AERO cricket kit experiences

AERO cricket kit experiences

Hi all, I recently got some Aero "strippers" thigh pads and I'm very impressed with them, so was wondering what people's experiences were of their other kit, particularly the batting leg-guards. The Wisden Cricketer calls Aero "the Mongoose of protective equipment" on account of the outlandishness of their designs, and certainly their pads and gloves are very unorthodox, but overall do the weird looks (both of the equipment itself and from opponents and team-mates) merit being overlooked on account of the quality of the equipment?

Re: AERO cricket kit experiences

I think they do the job they claim but I find the design really ugly. Saying that, I'd happily wear the thigh pad/abdo guard kit but would probably draw the line at anything else.

Spiderlounge;407374 said:
Hi all, I recently got some Aero "strippers" thigh pads and I'm very impressed with them, so was wondering what people's experiences were of their other kit, particularly the batting leg-guards. The Wisden Cricketer calls Aero "the Mongoose of protective equipment" on account of the outlandishness of their designs, and certainly their pads and gloves are very unorthodox, but overall do the weird looks (both of the equipment itself and from opponents and team-mates) merit being overlooked on account of the quality of the equipment?

I know several senior and junior players using an almost full Aero kit. The only thing missing I think is the body guard products. They have pads, gloves, strippers, box and some also have the kit bag.

Here are some comments from them.

Strippers - Comments are without exception, they are the best thigh and hip protection they have ever worn. Comfortable, protective and no adjusting required during a game compared to the conventional thigh pads. The inclusion of the back leg inner thigh protect is also highly appreciated. As a side note other manufacturers are now trying to bring out similar products, you can be the judge for yourself on how well they have done.

Box - After getting use to the rubbery edge cushion the comments are that they are more comfortable than the convention box since they are deeper but narrower. Because they are deeper they are probably stronger with respect to a front on impact.

Gloves - Player comments - Very flexible and good freedom of the hand, just like an ordinary day to day glove. The palm of the glove also has a silicone rubber coating that gives enormous bat grip. So much so that when first using them you may end up with slightly sore forearms until you get use to them. The glove padding to date has performed as it should but we did have some concerns that it might move slightly away from the index finger knuckle on the leading hand in certain circumstances. But that was observational assessment, not experienced so far.

Pads - These look very unconventional, as many say "ugly", since there is no knee roll and they wrap almost all the way around the leg. They are very very light and protect as any pad should, with the added benefit of even protecting the full sides of the leg. There is pretty much no calf visible in the normal side on batting stance. It may be the case that there is virtually no dangling straps either, but can't quite remember that. There are only two straps as well with the traditional strap behind the knee gone.

The Areo Kit Bag = best kit bag people have seen and used. The only bag we have seen that truly keeps everything organised, tidy and readily at hand. There are separate compartments for everything. If you get a chance to check one out do so, you will be very impressed. Many other manufacturers are now bringing out similar kit bags, again judge for yourself how successful they are or not.

Aero Products = Unconventional, functional and innovative and all at very reasonable prices for the quality of the product. In having these qualities they do not seem scared to challenge convention, either visually or functionally.

I sound like a bit of a salesman don't I, but seriously check them out for yourself and make your own judgements. I and others I know are overall big supporters! A few of their products could definitely be called ugly only in the sense that they are such a departure from traditional product design that we are all so used to. But appearance can eventually be refined if the concept and functionality is better than anything else around. The thing that impresses me is that you look at Aero products and you know that there has been a lot of thought put into the products.

Hope that is of some value to you.

cheers

I've got Aero P1 Strippers thigh pads, I'm also very impressed. I was regularly getting hit in the thighs playing T20 (due to stupid shot selection when trying to smash fast runs) and even though the bowlers were pretty slow, I was getting lots of bruises through pad shorts, including a couple that gave me dead legs when the ball missed the padding! The P1 Strippers are supposedly good for up to 100mph, and I've been hit by 70mph bowlers and bowling machine balls without even feeling it. So they do the job, and now I'm not afraid to get in behind the ball and play shots, whereas before I'd want to play the shot, but I'd always be jumping about trying to make sure my thighs didn't take a beating.

I have aero bag and can some it up in one word... awesome!
The best bag i have ever owned!
I have the P1 thighpad/guard and it is sensational. So comfortable and great protection. :cool:

Was Aero thighpads the one that Tait infamously got caught off due to the extra bounce off it?

G'day JM71,
Not sure of the Tait incident you refer to, pardon my ignorance, but imho I would not have thought the Aero stripper would have "extra bounce" off it. Certainly no more than other brands/styles anyway. To me the materials used and the construction appear to be as "dead" as could be expected in terms of ball recoil/deflection.

Back