Aussie World Cup 2007 Squad

trescothick101

Aussie World Cup 2007 Squad

With all the players that have played for Australia in the last year and a half, its gonna be tough to narrow it down to the lucky 15 who will board the plane to the Carribean. At the moment, this is my squad ....

1. Punter (c), 2. Gilly (vc), 3. Martyn, 4. Hussey, 5. Symonds, 6. McGrath, 7. Lee, 8.Clarke, 9. Watson, 10. Jaques, 11. Hogg, 12.Katich, 13. Johnson, 14.Bracken, 15. Tait

I see there is a problem with my squad. No reserve keeper (Haddin), and no back up spinner after Hogg (Cullen or White), as I am relying on Watson as a bowler, and Symonds and Clarke to bowl spin. Cosgrove and Hayden are both pipped by Jaques and Kato. I think Australia are just far superior to the other international sides, and we have good batting depth. The players are not in any particular order by the way. What are your views on the sides make up and other players' inclusions?

Re: Aussie World Cup 2007 Squad

There's a World Cup section for this however I'll take a punt with the side.

1. Ponting (c)
2. Gilchrist (vc) (wkt)
3. Martyn
4. Symonds
5. Hussey
6. Clarke
7. Watson
8. Cosgrove
9. Hogg
10. Cullen
11. Lee
12. McGrath
13. Bracken
14. Johnson
15. Jaques or Katich

Clark, Hayden, Haddin all in the mix.

i reckon the Australia A side would come close to winning the Cup! Look at this:

1.Haddin 2. Hodge 3. Birt 4. Cosgrove 5. Cullen 6.Dorey 7. Hilfenhaus 8. Hopes 9. Jaques 10. Johnson 11. Tait 12. Watson

Now Martyn has retired, I'd probably put White in as the spinning allrounder, or fit in Cullen because there is currently only one spinner in the post i sent a month or so ago. So..

1. Gilly
2. Watson
3. Ponting
4. Hussey
5. Symonds
6. Clarke
7. Hogg
8. Lee
9. Johnson
10. Bracken
11. McGrath
backup: Cosgrove, Hopes, Clark or Tait, Jaques or Cullen

1. Gilchrist (vc) (wk)
2. Jaques
3. Ponting (c)
4. Symonds
5. Hussey
6. Clarke
7. Watson
8. Hogg
9. Lee
10. Clark
11. McGrath

12. Katich
13. Bracken
14. Hayden
15. Johnson

Latest thoughts...

Gilchrist
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey
White
Hogg
Lee
Bracken
McGrath

Johnson
Clark
Katich
Voges

Two spinners in the West Indies!!!! His batting may help him scrape into the squad of 15 though.

The only real selection quandaries are Gilly's opening partner (Watto, Hayden, Cosgrove, Jaques, katich), and that spare no. 7 spot (White, Hogg, Hopes, Watto)

I keep seeing Katich in people's squads:confused:

Wasn't he recently dropped?

I am of the opinion that if you are dropped you should almost go back to the start of the queue to get back in (the guys that were knocking on the door should get given the next chance).

161 runs @ 32 with a SR of 62, which I guess is probably a slower rate than he was scoring at when he was dropped for being too slow and not scoring enough runs.

Given he has done nothing this season to prove to the selectors that he has improved on his game I really don't see them selecting him again.

Bennycoff;125328 said:
Latest thoughts...

Gilchrist
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey
White
Hogg
Lee
Bracken
McGrath

Johnson
Clark
Katich
Voges

I'm pretty close to the money I think.

Only three question marks are White, Katich, Voges.

Hayden looks like taking the openers spot whilst Voges has some stiff competition in Cosgrove, Hodge, etc. White needs to perform or they may pick another spinner in Cullen.

well i'll look at the 30 man squad and cut it down to what i think

Adam Gilchrist (wk), Matthew Hayden, Ricky Ponting (capt), Phil Jaques, Shane Watson, Michael Hussey, Michael Clarke, Andrew Symonds, Cameron White, Brad Hogg, Brett Lee, Mitchell Johnson, Stuart Clark, Glenn McGrath, Nathan Bracken

and my XI

Gilchrist
Watson
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
White
Lee
Clark
Bracken
McGrath

Johnson
Jaques
Hogg
Hayden

I don't see Jaques, macgill or katich getting picked in the team.

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
White
Hogg
Lee
Clark
Johnson
McGrath
Tait

pidgeon fan;127574 said:
I don't see Jaques, macgill or katich getting picked in the team.

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
White
Hogg
Lee
Clark
Johnson
McGrath
Tait
MacGill has retired from ODIs and Domestic one-dayers to give Hauritz and Casson a go.

Jaques will be there. Katich unlikely but an outside chance.

Back