Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

I've had a good weekend with my practice, the weather here in the UK is still holding out alright and as yet the rain hasn't turned up so the fields are all still relatively dry and bouncy. I tried some weird stuff after reading about Mendis and looking at his weird grip. I gave the knuckle ball a few goes and I reckon that's worth a punt every now and then as it is so different to all the other variations. Also tried the Doosra and that worked okay, but the thing I'm most pleased about is my new found ability to bowl the small leg break. I had a go today combining it with the googly for the first time and I reckon that by the start of next season I should be looking at a vast improvement in my bowling. I'm exceptionally accurate with the new leg break with regards the line, and the length isn't bad either but will improve with time and practice? But this ball combined with the googly looks suddenly as though it does have potential. Have a look at my blog Wrist Spin Bowling for a full report and diagram.

Has anyone come across Terry Jenners blog before? Terry Jenner - "The Spin Doctor"
For the most part it's about his clinics around the world, and his thoughts on happenings in international cricket - but there are a few posts about different parts of the bowling action. Like the role of the front arm - Terry Jenner - "The Spin Doctor": Front Arm and a bit about getting over the front leg - Terry Jenner - "The Spin Doctor": Warne 'uncomplicated'

There are a few other tips in there, and it's well worth a look I think. Has anyone on here ever been to one of the clinics?

thanks for posting that, it got me wondering, i don't use my front arm much either i just feel my bowling arm doing all the work, now i've got something to work on.

The thing about the front arm is that it gives both speed and momentum to the leg-spinner. As your front arm is coming down, to allow your bowling are into full motion, its creating a speed balance between arms, generally the quicker (now I'll be careful here as people are gunna try to go 100MPH by bringing the front arm down quicker) the front arm clears, the quicker the delivery will be. (Keep in mind, natural motions are generally better than "re-built," actions, don't try to be something you're not, I learnt this when I tried to run in too quick when practising seam-up!)

Dave, how's the start of the winter going?

Mines particularly good, had a few in-door games for university, and hit a few runs. Still trying to get into the swing of keeping myself fit. I'd rather just sit at home, beer in one hand, and an Xbox 360 controller in the other! But I can't! So I live with it!

Yeah it's good, you should check out my other blog Wrist Spin Bowling skip the intro and go straight into the diary section. But in a nutshell, the intention was that as of Sept 30th I wouldn't be bowling anymore googly's intentionally and that I'd focus entirely all winter if neccessary on learning the leg break. As it happens a few days before that I was due to play my last match of the season and I didn't get a game, so instead made an early start on trying the leg break. I can't remember exactly what happened but it did coincide with seeing the aforementioned Beau Casson video and I wasn't going anywhere with the leg break and I just thought 'Go back to where I started out when I had no concept of what I was doing or what a googly was and repeat the same thing' because back then I could bowl Leg Breaks! So I resorted to starting off with bowling straight balls - anything as long as when they bounced they didn't become a googly. I threw a handful of balls and they all ended up being Leg Breaks! It seems if I try and bowl a straight ball using the 2 up 2 down grip and NOT try and spin it I bowl a Leg Break ball! So I'm well chuffed. All I'm trying to do for the forseeable future is bowl these 'Straight balls' so that they feel like my natural bowling action, because having bowled googly's for the last year and half it's that action that feels right and anything else feels wrong.

If I get that fully sussed I'll then try and put more spin on the ball. The really frustrating thing is that from a standing position I can bowl massively spinning Leg Breaks, but as soon as I start to put that into practice with a run up it all goes a bit 'Pete Tong'.

My last practice session see - Wrist Spin Bowling: 400 posts! was exceptionally good as I had good line and length, much more increased speed and this is with the new leg break, but then I treated myself to bowling the googly's and man it all came together like a dream. My flippers are good as well, so the progress in just a month has been phenomenal and I reckon my bowling in comparison to where it was at this time last year has improved exponentially!

I'm also keeping a good practice regime. I have Monday night, wednesday night for 1/2 hours sessions spot bowling the Leg Breaks and then Saturday and Sunday I've been getting in about an hour - hour and half each day bowling with stumps on grass still, so that's good. With regards training I made a start, but I'm content at the moment with the bowling as I go at it full on using 6 balls on concrete or at least 12 on the grass, so I'm constantly moving and bowling and work up a sweat. So I'm doing the David Hinchliffe cricket specific stuff. But I would like to do more exercises but I'm knackered from work and being as old as I am I just can't be that bothered at the moment.

Old Matey Boy "Spin King" asked this elsewhere - My wrongun seems to keep being full and my flipper well is just a 1 in 10 ball.

How can I Improve these aspects of my game?

Gundalf said - "if your wrong'un is too full try releasing it a bit later or to increase accuracy keep your thumb on the seam as well.
The flipper just needs lots of practice as its just hard to bowl.
On the whole to improve just practice".

And I said " 1. You're in the wrong thread - you should be posting this in the wrist spin thread.
2. How's your Leg Break - I'm more concerned about this than your other variations.
3. With the Wrong One, have you tried slowing it down and spot bowling, but giving it more spin emphasis?
4. How often do you practice and how long for?
5. How do you practice - is it on your own or against a bat?
6. What do you mean your flipper is a one in ten ball"?

Anyone else have any more answers or advice for him?

Dave, Its good to hear you're working on your leg-break. Could maybe a few wieghts help you? Make your bowling arm stronger, and hopefully much more flexible to the need of leg-spinning.

I'm not sure why you revery back to the googly all the time, but maybe the leg-break as a weapon might be a bit too difficult. I see the winter as a brilliant time for Cricketers, its where you can get yourself on tarmac, or tennis courts or anythings, and spin a ball miles to make you feel good!!

Just don't be put off by the early darkness, still try to get out there!

