Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

Just been reading some more of the wrist spinners Bible , it seems that every time I go back to it I find something I've over-looked or just didn't bother to take on board. This time it relates to the rotation of the shoulder. Page 60 The Art of Wrist Spin Bowling, Peter Philpott - Published by crowood. "The shoulders during the delivery should rotate over one another in a line towards the batsman, not around one another towards Gully or Point. Thus the body chases the ball rather than falling away". The context that this is mentioned in is another point with regards that wrist spin bowling is a 2 arm action, the high - reach for the sky leading-in arm that then powers through driving the delivery arm with more ooomph. It's not something I've focussed on before and I'm kind of hoping that now when I look at my bowling action on video I'm already doing it. Apparently if you're doing this correctly one shoulder goes over the other and it leads to increased accuracy. There's a mention of the reach for the sky arm coming down into a 'Tuck into the ribs' position 'Before it is thrown away' which is slightly confusing description that doesn't register with me so I'm going to have a look at the Jenner and Warne vids to see if I can make sense of this and turn it into laymans language.

Virendersingh.berthwal;336132 said:
Good photos and the theory is also impressive.
Good compilation of the overall.

The intention is that once I'm a bit more knowledgeable I'll produce a page on my blog that'll be a good resource for anyone taking up Wrist Spin. I'll have pictures and links and all the things you need to get started. As it is if you do searches on the internet for subjects related to this area of cricket you're normally directed to either this thread or my blog in the first 10 options which is quite satisfying! Cheers for your support.

good to hear its going well dave, i'm just beginning to start bowling again as my finger seems to have mostly healed though i'm still having my grip problems, though last nights session I had was great.

I've loosened my grip with the leg break and it seems to be okay, it seems to me that as long as keep the wrist in that forward facing position and trail off the 3rd finger and push the ball forward it comes good. The pushing the ball forward for me seems to be a really important part of the process.

Did some practice of small leg breaks with a target 2 metres in front of batting crease in front of middle stump. The result:
1)70% on target
2)20% down leg side ( stiff breeze was blowing towards leg side )
3)10% towrds off side.

Conclusions: When thinking what wrist, fingers and body was doing, bowling was rather poor. Once I concentrated on my rythym and target everything improved. I have a 6 step approach and my rythym is 12-3456 if you understand me.

The big leg break over arm: my brain says a definite no everytime it ends up a small leg break with mainly overspin and very little side spin.

The small leg break pitched 2 metres in font of the batting crease and ended about 6 to 7 inhes outside off stump at the stumps, so just a little leg break. The googly is hopeless but am not too worried. 2 flippers right on target. Also tried to vary the pace and flight, this was interesting as it would not allow a batsman to get your rythym of bowling.

Would like to practice more , but with 90 hours at work and a family little time is left for anything else.

Saddo my sympathies are with you concerning your time! Yeah I know exactly what you mean with your 12-3456. I think Shane Warne is kind of 1234 - 56? So was you happy with the spot bowling and did you use a bit of board or mark the area out in some way? With regards the big leg break, I think I'm pretty much the same as you, standing still I can make the back come back further than a right angle and getting it to turn a right angle is a piece of cake, but then try and convert that into something across any kind of distance and it all goes wrong which is incredibly frustrating. I'm kind of just going to focus on my small Leg Break which seemingly the more I do and the more relaxed and confident that I can bowl it seems to be improving on it's own which is very promising. I'm going to see how that goes and then maybe bit by bit just slowly turn the wrist round the loop and see if I can develop the Biggun over a period of time? But I'm with you mate on that sense that it's just there somewhere to be had ...... just a tweak away from being discovered. In time maybe we'll get there?

I'm getting a bit cocky now that I can bowl it and I'm thinking about trying to produce the ultimate on-line resource for wanna be leg spinners. I often just do searches on Google to see how prominent my blog is on the internet and it's pretty much there in the top 10 searches or if it's not this forum thread is, so it's obvious that there's not a lot out there or we're just prolific on here with our rantings? I think that this thread would be far more popular if it was titled Leg Spin Bowling instead of the (As we know) correct term wrist spin bowling, so if I'm to work on this resource I reckon it's going to have in it's title wrist spin bowling - what do you reckon?

Here we go I've made a start http://legspinbowling.blogspot.com/

I can't believe the blog name was available!

Well done dave for your blog. Very informative and probably helps to rekindle enthusiasm in leg/wrist spinners flagging confidence to practice following your tips.

As regards the information, I agree very scant information on the net. Even as regards books, few are available.Even in the book by Woolmer which is about 700 pages there is very little information on this dark art.

The title of your book remember the demi god phil has named it WRIST spin. Careful or you may excommunicated from the fraternity of leg spin, and banished to eternal damnation.

As a target actually I used a stone about 20cm by 20cm

My captain who's an ECB qualified coach wasn't aware of the 'Wings to fly' DVD's and I drew his attention to them and he's ordered me a copy as well as the whole series for himself. One of them is primarily about wrist spin bowling and that's the one he's ordered for me, so that'll be interesting to see. The weird thing is when you go looking around the internet for info on wrist spin bowling you soon get a feeling that now Warne has retired the demise of Wrist Spin is already under way again like in the 1970's, so it's surprising that organisations like the ECB don't sell their DVD's to the public as you'd have thought that 1. They'd want to earn revenue and 2. They'd be actively involved in the promotion of encouraging wrist spin bowlers by making these DVD's available?

