Aussie looking for a UK cricket club

bevo28

Aussie looking for a UK cricket club

I have mainly just joined this site to use this as a tool to potentially set up a cricket club in the Uk in 2011. Also to keep tabs on the competition that I currently play in Melbourne, Australia once I do head over.

If anyone has had a great experience playing in the UK and can recommend a club or area that they know, please get in touch. I have a lot to offer a club, as I am a top 4 bat, and bowl agressive off spin. At 28, and a PE teacher in Oz I am happy to take on a coaching role or help run the junior program at the club. I played roughly 5 years of District cricket in the 2 and 3s before settling in at a club in their ones.

Flights are already sorted and will be arriving in March, but where, we don't know.

Would love to hear about any positive experiences from playing at a UK club.

Dave

Re: Aussie looking for a UK cricket club

bevo28;404421 said:
I have mainly just joined this site to use this as a tool to potentially set up a cricket club in the Uk in 2011. Also to keep tabs on the competition that I currently play in Melbourne, Australia once I do head over.

If anyone has had a great experience playing in the UK and can recommend a club or area that they know, please get in touch. I have a lot to offer a club, as I am a top 4 bat, and bowl agressive off spin. At 28, and a PE teacher in Oz I am happy to take on a coaching role or help run the junior program at the club. I played roughly 5 years of District cricket in the 2 and 3s before settling in at a club in their ones.

Flights are already sorted and will be arriving in March, but where, we don't know.

Would love to hear about any positive experiences from playing at a UK club.

Dave

A lot's going to depend on where you're going to be staying when you arrive and what you'll be doing when you get here I reckon? Most Aussies come here to hang out and live and work in London. If you're more specific about your potential location you'd possibly get a response. Most club teams in the provinces and beyond would be more than happy to have you on board. London where most of you blokes end up might be a problem as there's usually tens of thousands of you lot here at any one time and not so many clubs because of the limited green spaces and therefore cricket pitches.

Or are you looking for Aussie teams and again if you are, you're probably going to find a concentration of them in London. I know out here in Essex (I noted you're a teacher) there's an Aussie/Kiwi teachers team that play very informal games around the Southend area.

Re: Aussie looking for a UK cricket club

Thanks for the reply. Not really looking to play in London or near it. As I played in a Premier League in 2008 just outside of Reading and loved the country cricket lifestyle and people. And the fact that there weren't a lot of Aussies or Kiwis in the comp was a novelty. The standard of the competition could have been higher and that is why I'm looking elsewhere this time around.

I'm in contact with a few clubs in the Manchester area, but just thought I'd see if anyone could recommend a club and area that they had a great time at. I will be on a working holiday visa, which will mean that I will teach for some of the time that I'm there.

Cheers

Back