Yeah I've got to admit the fitness regime has gone to pot a bit, but I've got more or less 9 days off now so I might make a start on it again. No problems with bowling in the dark, there's several places I can use and I'll be there once the grass gets too wet, there's also a council artificial wicket I can use which is good because it's so difficult to get the ball to spin on it and it's good for a reality check before the season comes round as it responds pretty much in the same way as our club wicket does.

Wrist spin grips.

I've made a start on the exercise regime again and I'm currently looking at the affect of grips on the ball and how that affects my potential to spin the ball. I had a practice yesterday before the rain came and discovered that moving my fingers around a bit had some impact on the spin. Unfortunately it was right at the end of the session and therefore I couldn't explore it more, but I've made copious notes on the matter in my blog and produced some images in conjunction with the theory.

Have a look - Wrist Spin Bowling: Wrist Spin Grips

looks interesting in the blog of those grips dave, experimenting is good fun and keeps the enthusiasm up especially at this time of year. I've been having a few grip problems myself with the ball slipping a bit though that is hopefully solved now(see my blog)

I bowl for the first time in a game this season this week. Really looking forward to it and I'm hoping I can take a few wickets. I'll keep you posted on what happens.

Spin Bowling is always about ripping (spinning) the ball as much as poosible. When i bowled spin i got taught to spin the ball as much as possible and then you gotta place it in the right spot. If you spin the ball as much as possible it will cause the batsmen to think about where you are going to put it so if you keeping practising and practising you will eventually get that breakthrough. Also i would try and bowl to the better spin playing batter in your team so that you can practice bowling at a good spin playing batter so you can try new things and if you get tonked you just have to keep trying.

Cheers
Porka

someblokecalleddave;276179 said:
Go for it sean! Have you been practicing in the off season - I take it your in Australia or somewhere?
I've been bowling 2 competitive overs a week during the off season in indoor cricket.

I've been landing them okay at training, according to my teammates, I'm pretty hard to face.

I got 12 wickets last season, so I'll be hoping to better that. I'm in Melbourne, Australia mate. I was posting in the old leg spin thread if you remember.

I have a question though, our captain only got skipper to get him more involved in the game, so do you know of many fields I could use as a spinner?

How's this? Slip, gully, wide mid off to try and cover that gap (While still leaving them enough of a gap to try and get them to play it into the leg side.
The guy in close on the offside for the mistimed drive.

What do you think?

Legspinfield.jpg

Porka;276583 said:
Spin Bowling is always about ripping (spinning) the ball as much as poosible. When i bowled spin i got taught to spin the ball as much as possible and then you gotta place it in the right spot. If you spin the ball as much as possible it will cause the batsmen to think about where you are going to put it so if you keeping practising and practising you will eventually get that breakthrough. Also i would try and bowl to the better spin playing batter in your team so that you can practice bowling at a good spin playing batter so you can try new things and if you get tonked you just have to keep trying.

Cheers
Porka

No it's not. You can have the big spinner as your stock ball, or you can have it as the shock ball. If you have it as the stock ball you can use other variations like not spinnings it as much by bowling a flatter delivery, or simply not trying to fizz it out of the hand as much.

Sean said - "I have a question though, our captain only got skipper to get him more involved in the game, so do you know of many fields I could use as a spinner?

How's this? Slip, gully, wide mid off to try and cover that gap (While still leaving them enough of a gap to try and get them to play it into the leg side.
The guy in close on the offside for the mistimed drive.

What do you think"?

Sean I'll have to go away and knock up some diagrams, but I know my captain who's a wrist spinner himself and a lot better than me sets fields in accordance to what your strengths are. You probably know that last season my stock ball was the wrong un so all my fielding set ups were primarily strong on the off-side as 99% of the balls went down that way. Looking at your diagram that's pretty much a standard leg spinners field straight out of the Peter Philpott book so is pretty spot on I reckon? That's pretty much the set up I use with my sons and their mates and it works pretty well - although looking at it I'm not sure whether I copied it or it's just come about through common sense placing of the fielders - which if it's the case (Which I think it is) I must be learning this stuff! I've just got figure out now how to paste a picture into the post....

Later.....

I still can't figure how to post images into these pages but in the meantime I've come across this on the pitchvision website run by David Hinchcliffe which looks pretty useful...

http://www.pitchvision.com//field-placings-for-spinners/

Sean;276745 said:
No it's not. You can have the big spinner as your stock ball, or you can have it as the shock ball. If you have it as the stock ball you can use other variations like not spinnings it as much by bowling a flatter delivery, or simply not trying to fizz it out of the hand as much.

But the more that you spin the ball the more chance you have of getting a wicket, well thats my opinion, if you spin the ball as much as possible it gives you more of a chance for getting an edge or even bowling the batsman. As Terry Jenner has said that you should try and rip the ball as much as possible and to practice, practice, practice

If you dont try to spin the ball as hard as you can you'll find you dont twist through the crease and your accuracy will take a hit. If you dont want a ball to spin, bowl a topspinner or flipper.

Porka;276905 said:
But the more that you spin the ball the more chance you have of getting a wicket, well thats my opinion, if you spin the ball as much as possible it gives you more of a chance for getting an edge or even bowling the batsman. As Terry Jenner has said that you should try and rip the ball as much as possible and to practice, practice, practice
That's certainly one way of doing it. IMO spin bowling is all about deception, so you can lure the batsman into thinking it will spin big and then change it; or the opposite - whatever you're comfortable doing, as long as it works.

JRod on CWB had a good post on the differences between Warne (Big turn) and Mushtaq Ahmed (more subtle) which I think is relevant here - cricket with balls - has never molested a pregnant wag: Goodbye Mushie

And a bit here too:
cricket with balls - has never molested a pregnant wag: Mushie's history on the balls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back