Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

guys remember i asked for help cuz my third finger was slipping off the ball and the ball was merely lobbing up in the air, well its not because of my third fingers grip, i tried putting some saliva for it to stick but its a different problem, basically it feels only my wrist doing the work. My grip is really loose with all 3 fingers close together, recently my third finger is just not doing the flicking, But when i grip the ball and flick it hand to hand, underarm,overarm and round arm i feel my fingers and wrist working together but when i put my action together my fingers dont do anything. To understand my problem, hold a cricket ball in your hand and only use your wrist and not drag your fingers to propel the ball to your other hand. I understand my problem and ive been flicking the ball hand to hand all day long and its fine but when i bowl i cant flick the ball... so can someone help me plz?

This is good have a look at the whole thread, but take note of what Simbazz says about pushing the ball through the air, this is something I've never heard anyone say before and I reckon it maybe useful - http://www.simplycricket.net/showthread.php?p=29427#post29427

with regards rippings problem, try it with the top spinner, you'll feel your fingers dragging across the ball easily at the end of the flick, but don't go too far round otherwise you'll end up like me, keep away from the googlies. If you're getting all screwed up with all the technicalities with this, take a step back and go back to your old action if it was producing results. Have a look at www.greatberrycc.blogspot.com and look at the diary thread. I think it's possible that you can get bogged down with too many ideas and theories.

Added 21 hour(s), 12 minute(s) and 8 second(s) later...

Have a look at these - they're general videos but good.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraphtv/telegraphcricketacademy/

Hey guys, how are we all. Long time no see.

I've been bowling all winter (Been playing in an indoor cricket league).

Started training on Wednesday and I was in brilliant form. Getting a lot of rip and getting it in the right areas. Really can't wait for the season to start.

I am a left arm leggie who has recently gone from being fairly economic to bowling 2 or 3 bad balls an over which are usually put for 4. i feel that left arm leggies have a harder task in accuracy to right handers with a bad ball generally being dispatched down to the legside boundary. my theroy is shorter balls are due to head dropping and the leading shoulder doing the same. also i need some help on how to develop a slider. would be much apreciated

grosby;268053 said:
I am a left arm leggie who has recently gone from being fairly economic to bowling 2 or 3 bad balls an over which are usually put for 4. i feel that left arm leggies have a harder task in accuracy to right handers with a bad ball generally being dispatched down to the legside boundary. my theroy is shorter balls are due to head dropping and the leading shoulder doing the same. also i need some help on how to develop a slider. would be much apreciated

I bowl part time leggies, can't help you with bowling short balls but I worked out the slider last year. What I do is simply put all sidespin, no topspin on the ball and make it so it doesn't hit the seam. The batsman sees the seam spinning sideways and expects the ball to do the same but because it doesn't grip it doesn't turn either. So all you have to do is put all sidespin on it, nothing else

carn tigez;268158 said:
I bowl part time leggies, can't help you with bowling short balls but I worked out the slider last year. What I do is simply put all sidespin, no topspin on the ball and make it so it doesn't hit the seam. The batsman sees the seam spinning sideways and expects the ball to do the same but because it doesn't grip it doesn't turn either. So all you have to do is put all sidespin on it, nothing else

yeh cheers for that.
i used to try everything i could think of.
thanks a lot for the help. i wil get on it right away

Whoa! Weird and freaky. My internets been down for a couple of weeks and then I try and come back and the whole world has changed! Why do these people keep doing this to us? At least all this stuff is still here - although I've not found the blog page yet - they better have not deleted that!!!

Yeah - Virender, good to see you're on here mate, looks like some of the other blokes have been promoted to staff members on this website? Anyway - yes the bowling is coming along. I'm posting stuff on my main blog as usual MPA First Eleven so if you're vaguely interested have a look at what's going on there. But I've got shed loads of stuff to post on there as I've been out of action. But the good news is - I can bowl the Leg Break again. It's only small, but it's accurate and it's a good length and consistent, all I've got to do now is get the flick right and be able to bowl the big un! But it's all coming together nicely.

