Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

Comig back to the batsmen spotting the Googly.
If the batsmen has a good eye and watchs the wrist closely then any kind of variation will be of no use and if the batsmen is able to use his footwork efficiently then u should hope that he is at the non-striker's end for most of the time:D

Would you reccomend practising in the back-garden with tennis balls when getting started with Leg-Spinning ? I've been bowling alot of leg-spin in the last couple of days, and I'm starting to pick it up quite nicely in my garden. Obviously it'll be different bowling with a proper cricket ball, but is it a good place just to develop the basic skills ?

its easier with a tennis ball. once u can rip it properly with a tennis ball then move onto a tape ball, then wind ball. then a cricket ball. u shud practice legspin with any ball

tennis balls are good for learning the very basics but i'd recommend using something larger that is similar size to a cricket ball to practice with as you can have a very bad grip just practicing with a tennis ball

theshane;28875 said:
could anyone give me some tips for bowling the flipper

As the other geezer said you do exactly what you would do if clicking your fingers to music but then you stick the ball in there and flick the ball out with the same action. It'll take some time to get it, but if you do it all the time with different balls it soon comes. It's a lovely ball as well - can be faster and often turns from leg to off, if bowled slow and loopy it almost stops as it hits the ground if you put loads of back spin on it. Let me knwo how you get on with it. If you learn how to do it you should then look at twisting your wrist in different positions going round the clock as such as the spin changes.

You can bowl leg breaks and BIG leg breaks already though?

Added 9 minute(s) and 56 second(s) later...

TheSpinner;28954 said:
Hello can anyone provide me with a few tips on bowling a hard breaking googly. I know how to bowl it i just want to get more turn out of it.

I find that my Bigguns (Wrong Uns) come from a far more relaxed grip. The Top spinner wrong un that turns a bit has a more conventional spaced out fingers type grip. But my biggun always comes about through a really relaxed sloppy kind of variation of the normal wrist spinners grip. I think as a consequence the whole arm and wrist is far more relaxed and has a whipping feel to the action and providing the fingers roll off the seam and the flick is nice (A consequence of the arm/wrist whipping action) my wrong turns big.

The other way is to flick the ball in the manner that Mularitharan does with his Doosra, similar to the whipping action but more wristy, but I find this much harder to control with both the line and length.

Added 6 minute(s) and 51 second(s) later...

I've set myself a date to start rectifying my bowling. As you all may be aware I can't bowl the stock leg break as I suffer from the Googlie Syndrome. So on Sept 30th after my last match this season I will stop bowling all the other variations that I bowl - Wrong Un, Flipper, Gipper, Top Spinner, Doosra and a ropey slider in order to re-educate my brain and body to spin the ball without it coming out of the back of the hand. It's the only way forwards as far as I can see. I did it a couple of months back and it worked but then re-lost it by returning back to bowling wrong uns. I can't impress on all you blokes out there how important it is not to get too hung up on learning the variations especially the wrong un/googlie. Make sure that when you bowl you bowl the stock leg break 90% of the time otherwise you do stand the chance of losing your leg break.

someblokecalleddave;29022 said:
As the other geezer said you do exactly what you would do if clicking your fingers to music but then you stick the ball in there and flick the ball out with the same action. It'll take some time to get it, but if you do it all the time with different balls it soon comes. It's a lovely ball as well - can be faster and often turns from leg to off, if bowled slow and loopy it almost stops as it hits the ground if you put loads of back spin on it. Let me knwo how you get on with it. If you learn how to do it you should then look at twisting your wrist in different positions going round the clock as such as the spin changes.

You can bowl leg breaks and BIG leg breaks already though?

Well i already have the "baby" leg break as you would call it but i get confused when trying to bowl the "monster" leg break". Is it true that most put back-spin while trying to turn the ball? Could you give me some tips? Almost i will try to practice the Fipper asap and i will post when i improve.

