Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

gundalf7;349134 said:
yeah i had the same feeling that maybe it was border on chucking, thinking about it there is some similarity to murali's off break if you think about it except spun by the thumb rather than the index finger

Yes that is true. In fact I thought the action is like a doosra but it turns the other way. It turns more than my mis guided googly.

someblokecalleddave;349623 So without any prospect of a bowl I can't try EOW's follow through either and I can't find any good footage of others follow through although the Beau Casson clip shows his footwork and so must the BBC/Jenner clip? I'm going to have a look. Just looked at Jenner 2.06; 2.50; 3.00 minutes into the video he's clearly seen from the bats end of the stumps bring his feet round a perfect 180 in line with the direction of flight[/QUOTE said:
Ok thanks. I know they say the bowling shoulder should face the batsman at the end of the delivery, but never really noticed the front leg to the right of the back leg.

gundalf7;349628 said:
yeah i'm not sure if it should be 180 degree rotation or not as some leggies seems to do more.

I had to turn down a uni game today to due to having to work and partially have injured my shoulder, my rotator cuff I think so bowling probablly isn't a good idea anyway.

Too bad there seems to be a curse on the leggies. You two have upper body issues, mine are further south.

It's a difficult thing to film any bowling delivery without the right kind of gear. I reckon I'm probably in a better position than most to do this stuff and I'm quite liking the angle/perspective on todays video clip because the camera is on a big tripod above and behind me and you're able to see the whole of my action including the grip and release almost.

The reason the delivery is slows is that it was done slowly in order that the ball didn't disappear down the road. This was just a test to see if the angle was good and whethet I needed to change the focal length and zoom in slightly to bring the stumps into view/closer so you can see where the ball pitches and whether it spins.

Yeah - loads of people mention my cross over leg to enable me to get side on, I reckon I'm stuck with it for the time being though. The only real criticism is that it slows me down, but I can bowl at 47mph doing it relatively easy.

gundalf7;349628 said:
yeah i'm not sure if it should be 180 degree rotation or not as some leggies seems to do more.

I had to turn down a uni game today to due to having to work and partially have injured my shoulder, my rotator cuff I think so bowling probablly isn't a good idea anyway.

Yeah I would if I was you. You're young so you'll recover pretty fast.

If you're doing the flipper click with this with the wrist turned in I reckon that's a pretty good effort. I'm sure my action isn't going to look half as smooth as yours does and nowhere near as accurate. I reckon you should keep this up and have this as one of your balls.

someblokecalleddave;349633 said:
What's your problem - Knees?

Yep had them for a few months, but still go out for a jog three times a week. But even though it is not fast bowling the pressure on the left knee during the pivot can be quite painful. Well thats old age for you.

someblokecalleddave;349137 said:
It's a difficult thing to film any bowling delivery without the right kind of gear. I reckon I'm probably in a better position than most to do this stuff and I'm quite liking the angle/perspective on todays video clip because the camera is on a big tripod above and behind me and you're able to see the whole of my action including the grip and release almost.

The reason the delivery is slows is that it was done slowly in order that the ball didn't disappear down the road. This was just a test to see if the angle was good and whethet I needed to change the focal length and zoom in slightly to bring the stumps into view/closer so you can see where the ball pitches and whether it spins

Good angle. I have an 8 year old sony camera but seem to have lost the drivers. Tried to get them on line but without success. I also have no idea whether it is compatible with vista. Any ideas Gundalf as you seem to be the computer geek here?

what I mean is if the body is facing that direction the left arm needs to be where the right arm is and vice versa (or the body facing the other direction with arms kept in the same place).

yeah dave the angle looks great it probablly the best you can get, just whetehr you can get the ball in the same pic as well unless you want just the action.

saddo i'd suggest checking the sony website for drivers or if there aren't any maybe you can find some generic drivers, which is probablly unlikely though worth a try, other than that i'm not sure what you could do.

sadspinner;349636 said:

I'll have a look. But I'm not without injury down south either. I jumped off a wall in the garden in Sept last year at the end of the season just a 5' wall and as I did it I was thinking 'This was nothing when I was younger, but I need to be careful here' and still jumped. The impact seemed to be concentrated on the heel of my left foot and it hasn't gone away since. So when I wake up I hobble around like an old dog and it gradually eases up, but if I run I'm aware of it too and it progressively seems to worsen.

Recently at work going up and down the stairs my knees seems to ache and feel stiff. As you say - getting old.

Saddo it's a bit like your avatar - the aspect of the hand as the ball is released would be the same as your avatar but all the fingers would have straightened out just as the ball has left the hand and the hand would then come down and through past the side of the body.

gundalf7;349141 said:
what I mean is if the body is facing that direction the left arm needs to be where the right arm is and vice versa (or the body facing the other direction with arms kept in the same place)

So the batsman would have the view of a karate chop from my right hand if i get it.

someblokecalleddave;349639 said:
I'll have a look. But I'm not without injury down south either. I jumped off a wall in the garden in Sept last year at the end of the season just a 5' wall and as I did it I was thinking 'This was nothing when I was younger, but I need to be careful here' and still jumped. The impact seemed to be concentrated on the heel of my left foot and it hasn't gone away since. So when I wake up I hobble around like an old dog and it gradually eases up, but if I run I'm aware of it too and it progressively seems to worsen.

Recently at work going up and down the stairs my knees seems to ache and feel stiff. As you say - getting old.

Could be plantar fascitis in the heel. Despite our age though we still show some fight.

