4 Day Tests

Neville Young

The ICC is proposing that Test matches be shortened to 4 days. Tests will start on a Thursday and finish on the Sunday. They have proposed that Thursday and Friday be set aside as corporate days while Saturday and Sunday will be family days.

The first trial of this format will be between the South African and the Zimbabwe Test sides, starting Boxing Day.
I can see their logic in this being a true trial of how the new format will work. With the slow batsman friendly pitches of South Africa coupled with the game being against Zimbabwe, a team noted for always playing out the full 5 days of a Test. This will give an excellent indication of how successful the new format will be, prior to its introduction throughout the Test playing nations.
The only problem I can see is that Boxing Day is on a Tuesday this year.

What does everyone else think?

I don't think the ICC is proposing that test matches are shortened to 4 days. It has already been stipulated that all Test Matches in the newly unveiled Test Championship will be 5 day games.
The upcoming four day test was a proposal put forward by South Africa and Zimbabwe. It may be that games organised outside the official test championship can have a test match classification even if they are only scheduled as a four day game. I think you would mainly see 4 day games proposed against the lesser teams such as Zimbabwe, Afghanistan and Ireland.
If however, they were to move forward with 4 day games should we think about doing away with covers during rain delays?

Back