Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

I can assure you that the outfield looks a lot better from there than it does up close and personal! In all honesty, it's not too bad - unfortunately some swine went at our square with a shovel last season, and although it's mostly recovered, one of the strips is still occasionally a bit funny in very hot or very damp conditions. The biggest problem is the Southwest corner - it's a real minefield down there, as that's where it overlaps with one of the many football pitches - I've spent my fair share of time down there, and picking where the ball's going to bounce is like trying to guess where Steve Harmison's going to pitch his first ball - no-one knows.

Near the Pavillion is a fairly decent bit of outfield to practice on, and that's where I usually warm up. As for practicing there regularly, I'm going to start doing that more often in the winter, but at the moment I have a field literally two minutes walk from my door, and while it's no good once the football season starts, or when it's been raining, it's nice and convenient in the summer months.

hey do any of you's get this problem, Often at practice i feel my third finger slips off the ball and not flicking it which results in zero spin. Im very inconsistent at this. What cud be the reason for my third finger slipping of the ball rather than working with the wrist. When my third finger works with my wrist i can get alot of turn. Wat cud be the reason for this?

Hello my name is Shane and because of this forum i have finally be able to understand Wrist-Spin.For 3 yrs i have been trying to learn wrist spin but i am left-handed and found it very difficult until now.Also i have begun to practise flicking the ball using backspin towards my chest while also spinning it. I find it fairly easy could someone explain to me what this means and how it could improve my bowling. I am left-handed are there any suggestions for a left-handed wrist-spinner's field placement? As i am formerly a SLA...

Thanks

Hey Shane - the very best thing I can recommend to you is to get hold of a book by an Aussie chap by the name of Peter Philpott - it's called The Art Of Wrist Spin Bowling. It covers in detail all the things you asked, and even covers things like field placements.

As a Chinaman (a common name for Left armed Wrist-Spinners), you're probably the rarest type of bowler in cricket, so you have one major advantage, and that's that most batsmen will never have faced your particular brand of bowling before. Use that to your advantage, as your stock Leg-Break will come back into the right-handed batsman - you can drift the ball across them and make it come back in off the seam.

Practicing spinning it into yourself is indeed a good thing for your bowling, as it teaches you to impart as much spin on the ball as possible. The most important thing to remember is to give the ball a good 'flick'. You're not a slow bowler, you're a wrist spinner! Use that wrist in combination with your fingers to really get as many rotations on the ball as possible. Rip that ball into next week!

Once again, I can't recommend the Peter Philpott book highly enough - you can get it for less than £10GBP (don't know your local currency, but you can work it out...) from Amazon, probably cheaper if you look around. I was put onto it by someblokecalleddave on these forums, and it's an excellent resource. We're all more than happy to help you, so feel free to ask any more questions you might have. :)

Shane can u post a bowling video of yours and have you bowled in any of the matches to place fielders accordingly.
What is your left arm spin of: orthodox or chinaman.

Virender you love the idea of bowling video's don't you! Anyway I've brought home a real video camera from work but I know it's not going to work because it shoots high quality images on to DV tape and as far as I'm aware converting high quality DV captures into something that you put on the internet requires expensive software and high capacity processing.

for of the veteran wrist-spinners out there what variations do you think will be most effective for a left-arm wrist spinner. For bowling against right and left handed batsmen

hi theshane, traditionally the hardest balls for a batsman to face are bals that spin away from them so for a chinaman bowler the stock leg break is most effective against left handers and the wrong'un/googly is most effective against the right hander.

Though as always for a spinner the most effective thing is to vary pace and flight and is possible the amount and angle of spin to keep the batsman guessing

gundalf7;28798 said:
hi theshane, traditionally the hardest balls for a batsman to face are bals that spin away from them so for a chinaman bowler the stock leg break is most effective against left handers and the wrong'un/googly is most effective against the right hander.

Though as always for a spinner the most effective thing is to vary pace and flight and is possible the amount and angle of spin to keep the batsman guessing

Ok thanks alot for the info

for the flipper it is just the same as clicking your middle finger against your thumb, do this on the ball and it will generate the backspin to make the ball shoot through.

It will take quite a while to get the accuracy to bowl it on target due to the different grip, i didn't bowl mine for ages and have basically had to start from scratch again on the accuracy front

flippers the hardest ball for a leg spinner to bowl. first concentrate on other variations like googly,toppie and the slider then lastly the flipper.

Yes and i understand why they are the hardest delivery to learn i have all of the other variations so now i have to work on the flipper

Hello can anyone provide me with a few tips on bowling a hard breaking googly. I know how to bowl it i just want to get more turn out of it.

u need a really flexible wrist and fingers. basically the seam shud be fully horizontal and third finger needs to go right to the end of the other side of the ball.. really hard to bowl a sidespinning googly. the over spin googly is the most common.

The biggest problem I find with the 'big' googly is that it's quite easy to spot unless you've got a phenomenally strong flick. Because you need to get that wrist SO far round, you tend to involuntarily drop your left (or non-bowling) shoulder, making it pretty easy to see for a switched on batsman. You can turn it as much as you like, but if the batsman spots what you're up to, expect to watch the ball disappear over long on.

As for the flipper, I think it's a double edged sword. Whilst it's almost certainly the most difficult ball to control, it's well worth the effort, as nearly every leggie's flipper is different. Mine tends to *really* turn into the right-hander and speed up after pitching, but doesn't stay as low as it 'should'. If I remember correctly, Dave developed a kind of flipper that really bounced high and turned like a normal leg break. Others tend to straighten and stay really really low, so don't worry if yours doesn't behave as you'd expect it to, as having a 'unique' delivery that is yours and yours alone is infinitely more dangerous than just a regular flipper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back