Australia's Team For The Next Ashes Series

courtjester

Who do you think will be in the Aust test team next time the Ashes come round? 2013.

I think we'll be looking at a pretty exciting young outfit along the lines of:

Usman Khawaja
Nick Maddinson
Shane Watson
Callum Ferguson
Michael Clarke
Shaun Marsh
Matthew Wade
Steven O'Keefe
James Pattinson
Mitchell Starc
Patrick Cummins

Who do you think will be in the Aust test team next time the Ashes come round? 2013.

Usman Khawaja
Nick Maddinson
Shane Watson
Callum Ferguson
Michael Clarke
Shaun Marsh
Matthew Wade
Steven O'Keefe
James Pattinson
Mitchell Starc
Patrick Cummins

As it's all speculation, I'll stick with your batsmen, but sub Nathan Coulter-Nile for Patrick Cummins and might slide Ryan Duffield in for Mitchell Starc.

Nice to see you aren't interested in Phil Hughes.

I'm not sure that you'd want both Shaun Marsh and Callum Ferguson in there. Neither of them have much of a record in scoring big. You would hope by them a few batsmen would have shown that they have the right temperaments for test cricket.

And I suppose either of them would find their advancement blocked by Shane Watson who would be still fit enough by then.

I'm not really a fan of Hughes, never have been. Can't stand watching him bat, and I think he has been found out against quality test bowlers. He will always score big against mediocre attacks, but I don't think he'll be consistent.

I really like the brief glimpse I saw of Starc, nice height, bounce and a left armer. A lot can happen with quick bowlers though, so who knows.

Marsh is probably the one I wonder most about. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hussey still there in two years. Middle order prospects look a bit shaky in my opinions. A lot of average averages around the FC scene. It'd be good to see another opener make big runs to push Maddinson down the order:

Khawaja
????
Watson
Ferguson
Clarke
Maddinson

I'm not really a fan of Hughes, never have been. Can't stand watching him bat, and I think he has been found out against quality test bowlers. He will always score big against mediocre attacks, but I don't think he'll be consistent.

I really like the brief glimpse I saw of Starc, nice height, bounce and a left armer. A lot can happen with quick bowlers though, so who knows.

Marsh is probably the one I wonder most about. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hussey still there in two years. Middle order prospects look a bit shaky in my opinions. A lot of average averages around the FC scene. It'd be good to see another opener make big runs to push Maddinson down the order:

That is almost word for word what I have said about him in the past. He's horrible to watch bat. I feel as though every good thing about batting in this sport is junked when he bats.

I watched Starc on the Sheffield Shield stream, maybe he was having bad days but he looked pretty much another Mitchell Johnson and I don't think I can cope with another of them. He's very green though so a lot of development to do and you would hope he learns his trade a bit better as with the equipment he has, he could be very good..

Shaun Marsh is a player who will never live up to his talent. He doesn't have the temperament for anything other than short formats and I'm not sure he really has the temperament for international level for even ODIs. Quite lovely to watch though and I would be more than happy to be proved wrong.

Usman Khawaja
Nick Maddinson
Shane Watson
Callum Ferguson
Michael Clarke
Shaun Marsh
Matthew Wade
Steven O'Keefe
James Pattinson
Mitchell Starc
Patrick Cummins

Drawing a fairly low bow there, way too many NSW players who have yet to prove themselves at domestic level.

Hey Ljp86,

Your team is good. But there are no experience players. But in International cricket experience is an important part of a game. So I think you need some experienced player.

Drawing a fairly low bow there, way too many NSW players who have yet to prove themselves at domestic level.

I still don't really get the love for Starc. He's done so little, all though I guess he hasn't had time to piss anyone off and that is always a bonus with Greg Chappell. I know he had a good game against Sri Lanka, but he looked like another Johnson there, got them out with bad balls mostly.

Biggest problem for me with both Ferguson and Marsh is that they are both inclined to hit the ball in the air a lot. I know Slogwag does that but they are hardly in his class. They both loft the ball when driving (as does Clarke) and that is a dangerous style of play as the opposing skipper can sort the field out to get you out that way (as we have seen with Clarke).

NSW players prove them in domestic level, but they have no experience on international match. It is little risky to play a match without international match experienced player. Anyway thanks for the reply.

I still don't really get the love for Starc. He's done so little, all though I guess he hasn't had time to piss anyone off and that is always a bonus with Greg Chappell. I know he had a good game against Sri Lanka, but he looked like another Johnson there, got them out with bad balls mostly.

Biggest problem for me with both Ferguson and Marsh is that they are both inclined to hit the ball in the air a lot. I know Slogwag does that but they are hardly in his class. They both loft the ball when driving (as does Clarke) and that is a dangerous style of play as the opposing skipper can sort the field out to get you out that way (as we have seen with Clarke).

Haha, slogwag. Haven't heard that before.

Starc has talent but that really isn't enough at the moment. I'd like to see another solid season perhaps two at domestic level before trying these guys out.

Marsh and Ferguson are aerial players but unfortunately you have to take it as it comes. That sort of style has probably come from playing a lot of one-day cricket for Australia where sometimes the only option to go over the top to find much needed runs. I do think Marsh is more ready for test cricket than Ferguson at the moment.

I agree, but that is based mostly on the fact that someone with an average of 35 at Adelaide Oval can't possibly be ready for any test team in the world.

Fair point, I personally wouldn't have Ferguson near making the side anyway, there are a number of other players who would do a better job.

Back