I had a massive improvement in my Leg Break when I read the Peter Philpott book and read that he says you turn your wrist so that in affect you're spinning the ball in towards yourself. I'm sure that this then when you bowl it means that the ball comes out of the hand spinning diagonally back in towards yourself. Loads of people have issues on here with the idea. It worked for me untill I started bowling the wrong uns again and I lost the Leg break once more. I can only advise that you read Philpotts book. But I'd also say that if this makes no sense to you and you can get the ball to turn big - don't get hung up about it - just bowl what feels good and works for you.

spin it hand to hand, and over short distances practice with a partner just bowling round arm, over arm and under arm and observing the wrist position and seam position.

theshane;29059 said:
ok so what are some exercises i can do in order to learn how to spin it towards myself diagonally?

Similar to what "Ripping suggested" alongside the spinning it from hand to hand giving it a big flick also hold your arm out full length in front of you and spin it back towards your chest. Would it be helpful if I was to knock up a video and put it on youtube?

Yes this would be very appreciated as well as helpful to me and other who want to Master the "Art of Wrist Spin Bowling"

Thanks very much

i find the easiest way to bowl the big leg break is cock your wrist fully inwards to your arm and then give it the maximum rotation with hand over the ball the maximum rotation will be with your whole hand facing the batsmen and your hand will cock back.

Yeah - but it's so difficult to visualise these explanations, I've kind of sat here trying to interpret what you've said and I think I know what you mean and it sounds feasible, I'll try that.

Dave

someblokecalleddave;29081 said:
Similar to what "Ripping suggested" alongside the spinning it from hand to hand giving it a big flick also hold your arm out full length in front of you and spin it back towards your chest. Would it be helpful if I was to knock up a video and put it on youtube?

Hey Dave have you been able to post the video on youtube?

No the light has been bad. I think tomorrow the weather's going to be better and I'm doing some batting practice with my son. So while he's doing that I'll probably film him and do the spinning actions as well at the same time and try and post them up tomorrow night.

In the meantime here's some thoughts and observations from my blog at

http://mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com/2008/08/grays-chadwell-cc-v-mccc.html

I thought that the bowling of the 2 kids James and Callum was very interesting. It was very affective and I heard Pomph and Wayne both comment on the fact that they were both pretty much on target with the stumps on a consistent basis. This then combined with their unusually slow bowling was the downfall of 4 wickets in Boffa's team in very quick succession including Claricoates. Furthering the argument for unusual pace but accuracy was a performance by Pomph himself earlier in the year during a match in Kent where I think he took 2 or 3 wickets himself bowling what looked like ridiculously slow balls above the eyeline (as James and Callum did). Further evidence is my own son Joe who is only 7 who bowls leg spin and straight balls but again loopy and straight, I've seen him take 9 wickets in an evening playing against much older boys who bat really well and during the same holiday have scored 50's and 100's. So there seems to be some merit in the variation of pace, a good line and ensuring the ball rises above the eye-line?

This is with reference to a game I played on Sunday with our 3rd XI. We were losing and couldn't get a breakthrough and it came eventually due to two very small boys aged 12 who then proceeded to almost win the game for us! Check out the blog link.

Added 34 minute(s) and 38 second(s) later...

This looks useful. It's either a bit obscure or new as it's only been viewed 160 odd times, but it's over 5 minutes long and seems to have some really useful and technical points to consider. No big name cricketers (At least not to me) but seemingly sound advice

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaXEw9-XjP4"]YouTube - David Freedman legspin coaching video[/ame]

someblokecalleddave;29112 said:
No big name cricketers (At least not to me) but seemingly sound advice

Other than Beau Casson! The Aussies aren't going to be too impressed with you Dave ;)

This video is from an online blog:
Cricket Blog

Which should help put it in context.

I don't really like it though - as the primary purpose seems to be "You're not doing it the same as Beau, change your action". Though I suppose the coaching points are valid, I don't like the way it is put across.

it seems an alright video though I wouldn't say beau casson is the perfect example of a leg spinner. He talks about getting next to the stumps on one of the pages he is in front of the stumps, you'll get called for runing on the pitch if your bowling from there and his front foot on half the deliveries is about a foot short of the crease and on another its just right on the crease so good example of consistency, lol

I'll have to check out who Beau Casson is obviously!!! I like some of the exercises that he suggests - the one relating to lifting the leg as a part of the delivery was useful to me and I've just been having a go outside just now as that's a part of my delivery that is weak as well as the whole follow through.

Re - my video which I was going to do - I've just done some and had a look at it and I'm too close to the camera, I need someone to help me with it, I'll work on trying to get it sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back