Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

when I first bowled it regularly it was with basically with a cross seam seamers grip which caused the problems. I bowl it slightly differently now with the thumb not as far back on the ball and my 3rd finger on the ball and the ball comes out with alot less spin on and at the moment it hasn't caused me too many problems but i'm not bowling it regularly at all.

macca;346857 said:
Dave it is only early in the season so I wouldn't worry too much about non-selction, but what if it turns out they dont appreciate leg spin in your team but someone else will give you a game every week, would you change clubs?

In the age group your boys will be playing, what sort of pitches do they play on? What size, 18 yards? There never seems to be a lot of justice at that age in that good bowling isn't always rewarded, and poor catching and keeping can rob the young bowler of many wickets.

I remember reading in an article by Stuart Mc Gill where he said to expect a young legspinner, if he is spinning the ball ,to get lots of wickets in the early years but the wickets will tend to dry up as he gets into his teen years.

In relation to flighting the ball, another instance where you might not want to is on a wicket where not even the legspinner can get any turn, on that giving the ball too much loop could be a disaster. The big leg-break with some backspin will spin on just about anything, but a well rolled, or glassy, evenly grassed, hard deck even blunted Warnes spin sometimes.

Yeah probably I don't want to spend all these hours of practice and for it not to come to anything, a couple of blokes I bowled against on Wednesday night and cleaned em up reckoned that the team my kids play for would have me. They also said that if I turned up at the local pitch this Sunday another team that plays at the ground are often scratching around for players and they said they'd probably give me a game if I don't get a game this Sunday. I've sent my captain 2 text's today and I still haven't got an answer.

They're proper grass wickets and they'd mark it out for 17 yards I reckon. With regards Joe's bowling yeah a lot of his wickets go amiss because 50% of them should go to catches and they're invariably dropped, but he's okay with that, he doesn't get to stressed by the dropped chances but it is gutting to watch the dollies go down.

La Gecko was asking questions and making some point regarding The Flipper over in a seperate thread so I've brought it over here so we can all mull over it and disperse our collective wisdom

La Gecko said 'Hey guys, I've think i've figured out how to snap my fingers in order to bowl the flipper. The problem I am having is the positioning of my wrist. I'm assuming the position is similar to the top spinner with the thumb pointing towards the batter but unlike the top spinner i don't really roll by wrist forward in a leg spin manner... but more in an off spin manner :S. Please someone help me with this I would really like to practice this

Thanks in advance '

EOW said -

Well I'm not really the person to help you with this, as I don't bowl a flipper. But I will say this: it would be impossible to bowl a flipper with the leg-break wrist action that pushes forwards; the clicking action of the fingers turns your wrist backwards.

Ah... EOW's point is not entirely true. You can bowl a Flipper with a forward facing hand (Palm facing the bat) employing the 'Round the loop' theory a la' Philpott. It's not something I do, but I have investigated it and if you bowl the flipper you'll understand that what it does in theory is produce an Off- break ball and in practice this is exactly what happens, but it's not an easy delivery. Take a step further and twist the wrist round the loop another 45 degrees and you've got a Flipper that you flick backwards as you push your arm and throw the ball forwards and this gives you a top-spinner. I've had more success with this, but it caused me some pain and the potential for injury.

In answer to La gecko's point - The Flipper comes out of the bottom of the hand and not the top, driven primarily by the thumb. I don't quite get what you're doing, but I would say you need to describe the off-spinners action in more detail?

With regards to the Flipper with the drift/swing I shot some footage from the bowlers end at the height of the stumps and it hasn't worked. The ball doesn't appear in the frame until the last few yards so any impression of it having deviated off it's initial line is lost. So it's back to the drawing board with that. I'll either have to go for the potentially camera killing stump cam approach or as I said last night from behind me and from a high viewpoint. I'd have done that but I had to use a field I wasn't happy about setting the camera up on as there loads of Chav's around.

With regards the length a bloke once showed me the length should be dictated by standing with your back foot on the crease and then reaching out with a bat making an arc. He said to bowl right onto the line that the arc would create. In matches we're encouraged to pitch it further, but again it depends on what you're bowling, best thing is to vary the length but keep a good line and that comes down to practice and more practice and then some more.