Simon - Hello mate I'm surprised you found me amongst all these millions on here now you must be really busy posting comments!

Yeah good, I'm just about to upload my blog entry in the pavillion section reviewing my year and it's on my own blog as well at MPA First Eleven and I've got good news on my Leg Break at last! I'll post something in the next few days or hours.

Dave

Actually I'll just mention it now -

Yeah - I've learned a lot this season, big learning curve. I've taken notice of what you blokes have all been saying about the necessity of bowling the leg break. I've noticed in the games that on it's own and as your stock ball the wrong un is limited and the synthesis of practice combined with the your knowledge of the game and Peter Philpotts book I realised that I have got to be able to bowl the Leg Break. So some months ago I decided that at the end of the season that's what the out of season objective would be - the same approach to last years line and length practice which has served me well this year.

The date for starting was Sept 30th but I didn't get a game this weekend and I've been making tentative starts on it prior to this weekend and having signs of some success. I've been thinking in terms of Philpotts 'Round the clock' analogy and realising that it makes a lot of sense. But then to actually bowl the ball for me in that position after a year of bowling the ball out of the back of my hand has felt totally alien (The googly syndrome). But I've been persevering and yesterday I spent an hour where I didn't bowl a single googly and it happened - every ball spun off towards off. Initially all a bit wayward, but after about 15 minutes the line and length came together fairly well and by the time I'd packed up I was more than happy, what I'd imagined was going to take me months seems to have happened in an hour? So I'm well please. My boys aren't though they're totally flummoxed, they've never seen me bowl balls that go that way! So yeah things are looking good. I'll let you know how they go or just check out www.thegooglysyndrome.blogspot.com (yeah another blog)!!!

hey Dave I bought the Peter Philpotts book and it has helped me a lot however I still am having problems getting my googly to turn...Any suggestions?

I used to be able to turn a googly real sharply. Now it spins only a couple of inches. It's more of a toppy than a wrongun/google. And it's easily picked as my arm is straighter and higher. They say to have the back of your hand facing fine leg, although I find it hard.

Got my first game next week, but will miss it because I'm on holiday. But my practice at training has been alright. Didn't feel right last Wednesday, but I'm still turning the ball big.

hi everyone, im new here, was just wondering if i could get help and advice on leg break. im a left arm leg spinner who was initially a batsmen, but started bowling left arm wrist spin about a year ago. im having trouble getting my leg break to turn. i can turn it a bit but the ball is dragged down so it seems as if i just pull the ball down from one side instead of spinning it. what i want is to loop and flight the ball and still achieve a high degree of spin. another problem im having is that i cant get the seam to stay upright and pointing towards the slips. i do have a very sharp googly and great top spinner but whats the use when my stock deliveries the one letting me down...

billy_balboa;268632 said:
hi everyone, im new here, was just wondering if i could get help and advice on leg break. im a left arm leg spinner who was initially a batsmen, but started bowling left arm wrist spin about a year ago. im having trouble getting my leg break to turn. i can turn it a bit but the ball is dragged down so it seems as if i just pull the ball down from one side instead of spinning it. what i want is to loop and flight the ball and still achieve a high degree of spin. another problem im having is that i cant get the seam to stay upright and pointing towards the slips. i do have a very sharp googly and great top spinner but whats the use when my stock deliveries the one letting me down...

I know Dave is a big fan of this, or atleast found it interesting!

When bowling, imagine yourself as a shot-put thrower (You know those athletes who throw a heavy ball right?) and "push," the ball upwards when bowling. You wanna let go and physically feel yourself pushing at the ball. This should eliminate the dragging IF you do this properly! I can give you a few videos if you wish :) Just PM me as i'm not sure on the use policy here at BigCricket.

On the seam on your stock delivery. How do you grip a ball? Two fingers up, two fingers down? Is it a loose grip, or a tight grip?

Apologies for all the questions but obviously for me to try to help i need to know! I'm also a Left Arm Legspinner by the way :) So you're in good hands!

