to bowl and bat! Since then I've got to grips with the camera a lot more and sussed out ways in which to save and edit the files and produce slow motion clips and it's something I'm looking to do at the next session.

Yeah the other 2 blokes actions are a bit rusty one of them I think in the lighter gear he can bowl fairly well but needs a better run up, but yeah both of them were weak on the follow through but it was the first time they'd picked a ball up in 2 years. I mentioned it to them myself.

I'm just in the process of sorting out a venue with nets for 2 hours every weeks for a very reasonable price and if it all goes through I hope we'll be practicing every week from Jan 10th so you'll have to hold on till then for the video footage.

Unspinable;292378 said:
Hi guys,
I'm a leg spinner, and have found a way to get a massive amount of turn.
I don't really know how to explain, but I push my whole body to the left, and with my arm, build up pressure ( sorta half stop) then flick my arm as hard as possible. ( while still being legal)
Get about 40 degrees+ everytime.

I think I've experienced this myself. The bowling action kind of happens in 2 sections and there's a kind of stall as you go into the follow through and whip your arm over. I think one of the Sri Lankan spinners does it (Not Murali)?

Yeah Murali does do that in his action also alot of offspinners do this, Like the pakistanis offspinners if you look at saqlain mushtaqs and shoaib maliks actions spring to mind. I think its a good idea for legspinners to do this aswell and it helps with balance in the delivery stride and the explosive shoulder rotation at the end. But you need to keep in mind the speed of the delivery stride should be the same speed as your run-up, this will ensure you keep the same rythym.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back