Update; I've not been selected again, so that's another cricketless weekend. I wonder if there's such a thing as a register for mercenary cricketers or cricket freelancers as such.

Have bat will travel kind of thing?

I think EOW is right in that it wouldn't be a flipper, the ball would be an off break if he tried the flipper with a leg break action, if you try it with an offspinners action it tends towards that topspinning mystery ball of Grimmetts .I think la Gecko needs to explain it a bit better. He may be bowling the topspinning "flipper" ,Dave?

someblokecalleddave;346914 said:
best thing is to vary the length but keep a good line

Yes, that is why we make our targets relatively long and narrow corridors. We only bowl 4 or 5 overs per target session but we try and concentrate and evaluate each ball, line and length first, than spin, etc.

I watch from the keepers position exactly where each ball has landed in relation to the target and then we will discuss this point.

Then I might bat against him with the chalked targets still in place and discuss each ball after it is bowled. I might make up a scenario where I will bat say left-handed and anchored to my crease and he has to come up with a plan to bowl to me.

Grimmett thought organised team net sessions were a bit of a con run by batsmen, but he said to use the sessions as training to try and plan batsmens downfalls, and if one plan works and you get a wicket , try another plan. He was very reticent to bowl in nets at his team mates in the Australian side as he knew the more they faced him, the better they would play him when they met again in interstate games.

Yeah I'm not sure. As I said if it's just a case of his hand being rotated 45 degrees round clockwise (Right handed - I seem to recall is La Gecko might a Chinaman in which case all this is in reverse) he'll be putting off-spin on it. I'll have to check back through the thread to see if he is a China man otherwise this is going to get confusing.....

Yeah nets can be disheartening for that reason, the more you bowl against your team mates the more they're able to counter your bowling, especially if you're new and you're not sure of the different approaches you can take with your bowling to maximise your bowling potential. On the other hand if you can stay positive it then becomes far more tactical and it's like a game of chess albeit spoiled by the fact that you have to wait your turn so some of the intensity and pressure that you maybe trying to build gets lost in the queue.

Yes he is so....Blimey this is going to strain my brain!!! Right if you have your left arm come over with the palm of your hand facing the bat and then produce the Flipper click the ball with spin away to the off-side like a RH Wrist Spinners Leg Break. In order to get that Top-Spinning mystery ball his hand would have to rotate another 45 degrees anti-clockwise so that the Flipper click would be pushing the ball out of the bottom of his hand back towards himself, but obviously be propelled forwards by the overall bowling action. The ball would then be a Top-spinning Flipper (Grimmetts mystery ball).

Sorted.

someblokecalleddave;346921 said:
On the other hand if you can stay positive it then becomes far more tactical and it's like a game of chess
Grimmett was compared to a chess player or a billiards player in that his plans were long term and his traps often took some time to set.

When he was playing for S.A against Jardines Englishmen as Hammond came out to bat he nominated to his team mates the fourth ball of his fifth over as when he would dismiss the great batsman. He kept Hammond pinned down by firing in at his legs for five overs and on the fourth ball he flighted one up well outside off stump and had Hammond stumped. His captain at the time, Vic Richardson, said after that event everyone was convinced that Grimmett was indeed a genius.

Richardson was also the Australian captain at the time and after the 1930 tour of England said " we could have won the ashes without Bradman but we could not have beaten the blind school without Grimmett "

From my main blog -

"Yeah I'm not really that good facing the faster bowlers, it's spin that I'm good at playing" As he faced another of Jeff's off-spinners despatching the ball with relative ease. Hearing that was music to my ears and eventually the ball was handed to me.....

Get the full account at Wrist Spin Bowling: Now that was good!

In noted that you were surprised that I also had a blog on here as well. Yeah I'm pretty prolific with the writing of all this stuff. Funnily enough the blokes that I had a knock with on Wednesday Wrist Spin Bowling: Now that was good! were talking about cricket on the web and wrist spin bowling and one of them mentioned the pitch vision academy run by David Hinchcliffe and was saying that he'd been reading a load of stuff off the internet about wrist spin bowling off his website. Chances are that may have been a link to my blog! This thread and my blog come up on the 1st 10 searches in Google most of the time if you use wrist spin in your search. I noted that this thread is one of the biggest threads on here as well, but I reckon at some point we'll have covered virtually everything and it'll slow down a bit. We need some fresh input I reckon. Or some strategy where we discuss certain things in a order like they do in magazines and the same subject comes up in a 12 month cycle!

