Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

Very interesting and inciteful posts and videos. I bowl with a front on action as this is what I have always found most natural. Are most of the legspinners here side on?
It seems to me that leg spinners that have made it to first class level have a side on action - are there any that are the exception?

gatorlad;323799 said:
I disagree strongly with the bolded part.

And as for the straight line part, I fail to see the benefit ?

Obviously there shouldn't be a right angle style follow through, but some element of a fade off the pitch is the dogma that I've always been fed!

Yeah. I think the logic behind his theory is - the over-rotation indicates that some of the energy is wasted as it's rotational rather than forward moving towards the bat. He hasn't said this in as many words, but what's been implied is that the forward motion is a combination of the body going forward and maintaining a straight line and the rotation of the shoulders.

In support of his theory is the coaching practice as indicated in the David Freedman/Beau Casson clips. There's an on-line intro to their website Cricket Coaching Online - Example Lesson if you look at the finger spin tutorial they deal with this point, but looking at it again the bloke himself has a rotation that is pretty much equivalent to mine, but then this is finger spin and not wrist spin - whether that has any baring on the matter I don't know? But then look at the David Freedman clip and you'll see Beau Casson bowling and holding a pretty good straight line.

I think the 'Party Line' as such is that you're keeping everything down the line and straight at the stumps?

Anyway I'm more interested in other aspects like driving the leg over and through and bringing that arm down with more power.

dodgylegspinner;323941 said:
Very interesting and inciteful posts and videos. I bowl with a front on action as this is what I have always found most natural. Are most of the legspinners here side on?
It seems to me that leg spinners that have made it to first class level have a side on action - are there any that are the exception?

I think we're all pretty much side on here and I don't know enough about other wrist spinners to tell you who bowls with a front on action.

I've just update my own blog with an entry listing all my favourite wrist spin/spin website links (see www.mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com) and I thought I'd bung em all in here as well. If you know of any others that you've come across let me know so that I can add them to my list.

After finding yesterdays interesting website I thought it'd be a good idea to compile a list of my favourite websites that relate to Spin bowling.

This is a website that's offering on-line coaching, but if you click on the images on the right hand side of the home page, there's some useful clips. Cricket Coaching Online - HOME

This website is an example of the on-line coaching available through wattacoach - it's a you tube clip featuring Australia's Beau Casson and I reckon this is one of the most useful resources for wrist spinners on the internet YouTube - David Freedman legspin coaching video

This is probably the most popular one - Shane Warne with Mark Richards at Perth. Although this is pretty good I reckon the following 3 kind of obssess too much about the variations and can serve to do more damage to Wrist Spinners that are trying to learn the art YouTube - Shane Warne

Similarly Terry Jenner demonstrating Leg Spin basics on the BBC website here seen on youtube. This is possibly the better of the two YouTube - Cricket: How to bowl leg-spin like Shane Warne

The second Terry Jenner Wrist Spin clip again from the BBC website. This one deals with the variations in more depth. YouTube - Cricket: Shane Warne's five spin deliveries.

This is the first of the 2 cloverdale clips. I like this one because it features someone other than Warne, there's loads of clips of Stuart McGill who has a very different style to Warne. YouTube - Cloverdale Cricket Masterclass Spin Bowling tips 1

This is the 2nd of the Cloverdale and deals with Offspin primarily but it's still interesting YouTube - Cloverdale Cricket Masterclass spin bowling tips 2

Another Off Spin - Mark Richards again, this time with Muttiah Mularitharan YouTube - Understanding Muttiah 'Murali' Muralitharan

This one with footage of Warne in slow motion so that you can see how the ball comes from his hand YouTube - if u r a cricket lover u'll have tears seein this

Same thing with Murali YouTube - Muttiah Muralitharan | Super slow motion footage

And of course this Old Skool stuff including the Iverson/Gleeson techniques Google Image Result for http://www.planetnz.com/palmheads/images/grips2_2.jpg

I've just update my own blog with an entry listing all my favourite wrist spin/spin website links (see Wrist Spin Bowling) and I thought I'd bung em all in here as well. If you know of any others that you've come across let me know so that I can add them to my list.

After finding yesterdays interesting website I thought it'd be a good idea to compile a list of my favourite websites that relate to Spin bowling.

