Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

Ive said all along its refreshing to hear you talk about practises! It'd be nice for you to lift that positive mindset in the nets, to out there in the middle! Go out, have fun, and destroy teams! Thats what leggies do, right?

Yeah hopefully it'll come some day, I'm looking forward to my next game because of the fact that it suddenly clicked that I should be looking at the batsman and seeing how he deals with my bowling and then devise a plan, it seems so obvious that I should try and draw him out of the crease. I've been bowling at the batsman at the same length more or less looking at the stumps to gauge length rather than the bat. Now I'm thinking watch the bat and see what he does in order to deal with my bowling and then tempt him further down the wicket looking to slog the ball - maybe even give up a couple of fours so that he feels like he's getting the upper hand and then bowl a flipper that skids in low and turns the other way to all my off spin balls? See how that works out?

Its all about building blocks. A long time ago we talked about those first 2 overs! Doesn't matter what you do in them, either bowl two maidens or get carted for 30, its all about getting in, and watching what and how the batsmen plays you!

Yep, I remember and it's what I did in the last game and in the first 2 overs I think the 2nd over was a maiden. But then by the 3rd over the bat had then got the measure of me and started to come after me. But I continued to pitch the ball more or less the same length. I've got to say on the day is was bowling only wrong uns and top spinners because I've moved away from trying to get the flippers to turn like leg breaks, one because I was fairly inconsistent with regards accuracy and secondly batsmen were dealing with them quite readily if I was using them as the stock ball (Which I was). But I've developed a different variation of the flipper that I call the gipper that does turn like a leg break sometimes and it's something I've been practicing with and I was brave enough to chuck 2 of those up in amongst the wrong uns and they seemed to unsettle the bat a bit and they were dot balls. I'm quite optimistic about this next game because I have suddenly become aware of the fact that I need to be aware of what the bat is doing and yep for sure I'll be doing just as you say - 2 overs of something pretty bland, safe and consistent just to give the impression that I'm a one trick pony (Top spinners) varying the length and pace and this time I'll be watching to see what he does and then bring in the big turning wrong uns with the occassional "Gipper" and see how that pans out. It should be interesting?

The luck of a legspinner can change like the wind. Two weeks ago our trainee leggie (probably in the game same amount of time as you've been) was awful, no turn, no consistency, all over the place.

Today, he was very, very good. Got the ball to turn sharply, good lines and bowled the final 3 overs in the innings for hardly anything. Even better when you consider we only had 9 players and couldn't put people on the boundary as we'd normally do.

I think what I'm saying is that it will come good - just keep doing the basics and go from there.

The art of getting the ball out of the back of the hand is hard enough in itself, i sometimes struggle and have had to revert back to slow left arm just to be consistant.

But the rewards for a leggie over an offie are there to see, we hail Warne as God (Maybe his media tricks have done him well, or maybe not) and we just think Murali is the guy who everyone likes with amazing talant.

Either way, Mas' "luck change," is right. The change gets less once you're confident in your abilities. Some might say i'm too confident but I purely say that i've been playing this game long enough to know how good I am, and I know, on a given day i can destroy a team, and the next day i can get carted around for 80 off 10ovs. Me knowing that allows me to even things out overall through a season.

so in the googly the wrist is cocked so the back of the hand faces the sky then i flick my wrist with my 3rd finger so the back of the hand faces the batsmen? is that correct?

That kind of sounds like it. Honestly if the back of your hand is facing the bowler on the release and you give it a big old flick and I mean a big flick you can't help but produce one of Murali's Doosras and that involves no real finger action - but man does it go and spin! If you bowl like you're bowling a top spinner, but then turn your hand slightly at the point of release and then leave your fingers dragging across the ball that'll produce the wrong un (Googlie). Personally if you're bowling good leg breaks (I know from bitter experience) you have to be really careful with this. Everyone says this - Jenner, Warne and Peter Philpott - if you're determined to bowl the Googlie and it doesn't come easy and then you spend a lot of time bowling it and practicing it, you run the real chance of losing your Leg Break. It's as if your brain embeds the googlie reflex and action more affectively than the Leg Break and once it's there the googlie seems like the more natural way of bowling and your body seems only capable of bowling offspin thereafter. They say if you're going to bowl Googlies/Wrong uns only do so rarely sort of once every 2 overs or something. Be really careful - DON'T LOSE YOUR LEG BREAK!