Heh, I think I have been misunderstood. I should have explained myself better.

I wasn't refering to the leg-break wrist position; but the wrist flick itself.

It was in relation to this:
La Gecko said:
...i don't really roll by wrist forward in a leg spin manner... but more in an off spin manner...

In other words I was saying that it would be impossible to bowl a flipper with a leg-break wrist flick, as the clicking your fingers makes your hand turn backwards. Maybe I misunderstood what Le Gecko was saying, but it seemed to me that he was asking for clarification on whether he was getting the clicking of the fingers release action correct.

Saddo, I nearly had the Wings to Fly video on Thursday night. My captain said "Oh **** Dave I've got your video at home - I stuck it on the side so I wouldn't forget it and I've just walked straight past it and left it there". So it's here, it's just a case of getting my hands on it.

La Gecko, what is your thumb doing immediately after you release the ball, which way is it facing and pointing?

Fresh input is always welcome, it was good to hear from the lefty el Gecko.
I suppose we keep going over a lot of the same ground. The whole subject is on one hand complex and complicated but can be kept simple and should be especially around game time.

Coaches should keep a lot of the complexity in their own heads and try and convey how basic a lot of it is to their students by simplifying it as much as possible, especially in the preteen years.

I reckon Warne was the greatest example of keeping it simple we will ever see. But he still was a student of the game and the first thing he would ask a Bradman era player he met was " how did Clarrie grip the ball for his flipper and what tactics did he employ?" my estimation of Warne as a thinker on the game went way up after reading that.

macca;346583 said:
La Gecko, what is your thumb doing immediately after you release the ball, which way is it facing and pointing?

It ends up resting upon my index finger, similar if not the same as when clicking your fingers.

i am a right arm leg spinner
one of my development coaches gave my some advice
he said that at the moment my palm or face of hand is facing the wrong way during end of delivery
he wants me to face it more straight down the wicket so i get more spin

Ok everyone seems to be a bit confused what I'm talking about as I wasn't too clear, so I'll try and make it clearer now.

If I were to stand up and place my left arm (bowling arm) straight up with my palm facing the batsman and were to attempt the flipper from that position with just use of the fingers the ball would end up spinning away from the right hand batsman like an off break. As such that position of the wrist facing forwards would not create the flipper back spinning effect. So I am assuming that I must rotate my arm to the left 90 degrees so the back of my hand is facing me and the palm is facing out like the top spinner as to have the ball spinning backwards when doing the flipper.

I would just like to confirm my assumption...

shuey_cricket;346940 said:
i am a right arm leg spinner
one of my development coaches gave my some advice
he said that at the moment my palm or face of hand is facing the wrong way during end of delivery
he wants me to face it more straight down the wicket so i get more spin
Listen to your coach , you are lucky to have one. When my 11 year old starts doing what it sounds like your doing I have to get him to bowl against a wall for a while and really exaggerate that palm facing the batsman for the leg break. I get him to freeze in that position with his right hand as he catches the ball off the wall with his left hand.

We had a bowl this morning, bowling into a breeze from fine leg he was getting drift into the wind with an indoor ball, I dont know how that works. The ball is old but the seam is still high.

We only bowled 4 overs but he finished up with this palm ball he got shown and it really has potential as a simple variation. It behaved different from everything else he bowled and hit the stumps. It seemed to come at a different angle of flight with a scrambled slow spinning seam, no turn, but from where I was behind the stumps it looked a lot like his legbreak until it pitched and came straight on at an angle from just outside off. He only bowled 2 the second one behaved exactly the same.

Yeah I misunderstood.

I think your assumption is correct; but I'm not exactly the most knowledge able on the flipper.

I can't see any way else you would do it though, so I think it is correct.

macca;346929 said:
I reckon Warne was the greatest example of keeping it simple we will ever see. But he still was a student of the game and the first thing he would ask a Bradman era player he met was " how did Clarrie grip the ball for his flipper and what tactics did he employ?" my estimation of Warne as a thinker on the game went way up after reading that.