TheSpinner;268433 said:
hey Dave I bought the Peter Philpotts book and it has helped me a lot however I still am having problems getting my googly to turn...Any suggestions?

Try a relaxed grip - still have the 2 fingers up 2 down, but don't spread the fingers. Your arm is important too, it needs to be very vertical erring towards over-vertical and twisted so that there's no doubt about the fact that the ball comes out of the back of the hand. When I started to learn this it really stressed my arm, it is a whole shoulder/arm/Wrist and flick movement that really jarrs your shoulder initially. You have to aim to really flick that ball. But - don't get obsessed with it otherwise you will have problems with your Leg Break, you'll lose the ability to bowl the leg break. Philpott says something along the lines of bowl one googly for every 15 Leg Breaks (Or something like that)?

Try it and see what happens, but always go back to your Leg Break and check that it still happens.

Bloke said

"hi everyone, im new here, was just wondering if i could get help and advice on leg break. im a left arm leg spinner who was initially a batsmen, but started bowling left arm wrist spin about a year ago. im having trouble getting my leg break to turn. i can turn it a bit but the ball is dragged down so it seems as if i just pull the ball down from one side instead of spinning it. what i want is to loop and flight the ball and still achieve a high degree of spin. another problem im having is that i cant get the seam to stay upright and pointing towards the slips. i do have a very sharp googly and great top spinner but whats the use when my stock deliveries the one letting me down..."

Sounds like the dreaded Googly syndrome to me Bill. Have you read the Peter Philpott book The art of wrist spin bowling if not get it from the library or buy a copy and have a read. If you've finished your cricket for the season here's my advice....

1. Don't bowl a single googly now until next spring.
2. Learn to flick the ball from one hand to the other really hard
3. Learn to flick the ball from an arms length back towards your body really hard
4. Get your Top spinner totally sussed so that you can land it on a smallish spot fairly consistently.
5. Then just twist your wrist round a little more so that it imparts the spin in the right direction to get the leg break going again. It should then all come together.
6. Once that's all okay start bowling the leg break with the same action as No.3 and this should give you the big leg break.

have a look at my blog. I talk about the googly syndrome there at length.

Wrist Spin Bowling

thanks a lot for the help guys.
id answer a million questions if you can help me get this right:)
i use the two fingers up - two fingers down grip. my fingers are close together. i try to copy warnes grip as closely as i can. i used to grip the ball quite tight but loosened the grip recently after watching a shane warne coaching video. it great to hear from another left arm leg spinner :) we really are a rare breed. my friends calling me crazy for bowling leg spin when its so much easier for me to bowl orthodox left arm and spin the ball away, but that just doesn't give me satisfaction. id be grateful for any videos that you can send me to help me with my bowling. ill pm you my addy. thanks mate

to dave-
ill be sure to check the book out. i dont think they have it at my local library.ill try WHsmith. i read you blog. it was a great read. really enjoyed reading it. im going through the same 'googly syndrome'. recently ive gotten my leg break back, but its ever so slight. its important for coaches to tell young leg spinners to hold back on the variation until they have the perfect leg break otherwise you may never bowl another leg break again. ill follow the steps that you have advice and ill let you know how it goes. cheers mate

I had the googly problem, could bowl some great leggies but couldnt bowl a wrong un, then suddenly couldnt bowl a leg break so gave up and went to off spin :p

billy_balboa;268632 said:
Hi Billy,
Can u post a bowling video of yours which covers ur bwling arm action and complete delivery stride along with the front leg toe direction.
Try to shoot it from the batsmen end.

Virender

Nice one Bill, glad you like my blog! I'm also at the small Leg Break stage and with the Autumn kicking in now (We had some rain today) and the nights drawing in the chances of getting some good practice on grass are fast disappearing. I'm trying to think of places local to me that are lit well at night where there's wall or a fence to bowl up against so I can keep at it - now I've got it back (albeit a small one) I don't want to lose it. Keep us posted on how you get on and I'll do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back