came back from training and noticed something different about my leg break but i dont know wat is was i definetly felt something different anyway, i usualy get some bounce and spin but today i got more spin and less bounce which means i was hitting the stumps but i dont know how i did it as a couple of deliveries after i was getting more bounce and less spin again.

It's a fickle business this Leg Break lark, keep bowling your leggies 90% of the time when you play and when you practice and you should be okay. You just may have had a bad day or perhaps you weren't concentrating 100%?

no.. actually it was a good day but i dont know how it happend getting more spin and less bounce is wat i always wanted but i just dont know what caused it i want to know so i can be more consistent at this deliver.

You probably bowled with more sidespin(=more spin and turn) and less topspin(=less bounce). Possibly the length may be fuller as well due to less topspin causing less drop.

yeah your prob right but i dont know how to repeat it again lol.

Added 2 minute(s) and 1 second(s) later...

maybe because i lowered my arm to 10 o clock, before it was like 12 o clock. also im more side on than front on now. i find having a side on action has less control but more turn. but it's still good. What are your arm positions at release?

Being a leg spinner;side on will be helpful and ur arm action should be between the 10 or 12 clock distance .
Few more basics;
1) Have a dedicated run-up.
2) Observe the side-on and front-on angle u will see difference in spin.
3) Use ur wrist with greater effect to generate spin.
4) Practice a lot of leg spin as that is ur stock delivery.90% for leg spin and 10% for flippers or googly.
5) while bowling leg spin;make sure ur Front Leg Toe is pointed towards slip region.
6) Complete follow through is required like fast bowlers but don't lean too much forward...just nice and easy.It should be like sweet music.
7) Observe the batsmen's feet for pitching the ball.

The above mentioned few things are important for leg spin and most important thing is "Practice" and "Practice".
What is ur age and from when u have started leg spin.
Can u post a bowling video.

i am 15 ive been bowling legspin for 3-4 months. i can only bowl the legbreak. And ill try to post a video. i get good turn with my legbreak.

Just go thru my earlier post and practice accordingly.
Since u have started from last 3-4 months.This is the important time to work ur leg spin to make it happen more effectively for future.
Post ur bowling video from the batsmen's end.For reference u can check the video posted by "Akkers" in the "Bowling Advice" thread particularly the shooting angle.
Regularly update ur progress like Dave does :)

Hi, I am a leg spin bowler. When I bowl, i feel I am not in total control and feel like its a fluke every time I bowl a good ball. Why is this? Is it phsychological or what ??

Also, any tips of what i can do to bowl with not tooo much flight without bowling short? Lastly, any tips on how to bowl my quicker delivery without it going completely wrong?

Thanks!

Hi Basit,
Can u provide some more details:
Ur age and Bowling leg spin since...?
Secondly;I have just posted some basic things on leg spin........just read it and it might be helpful to you and revert back accordingly.

Hi virender. I am 14 years old and have been bowling leg spin for around a year or so. I started around 2 years ago but it wasn't until last year i began to get really good at it. But thing is, i never am 100% happy with my bowling. I always feel like theres something i could be doing better.

Any answers to my original questions?

Thanks Basit for the details.
since ur bowling from last year u must have played some matches.How was ur bowling performance in those matches.
My first advice is to read my earlier post and understand wether u have missed some points with regards to ur spin bowling.
Tomorrow in the nets try to do "Spot Bowling" and if possible post video as well.
Mark a spot on a good length basis and pitch the ball on that spot itself.Try bowling more and more of leg spin.
If u r bowling to a batsmen then concentrate on the batsmen's feet for pitching the ball and no matter how good or bad the deliveries are just be patient.
Observe and update accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back