In his video with mark Nicholas, warne states that the important thing is to make the batsman play the stroke you want him to. Not to land the ball on a particular spot. Besides being great in terms of spin, line and length, I still think he hot massive amounts of wickets by bullying and psychologically dominating batsmen and umpires. He had the personality to do it. Had MacGill had more of that personality I think he would have been more successful. I think he could spin the ball as much as or possibly even more than warne, but in view of his personality did not have that aura around him. The feeling is when batsmen came in they felt they were doomed... it was a question in their minds of how long they would survived, so their attitude would already be negative, they would have lost before they started.

On the topic of working the batsman out, in the book there is a chapter of how to bowl to batsmen that have different charecteristics, which is very good. I would use it, but first I have to get the legbreak working consistently on the right line and length. I should be there before my pension arrives!

La Gecko;346607 said:
Ok everyone seems to be a bit confused what I'm talking about as I wasn't too clear, so I'll try and make it clearer now.

'If I were to stand up and place my left arm (bowling arm) straight up with my palm facing the batsman and were to attempt the flipper from that position with just use of the fingers the ball would end up spinning away from the right hand batsman like an off break'.

Yep that sounds right.

'As such that position of the wrist facing forwards would not create the flipper back spinning effect'.

Yep, that's correct.

'So I am assuming that I must rotate my arm to the left 90 degrees so the back of my hand is facing me and the palm is facing out like the top spinner as to have the ball spinning backwards when doing the flipper'.

When you say your palm is facing out you mean - to the left with your thumb facing forwards. If so that it!

I would just like to confirm my assumption...

Yep that sounds like the boy!

macca;346919 said:
Grimmett thought organised team net sessions were a bit of a con run by batsmen, but he said to use the sessions as training to try and plan batsmens downfalls, and if one plan works and you get a wicket , try another plan. He was very reticent to bowl in nets at his team mates in the Australian side as he knew the more they faced him, the better they would play him when they met again in interstate games.

The same with Iverson. His club captain used to avoid him bowling to the aussie national side players in the nets, as he was afraid they would work him out, especially as he was very naive in the cricketing sense, with little variations. A spinner cannot bully the batsman with pace, he cannot frighten him with physical injury, but certainly can play on his overconfidence and out fox him. That seems to have always been the way with spinners

Grimmett says "the palm should be facing mid-on at the top of the swing" in his brief description of the flipper. I suppose it does at the "top". La Geckos' thumb ends up against his index finger , which is right, I just wanted to make sure his thumb ended up in that thumbs down position,sort of like the ancient Romans at the coliseum, and not some way else.

Meh. My CPU went down. Sorry I didn't answer earlier. How did I sort it out? Good question. I'm not sure I'm doing anything differently. I know I just spun it hand-to-hand for two days, and then went and bowled at my tree. Nothing but the leg-break. Palm perpindicular to where I wanted the ball to go. When it landed where I knew the slant of the ground opposed the spin, it carried straight. Somewhere I think is relatively flat let it turn, and where I knew the ground helped the spin, it turned almost ninety degrees.

To prevent it from happening again, I'm considering fingerspinning an off-break instead of a wrong un' for my odd ball. Would that produce the same effect?

This was started off in a new thread so I've brought it over to where it should be....

When I bowl, i feel as if I am giving the ball too much flight, but then I hear people saying that, as a spinner, flight is what you want. But, I still get the feeling that my bowling is too flighted and extremely slow!! Also, my length can sometimes be an issue, I usually bowl it too full and the batsman play that easily. Is that because of my flight?? I know leg spinners are unique in flight, spin, pace etc but I always think that I am just a bowler who flights it a lot!

* I think the first thing is - how long have you been trying to bowl Wrist Spin/Leg Spin?
* Your speed and flight isn't particularly an issue, you can be dead slow and have a loopy flight the key issue is do you get it to spin off the wicket? If can get it to turn off the wicket, you're on your way and a little more understanding off what you're trying to do will help you out a great deal.
* In the short term assuming that you are getting it to turn, it sounds as though maybe you should look to vary your length, line, flight and speed. This alone should make a positive difference.