This is a website that's offering on-line coaching, but if you click on the images on the right hand side of the home page, there's some useful clips. Cricket Coaching Online - HOME

This website is an example of the on-line coaching available through wattacoach - it's a you tube clip featuring Australia's Beau Casson and I reckon this is one of the most useful resources for wrist spinners on the internet YouTube - David Freedman legspin coaching video

This is probably the most popular one - Shane Warne with Mark Richards at Perth. Although this is pretty good I reckon the following 3 kind of obssess too much about the variations and can serve to do more damage to Wrist Spinners that are trying to learn the art YouTube - Shane Warne

Similarly Terry Jenner demonstrating Leg Spin basics on the BBC website here seen on youtube. This is possibly the better of the two YouTube - Cricket: How to bowl leg-spin like Shane Warne

The second Terry Jenner Wrist Spin clip again from the BBC website. This one deals with the variations in more depth. YouTube - Cricket: Shane Warne's five spin deliveries.

This is the first of the 2 cloverdale clips. I like this one because it features someone other than Warne, there's loads of clips of Stuart McGill who has a very different style to Warne. YouTube - Cloverdale Cricket Masterclass Spin Bowling tips 1

This is the 2nd of the Cloverdale and deals with Offspin primarily but it's still interesting YouTube - Cloverdale Cricket Masterclass spin bowling tips 2

Another Off Spin - Mark Richards again, this time with Muttiah Mularitharan YouTube - Understanding Muttiah 'Murali' Muralitharan

This one with footage of Warne in slow motion so that you can see how the ball comes from his hand YouTube - if u r a cricket lover u'll have tears seein this

Same thing with Murali YouTube - Muttiah Muralitharan | Super slow motion footage

And of course this Old Skool stuff including the Iverson/Gleeson techniques Google Image Result for http://www.planetnz.com/palmheads/images/grips2_2.jpg

someblokecalleddave;323542 said:
Cheers for the comments and I'd appreciate it if you would clarify the point regarding kick your arse!!!

I just gave it a dry run without a ball, and I think I understand what he means.

During the release and pivot, when you swing your right leg round, try and kick your right bum cheek. It seems to force you bowl "up and over the shoulders", rather than with the lower back. I would be careful though because in my dry run it caused my pivot to become a bit shallow: it wasn't 180 degrees, probably because trying to kick my bum caused my leg to go straight up and down, which affected my rotation.

I think it is an execllent piece of advice to get you to bowl "up and over the shoulders"; just be careful you remember to rotate fully as well.

Good morning/afternoon/evening all. It's been a long while since I've ventured through these doors - in fact, I don't think I've been here since the move to bigcricket!

Anyway, I'll save the details of why for my blog, as I just wanted to comment on your avatar, Dave - your 'gipper' - am I correct in remembering that you bowl it with the 'finger-snapping' action of the flipper, but for you it deviates quite strongly away from off-stump for a right-hander, much like a normal leg-break?
I only ask because I have a very similar-looking delivery, but mine deviates the other way - very sharply towards leg stump, much like a googly. I'm interested whether it's simply the difference in our techniques that is resulting in such different results from a similar delivery.

The best Legspinner at our club, the Gipper is almost like an Offie's doosra I've invented.

nightvision it isn't a difference in grip or technique, rather wrist position. If you hold the ball directly in front of you and perform the flipper technique you would get a sharp spinning off break, if you release it from a googly position, eg from the back of the hand it will spin sharply like a leg break like dave's gipper and of course the standard top spinner wrist position gives the standard flipper

i was bowling in the nets today, and as i been playing around with the gleeson technique i thought i would try it in the nets and i can bowl it very well.
Once you get your head round it its not overly difficult to bowl.
im having fun using it as batsmen find it so hard to pick its variations and dont know which way the balls going to turn.
i still think the normal leg spin is bettr as you get more drift, spin etc.
But Dave maybe googly bowlers lyk urself could use the gleeson method/carrom ball to bowl a leg break lyk delievery.
ill try video it next time im down the nets.

Nightvision;325886 said:
I just wanted to comment on your avatar, Dave - your 'gipper' - am I correct in remembering that you bowl it with the 'finger-snapping' action of the flipper, but for you it deviates quite strongly away from off-stump for a right-hander, much like a normal leg-break?
I only ask because I have a very similar-looking delivery, but mine deviates the other way - very sharply towards leg stump, much like a googly. I'm interested whether it's simply the difference in our techniques that is resulting in such different results from a similar delivery.

