2006 Oval Test result 'to be changed'

mas cambios

2006 Oval Test result 'to be changed'

This is a disgrace and makes a mockery of the game. The 2006 Oval test was awarded to England when the Pakistan team refused to come out onto the field after tea after being accused of ball-tampering, now they are going to get away with a draw.

Aggers said:
"Match abandoned, they're saying, as a draw, - well, abandoned on what grounds? It wasn't the weather, it wasn't anything else, it was that Pakistan wouldn't come out to play for whatever reason.

"That game has now been classified as a draw, so if you're losing, you sit in the dressing room, don't come out and you can get away with a draw."

Where will this end?

Re: 2006 Oval Test result 'to be changed'

While it was a farce at the time, this makes it even more so. Shocking decision, obviously power-brokers just looking to cover their backs in the history books.

Seems that way, I just hope that some other team doesn't feel that they now have a get out clause to avoid losing a match.

yeah i read this today too....it's pretty bad. this pretty much sets the precedent that any team who is losing can just boycott play on the fifth day and save the match.... if only india had known this in Sydney - they surely could have refused to play after some very controversial umpiring decisions that went on earlier. could have changed the course of the series!

The way world cricket works, there is probably some behind the scene dealings going on. 'You give us this and we'll support you on that'.

That was something that crossed my mind but I think that is such a complex issue it'll just be brushed aside.

If you ban Zimbabwe because of the the recent elections or because of the links between the cricket board and the government, then you seriously have to look at other nations, such as Pakistan or Sri Lanka.

True, but the Pakistani and Sri Lankan governments don't get gangs of thugs together and deliberately beat up opposition supporters. Their only real argument is that cricket shouldn't be punished because of the political situation in a country but as the cricket board was closely linked to the govt I don't really see that one washing.

Got to add my 2 cents that this is pretty shocking. Just shows how history is written by the powerful and that the power has shifted from ECB and MCC to the Asian sub-continent.
The original point was that "players" play by the rules, and management and diplomats do the arguing about decisions and those rules. Sport should be about teaching youngsters to play by the rules so that they become good citizens, aware of both their rights and responsibilities in a lawful society.

And the final catch-all phrase: two wrongs dont make a right.

I don't see whats the point of all this. Its been two years, they should be moving on. This only shows that certain Asian boards are too powerful and they'll go to any extent to get a decision in their favour. However, to think that this will encourage other teams to avoid taking the field if they are in a losing situation is an over-reaction. Both the umpires and players made certain wrong decisions that led to this controversy. The events that happened in that match were very peculiar and a similar scenario is unlikely to arise again.

Man that sucks.

Kinda like Fremantle v St Kilda in the AFL. The full time siren went with Fremantle in the lead, they were celebrating and everything, but the umpires didn't hear the siren so play continued, St Kilda kicked a point and the scores were level.

A few weeks later they changed the result so Fremantle won.

Now a group of punters are suing the AFL for the loss of $120 000. Lol.

Here's the video -

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=lneCoCfOD7s"]YouTube - Saints & Freo in: The York Park Incident[/ame]

"What are they appealing for?"

"The light"

Dennis Commetti you legend.

Bit of pointless fact there, but yehhhhhhh.

Oh yeh and by the way, Michael Holding quit the ICC over the drawn test result.

Back