One more thing-I find it really hard to follow through-the whole rotating the shoulders thing- When I try this, I feel that I am bowling too fast and I usually drag it down and it goes short and is slogged!

I would appreciate a few tips off you more experienced bowlers, to help me tidy up my bowling!

* Can you video your action and upload it to youtube and we'll have a look at it?
* Have you seen the Beau Casson clip on you tube where he demonstrates some drills for this?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Cotton Eye Joe;347020 said:
To prevent it from happening again, I'm considering fingerspinning an off-break instead of a wrong un' for my odd ball. Would that produce the same effect?
It would produce the same effect more or less but is hard to disguise. I saw Warne bowl the odd off-break usually when he was throwing the kitchen sink at the batsmen during a long partnership that was proving impossible to break. Now that you are aware of the wrongun syndrome you can watch out for it coming back.

You can get by without a wrongun , especially early on when you only bowl short spells. You can carve out a career with just a legsinner and topspinner.

We had a good night at indoor cricket last night. The best thing was because of how the net was situated I could get a close-up, side -on view of my sons bowling in match- like conditions.

Normally he only bowls at about 75% in the nets, if that, but last night I was really pleased at the spring and fluency of his run-up. I was worried that the key phrases he uses , "head still" and "watch target" may have been taking a bit of the energy out of his approach, but I was really happy with his run-up and delivery.

Also his faster less flighted ball has improved , before it was too short. His indoor coach is a good legspinner and was showing him a zooter last night. He was also helping him with his backspinner and when to turn his wrist to get it right.

I don't know if it's a temporary abberation or something but as my leg break comes back I seem to be losing the plot with the Wrong Un! I got a game today with a bunch of blokes at the local pitch (SDR), they let me have two overs and I was rubbish. They did tell me what SDR stood for but it was pretty much a joke name they came up with when they started out and now they just call themselves SDR.

The other team I initially approached (The home team) said they'd give me a game next Sunday and the SDR blokes have invited me to their net sessions this Friday, so this has all worked out quite well in the short term.

As a wrist spinner you have to be able to on most occassions really give the ball lots of flight, over the batsmans eyeline, but on other occassions you need to be able dart it in flatter and faster.

It may depend on conditions or the style of batsman. Someone who doesnt come forward and stays back on the crease should recieve their fair share of fuller more flighted deliveries, whereas someone keen to come forward and use their feet and hit through the offside may be contained by flatter darts aimed at middle stump.

They can't judge your bowling after two overs. Is this going to be a regular gig now?

What is the standard like , how does it compare to the other comp?

Good work, the back spinner still elludes me with regards the Slider and I'm not going to even attempt it till I get the Biggun sussed. Sounds like your son's doing really well Macca, hopefully my son Joe will follow the same kind of route. At his club there was a bloke showing some stuff when they did their last training session, he was explaining the grip to him. He took 2 wickets off of 2 overs so that was pretty good.

My lads have got their first real match not this Sunday but the next at a place called Orsett just down the road, I didn't even know there was a pitch there http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=12461359&encType=1 thing is they're so unprepared (The team) and the only practice session they've got would have been this Monday but it's bank holiday, so they'll be straight into the game with only one practice on grass (last week) before the match. Still that's how it'll have to be.

I'm looking at not being selected for the 2nd week running with my own team which is pretty grim. So grim in fact that I'm going to go down to the local field this Sunday where another team play regularly and see if they need any players as the word is they're often short of players. I'm well miffed with the situation with my own team.

No I've paid my membership for my own team and as you've said as the season goes on I might get the call up? It was pretty much the same level I play with the Grays blokes 2nd/3rd XI. It suits me in the short term as it means I'm playing and it'll mean I'll get in the nets again for more practice. So hopefully I'll be able to make a better account of myself with these blokes in the nets and if I get to play with them again I might get more overs? I was surprised that they gave me the two overs in the first place but I was a bit nervous as it was in front of a bunch of blokes I didn't know and it was against the opening partnership who were up in the 100+ runs when I was brought on and very settled.

macca;346840 said:
As a wrist spinner you have to be able to on most occassions really give the ball lots of flight, over the batsmans eyeline, but on other occassions you need to be able dart it in flatter and faster.

