Zen In The Art Of Archery Pdf

hey, of course Dave. It's a classic book by a German guy who wanted to study zen in Japan in the 1920s and studied under the master archer Awa, who appears to be have been viewed as a maverick. After years of difficult training he becomes a master himself and the story is one not only of him learning how to hit the target but developing a spiritual practice through it. In a sporting sense, you could say that this was training to be 'in the zone' - the almost-mythical place where no conscious effort is applied by the sportsman in his playing, where he simply becomes at one with the game. In a spiritual sense, it is about achieving and demonstrating insight through the archery.

enjoy! it's not a long book

hey, of course Dave. It's a classic book by a German guy who wanted to study zen in Japan in the 1920s and studied under the master archer Awa, who appears to be have been viewed as a maverick. After years of difficult training he becomes a master himself and the story is one not only of him learning how to hit the target but developing a spiritual practice through it. In a sporting sense, you could say that this was training to be 'in the zone' - the almost-mythical place where no conscious effort is applied by the sportsman in his playing, where he simply becomes at one with the game. In a spiritual sense, it is about achieving and demonstrating insight through the archery.

enjoy! it's not a long book
I might give it a go, rather than play Battlefield 3 all night!

I know absolutely nothing about archery, but I did have martial arts training for a few years and I can guarantee that it has a positive effect on your cricket. It does have a Zen-like element to it; well, I think so?
I agree, my brother is a golf coach and he always talks to his students about reaching that point where they are no longer concerned (consciously or sub-consciously) about their swing, club or shot selection as everything will just happen. Same applies for bowling.

This about sums it up :)

Your happy place.

I agree, my brother is a golf coach and he always talks to his students about reaching that point where they are no longer concerned (consciously or sub-consciously) about their swing, club or shot selection as everything will just happen. Same applies for bowling.

This about sums it up :)

Your happy place.
I think prior to my Achilles injury this was where I was with my bowling, I was just approaching the crease and bowling virtually where I wanted with my Leg Break and Top Spinner and taking wickets aplenty. No thoughts on anything else, just ... The balls going there with less spin this time.

I know absolutely nothing about archery, but I did have martial arts training for a few years and I can guarantee that it has a positive effect on your cricket. It does have a Zen-like element to it; well, I think so?
It requires a high degree of discipline, concentration, etc. I couldn't possibly name all of the attributes that are involved/developed in martial arts (although I think it depends on the style you choose)
You also develop good flexibility, strength, swiftness of movement and more power in your wrists. With the style that I chose (Goju Ryu) you learn great breathing methods and tension techniques to help with fitness etc. Of course there is a risk of injury, but at least a fist moving at your head isn't made of leather or moving at 90mph!
There are definite connections between zen and martial arts - the martial arts are generally taught not as a way simply to inflict damage on people but as a spiritual path and the Samurai were particularly into zen if I am correct.

One can also see cricket as a martial art or form of meditation! I don't think there is much to focus the mind like a cricket ball coming straight at your head.

The breathing is interesting. I don't think I've read much about breathing patterns when playing, but I think it would make sense for a bowler to exhale at the point of delivery, while the batsman should exhale while playing a shot. Might be something worth thinking about.

There are definite connections between zen and martial arts - the martial arts are generally taught not as a way simply to inflict damage on people but as a spiritual path and the Samurai were particularly into zen if I am correct.

One can also see cricket as a martial art or form of meditation! I don't think there is much to focus the mind like a cricket ball coming straight at your head.

The breathing is interesting. I don't think I've read much about breathing patterns when playing, but I think it would make sense for a bowler to exhale at the point of delivery, while the batsman should exhale while playing a shot. Might be something worth thinking about.

I'm so zenned out when I bowl, I go into a trance and close my eyes as I go into my bowling action and open them again at some point when the ball is half way down the pitch. Loads of people notice it - wicket keepers mostly. What I should do though is make something of it - perhaps say to the batsmen "Watch my eyes mate, because I'm going to bowl you out with my eyes closed". They might be completely put off by it!!!

Back