When my Captain gets the DVD's he's also lending me the Woolmer book as well, but you're saying that there's not a great deal in it?

I wish I could get hold of the DVD if it is anygood for the drills mainly and to see how they bowl the big leg break under and round arm. In one of the pictures philpott bowls under arm with the ball spinning with backspin which i suppose is the big one ( do not know the page but he is bowling the wrong one underarm in the other picture).

Wouldn't it be nice if philpott made a short video like jenners, but somehow he does not seem to get much exposure on the net probably due to his age, but i have to admit the book is a gem but would be enhanced had there been an accompanying dvd. Maybe the moderaters on this site can contact him and tell him that he could save a couple of old legspinners from self destruction and premature arthritis with some of his tips!

I also found that grimmett, had written a couple of very good books but sadly are out of print as I think he was a very shrewd player. Also Benaud, seems to have done part of an MCC video on leg spin. Unfortunately i do not think this has been converted to a dvd.

Finally great idea dave for the website. There is a video on youtube of bryce mcgain bowling with victoria against india if you want to include it ( sorry do not have the link)

Ps if anyone knows how i can get a copy of wings to fly, I would be very grateful as I am not from the UK, and do not know any ECB coaches.

Saddo, The Clarrie Grimmett books are available as I almost ordered one some months back, you have to get them from book collectors and they're not that expensive GRIMMETT, C. V. - Grimmett on Getting Wickets . With regards the wings to fly there's a vague chance I might be able to get another copy as there's a few more blokes that our club who are ECB accredited coaches so I might be able to do the same thing with them? Give it a week or so and by then I'll have had a look at my copy if I can collect it next Thursday at nets and I'll let you know whether it's any good or not. Where are you - from the Warriors thing on your avatar I'm assuming you're in Australia or South Africa? If so doesn't that have some kind of bearing on whether the DVD will play in your DVD player?

Thank you. I am tempted to get the grimmett book, but do not know whether it is very informative, or whether he has been 'copied' by the others eg jenner etc.

I live in malta so we use region 2, as far as i know like the rest of europe.

By the way i use my middle finger (rude) to spin the ball, like gundalf. Maybe that is why i find the googly difficult, as my shoulder will need to rotate more.I also find it impossible to bowl the slider as jenner describes it ie thumb pointing to the bowler or the opposite position of the topspinner. Funnily for warne it is bowled as a normal leg break but without spinning it according to his video. Philpott describes it as jenner does.

Yeah I'm totally baffled by the slider too and I've never met anyone who bowls it either. What I call my slider (based on the fact that it's a back spinning ball) is a ball that is gripped in the conventional 2 up 2 down across the seam wrist spinners grip. What I more or less do is bowl it as if it's a seam up ball with the fingers trailing off the under-side of the ball causing it to back-spin. This means that it then has a scrambled seam and has a flight like a Flipper e.g. it stays in the air and goes straight. When it hits the deck it reacts in accordance with it either hitting the smooth part of the ball wherein it stalls slightly and skids in low or hits the seam and then acts erratically. The other thing with it is - because you're not trying to put any side spin on it in any way you're able to bowl it like a Medium pacer and I bowl the slider much faster than any of my other balls so it has that as a surprise element. I rarely bowl it though because I find that I tend to get it right first go but then it all goes to pieces if I try and practice it.

Yeah this used to be 9MSN and I could navigate my way round it easily and there was loads of good stuff on here. This is where the Shane Warne and Mark Richards at the Wacca came from that is now on youtube, but since becoming WWOS I can't use it. I linked to it from your comment and it lead me to a video on motorbikes, so I had a look around and found The Cricket Show but it's just crappy short news footage. It did used to have clips on there featuring Mark Waugh and Ponting and some of the other big name Aussies talking about all sorts of stuff but not anymore. What was your link supposed be to - or was it the motorbikes?

Legspin bowling

Sorry. Check that site and look for december 28 videos. Understanding the spin with warne. Nothing new but different

It took heaps of time to find it, but scrolling through the pages 1 by 1 I end up eventually in December and found it, I'm watching it now cheers.

Is he at Stafforf uni? If he's in the picture I reckon he's one of the 2 on the left? Although I don't think he made the 1st team last year and surely that would probably exclude him? What does he study?

On another subject - it's a gorgeous day here in the UK I reckon it must be about 15 degrees and we've got wall to wall blue sky and no wind. I was hoping to get out on a field with a few of the blokes from work today but they've blown me out so I might have an hour on my own with a bucket of balls. Weirdly after such a good night in the nets Thursday I bowled a few yesterday when my kids were swimming (I bowl up against a wall outside while they're swimming) and it wasn't half as good - still turning mind you but something was wrong and it's that not quite getting it right that's frustrating and baffling because it's normally something really small.

www.legspinbowling.blogspot.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back