"yeah i think so"- this is probablly wrong so i'm editing it,

correct bit:
the batsman should only see a sort of karate chop after you have released the ball as you drive your arm through with your finger sticking out like the tea cup analogy it should be your leading arm in a sort of karate chop or stop sign position as it comes over.

someblokecalleddave;349641 said:
Good link, you could spend a few quid there! But a load of them are really cheap!

I think I will gett maccas opinion first as i am sure postage to get it here will be more costly than the book.

sadspinner;349645 said:
This is the one i told you looks like a discus thrower search detail

Yeah I reckon if you freeze my bowling action and it was lower as Grimmetts was it would look similar don't you think? They may have taken each frame singularly as well because of the cameras and film emulsions back in those days, so it would look far more artificial than a frozen in action frame.

someblokecalleddave;349649 said:
Yeah I reckon if you freeze my bowling action and it was lower as Grimmetts was it would look similar don't you think? They may have taken each frame singularly as well because of the cameras and film emulsions back in those days, so it would look far more artificial than a frozen in action frame.

You are the expert, would be interesting if you could 'freeze' your bowling to compare. I am saying this as sometimes when i try this discus like action the seam points towards gully or backward point rather than slips and really spins like a big leg break, ie much more than the small leg breaks that is bowled with a slightly different more upright action. This big turner works one in every 5 or 6 deliveries and is not always on line. I think some spin more when they really hit the seam. So it is a little hit and miss.

someblokecalleddave;349139 said:
If you're doing the flipper click with this with the wrist turned in I reckon that's a pretty good effort. I'm sure my action isn't going to look half as smooth as yours does and nowhere near as accurate. I reckon you should keep this up and have this as one of your balls.

It maybe one I keep with as it does seem to have something different about it. I wasn't that accurate as I had to edit out some really awful ball was landing about 1 in 4 or 5 so i'd guess it would need a bit of practice.

Yeah I'd love to be able to either photograph or even better film someone who could bowl a heap of different variations using a high speed camera. I've potentially got access to one via work, but I don't know anyone I could film!!! The thing I'd like to see is the Leg break variations as they come out of the hand at something like 50 frames per second or faster.

oops saddo i've got it the wrong way round it should be your left arm as the karate chop (or stop signal if you show your palm to the batsman) as thats your leading arm for the leg break.

someblokecalleddave;349657 said:
Yeah I'd love to be able to either photograph or even better film someone who could bowl a heap of different variations using a high speed camera. I've potentially got access to one via work, but I don't know anyone I could film!!! The thing I'd like to see is the Leg break variations as they come out of the hand at something like 50 frames per second or faster.

Yes that would be great. Unfortunately I had asked whether it was possible to play the clips on youtube, but was told it is not possible. It is cool having such a camera but it is the subject you have to shoot which is the problem. You cannot just pick some one from the street to do the job. But those clips on ultraslowmotion with warne flicking up the ball with the ring finger is a beauty.

someblokecalleddave;349119 said:
Here it is have a look - what am I doing wrong - what should be where?

YouTube - rotation analysis 001

Looks okay from front-foot position point of view; your front foot quite clearly lands to the right of your back foot.

sadspinner said:
and your non bowling arm is not tucked close into your ribs. But who am I to comment.

Nice catch sadspinner, now I am no bio-mechanics expert, but I reckon that could be what is causing Dave's slight over-rotation. I just run through my action, albeit slowly, both with the arm tucked in and with the arm hanging out like Dave's, and every time I hung my arm out like Dave I over-rotated slightly. Whereas, when my arm was tucked in I had no over-rotation at all.

Where are they? Or is it the clip with load of others batting and bowling?

I don't think it's impossible, it's just getting access to the appropriate software and a powerful Mac that'll reduce the size of the original files down to something more usable.

The Edge Of Willow;349159 said:
Looks okay from front-foot position point of view; your front foot quite clearly lands to the right of your back foot.

Nice catch sadspinner, now I am no bio-mechanics expert, but I reckon that could be what is causing Dave's slight over-rotation. I just run through my action, albeit slowly, both with the arm tucked in and with the arm hanging out like Dave's, and every time I hung my arm out like Dave I over-rotated slightly. Whereas, when my arm was tucked in I had no over-rotation at all.

I'll have to look at some vids of Jenner, Warne, Casson et and see what they do with their other arm during their delivery.

someblokecalleddave;349659 said:
Where are they? Or is it the clip with load of others batting and bowling?

Yes that is the one with music and all . Really beautiful. Does your camera at work use the same frames per second?

Been a while since I've bowled. But I might try and bowl a couple in the backyard in the next couple of days. I'll see if I can record it so you can see my action.

Yeah it's definitely as good as that frame and quality wise. It's not actually something that is owned by the college, but it belongs to one of the technicians fathers. She had it at work one day filming a sequence for a film they were making and it was pretty amazing. I spoke to her about this a few weeks ago and she was kind of luke warm about the idea, but the issue would be getting someone to bowl so realistically it's never going to happen. It's difficult getting my s**t together to even film myself bowling from hand to hand for my Leg Spin blog!

Blimey just looked at that again and that's 2000 frames per second! I still think the one I've seen is of a similar quality.

Do not seem to have missed much action here. Was thinking about purchasing a book about tich freeman, one by ian peebeles and one by eric hollies. What do you think macca, are they any good/interesting?

Davey boy hope you are getting slowly better. The injuries take some time to heal, you must have patience. In the meantime I am sure you are cosumed by the need to go out and turn your arm. I, myself as you know despite the pain hobble out, as staying in stifles me.

I tried the method you were discussing with EOW, the other day about the left foot being to the right of the right foot. It is true, the pivot and kicking round of the right foot is much better. Good point. Still have to confirm with you tube whether this is obvious in their videos. God this action is so complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back