It may depend on conditions or the style of batsman. Someone who doesnt come forward and stays back on the crease should recieve their fair share of fuller more flighted deliveries, whereas someone keen to come forward and use their feet and hit through the offside may be contained by flatter darts aimed at middle stump.

I had a good night in the nets last night bowling and batting. But the trickiest customer batting was a kid of about 13. It took a few balls to suss him out as he's a Chinaman and possibly understood what I was trying to do. Initially I was bowling Leg Breaks, wrong uns and Flippers all at a reasonable speed right under his nose and he was dealing with them all with some ease. Then I deployed the Top Spinner a few times and he seemed to see it and realise it was going to drop short and struggle to play it off his legs, so I bowled a mixture of Top Spinners and Wrong Uns dropping them all much shorter and slower and after a few balls he came down the pitch and I got a wrong un past him on about the 4th ball. Maybe at last I'm beginning to deploy tactics and here I am not being selected so far this year!!!

Dave it is only early in the season so I wouldn't worry too much about non-selction, but what if it turns out they dont appreciate leg spin in your team but someone else will give you a game every week, would you change clubs?

In the age group your boys will be playing, what sort of pitches do they play on? What size, 18 yards? There never seems to be a lot of justice at that age in that good bowling isn't always rewarded, and poor catching and keeping can rob the young bowler of many wickets.

I remember reading in an article by Stuart Mc Gill where he said to expect a young legspinner, if he is spinning the ball ,to get lots of wickets in the early years but the wickets will tend to dry up as he gets into his teen years.

In relation to flighting the ball, another instance where you might not want to is on a wicket where not even the legspinner can get any turn, on that giving the ball too much loop could be a disaster. The big leg-break with some backspin will spin on just about anything, but a well rolled, or glassy, evenly grassed, hard deck even blunted Warnes spin sometimes.

macca;347004 said:
We had a bowl this morning, bowling into a breeze from fine leg he was getting drift into the wind with an indoor ball, I dont know how that works. The ball is old but the seam is still high.

We only bowled 4 overs but he finished up with this palm ball he got shown and it really has potential as a simple variation. It behaved different from everything else he bowled and hit the stumps. It seemed to come at a different angle of flight with a scrambled slow spinning seam, no turn, but from where I was behind the stumps it looked a lot like his legbreak until it pitched and came straight on at an angle from just outside off. He only bowled 2 the second one behaved exactly the same.

This sounds like my 'Basic Leg Break' the one without the big flick. It sounds as though Shuey.......... "One of my development coaches gave my some advice, he said that at the moment my palm or face of hand is facing the wrong way during end of delivery. He wants me to face it more straight down the wicket so i get more spin".

Is being advised to do exactly what I do, which is good to hear from my point of view as my Leg break as you know has come about by a lot of trial and error and I'm not 100% whether I'm barking up the wrong tree or not. It'd be good to hear from Shuey as to whether he's aware of the role that his 3rd finger is playing in getting the ball to spin and how concious he is of how the 3rd finger is doing it's job. I'm still mucking about with the grip because slight subtle variations make big differences it seems in how much top spin is imparted. It's interesting that Macca points out that this way of bowling the leg break creates a scrambled seam and not particularly fast revs on the ball because I'm assuming you're not ripping it with a the added wrist flick?

Just thought I'd let you know how I bowled today. We versed the best team in the grade, undefeated for god knows how long. I came in and bowled a fairly good first over and had one of their key batsmen dropped off a an absolute sitter. Next over was worse in the field with two 4's going straight past a fielder and another due to my horrible line and length that ball, I was taken off because of this :(.
I think I need to work on my consistency with the leg break, going from 4 for 13 including a hatrick last week to no wickets this week :(. What's even worse is I got out from one of my mates in the opposing team when batting!

So just wondering what drills you would recommend for working on a consistent line and length.

Originally Posted by macca

It sounds like Warne's slider that he bowls on the Nicholas video. It looks like a leg break but as it is not ripped it goes straight. The batsman plays for turn, but finds it is a straight one. Ouch out lbw. It could also behave like a small backspinner philpott says Holland the leg spinner used to bowl. I think he says it was sort of palmed out of the hand. To me though sounds more like a warne slider( as we discussed earlier, jenner's slider is completely different as it is a backspinner).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back