Yep you're right -my gipper (See YouTube - The Gipper Wrist Spin Bowling ) is clicked out of the fingers like a flipper but with the wrist and arm twisted right round like a wrong un. The affect when it works well is that it acts like a Leg Break. Are you left handed?

gundalf7;325948 said:
nightvision it isn't a difference in grip or technique, rather wrist position. If you hold the ball directly in front of you and perform the flipper technique you would get a sharp spinning off break, if you release it from a googly position, eg from the back of the hand it will spin sharply like a leg break like dave's gipper and of course the standard top spinner wrist position gives the standard flipper

Yep you're dead right it's the old 'Round the clock theory' a la' Peter Philpott. But the delivery you're talking about here means that as you release the ball you've turned the wrist 90 degrees clockwise so that the palm of the hand faces the bat as you release it 'Flipper style' I've given this a little time mucking around with it but it's difficult and I simply don't have enough time to develop it as another variation on top of all the others I've got. But yeah you're right it spins towards leg like an off break but possibly looks like a Leg Break coming at you from the hand?

leggielaw;326035 said:
i was bowling in the nets today, and as i been playing around with the gleeson technique i thought i would try it in the nets and i can bowl it very well.
Once you get your head round it its not overly difficult to bowl.
im having fun using it as batsmen find it so hard to pick its variations and dont know which way the balls going to turn.
i still think the normal leg spin is bettr as you get more drift, spin etc.
But Dave maybe googly bowlers lyk urself could use the gleeson method/carrom ball to bowl a leg break lyk delievery.
ill try video it next time im down the nets.

leggielaw I bowl with a very iversonesqe grip on the ball and I would actually disagree, I firmly believe that you can get more spin using your middle finger for a leg break. What I think though is that rather than bowl it with a standard leg break release you release the leg break over the top of the hand this allows you to still get drift and especially drop even from a high arm action which also makes a large googly easy to bowl and very hard to pick.

gundalf7;326055 said:
leggielaw I bowl with a very iversonesqe grip on the ball and I would actually disagree, I firmly believe that you can get more spin using your middle finger for a leg break. What I think though is that rather than bowl it with a standard leg break release you release the leg break over the top of the hand this allows you to still get drift and especially drop even from a high arm action which also makes a large googly easy to bowl and very hard to pick.

cheers for the advice i will try it next time i go to the nets. And by me saying i believe a normal 3rd finger gets more spin is just from my personal experience and didnt mean tht it is always bettr to spin with the 3rd finger.
i also have one thing to ask i bowl the gleeson method not using any of my wrist just my fingers, do you use ur wrist and fingers?

Hmm this is weird, when Im bowling wristy off spin, I have a delivery, clicked out of the fingers, like a flipper, but it turns massively like a leg break. It is hard to do with out chucking, and the people I have gotten it right to, say that they could not tell it from a normal off break.

Any thoughts on what this may be?

Are you bowling like Murali when you do this? Because if you're bowling like Murali with the arm and wrist turning from the inside rather than out it means as the arm comes over the back of your hand is facing the bat. If you then click your fingers in the Flipper technique while your wrist is still cocked the ball spins massively towards off like a big leg break. Try it standing still - if you've never done this you'll be amazed at how much turn you get on it.

someblokecalleddave;326499 said:
Are you bowling like Murali when you do this? Because if you're bowling like Murali with the arm and wrist turning from the inside rather than out it means as the arm comes over the back of your hand is facing the bat. If you then click your fingers in the Flipper technique while your wrist is still cocked the ball spins massively towards off like a big leg break. Try it standing still - if you've never done this you'll be amazed at how much turn you get on it.

Yepp thats it, its amazing.

Again this is something I've looked at a bit and tried mucking about with and it's definitely got potential, but every time I do it my kids say 'Oh Dad - you're chucking it again like that bloke Muralitharan'. But more to the point I find it stresses my shoulder especially if I try and do the Flipper click to get the Leg Break affect. If I bowl it normal it works as a good fast off-break ball, much faster than my wrong un. But it just means if I was to pursue it, it's another variation to work on and perfect. Maybe if I was 16 I'd feel I'd have time but being as old as I am I'd just like to bowl good leg breaks before I can't play anymore!

Breeno if you can do this I'd love to see it in action. If I remember I might shoot a clip of it being done out of the hand standing as an illustrative example.

Here you go try this - I just knocked up a video quickly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXSE2wWUVnc

I think if I spent a bit of time at it I might get it fairly well, but I'm sure I'd be throwing it as well, but in the past it has felt right and some video clips I've done of it before with very little practice didn't look too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back