Bangladesh in New Zealand

Ljp86

Staff member
Bangladesh in New Zealand

After a fairly unsuccessful one-day and test series, bangladesh head to new Zealand for a fairly short tour. New Zealand are coming off hosting the Under 19 World Cup and also off their own domestic Twenty20 tournament.

The series is very brief, comprising of only one T20 match, 3 ODI's and one test. Bangladesh are again without skipper Mashrafe Mortaza who has been rules out of the series with a bad fever so stand-in captain, Skakib al Hasan retains the captaincy for the tour. The squad for the series has no new faces but a number of changes. Shahriar Nafees' comeback against India at Chittaging was poor and as a result he has been dropped in favour of Aftab Ahmed. Abdur Razzak comes into the team, replacing Enamul Haque Jnr and Mahbubul Alam, who was in the squad for the India test but didn't play has been omitted in favour of Nazmul Hossain who's right quadricep injury has healed completely. Junaid Suddique will then join the side for the one-off test which starts on February 15.

New Zealand have been decimated by injury with Jesse Ryder, Kyle Mills, Grant Elliott and Shane Bond all missing the one-dayers through injury. Peter Ingram, the Central Districts opening batsman comes into the 12-man ODI squad as well as Andy McKay, one of Wellington's fast bowlers. Ingram also finds himself in the Twenty20 squad for the one-off match on February 3. Scott Styris and Aaron Redmond missed out on selection in the ODI's despite playing against Pakistan for the UAE ODI series back in November. BJ Watling and Lou Vincent also missed out on a squad berth.

Hopefully we can see a tight series here, Bangladesh showed glimpses against India that they can be a competitive outfit while New Zealand were pretty good against Pakistan late last year. This should mix for a good series.

Fixtures

Wed Feb 3 (D/N): Only T20I - New Zealand v Bangladesh at Seddon Park, Hamilton (06:00 GMT | 19:00 local)

Fri Feb 5 (D/N): 1st ODI - New Zealand v Bangladesh at McLean Park, Napier (01:00 GMT | 14:00 local)

Mon Feb 8: 2nd ODI - New Zealand v Bangladesh at University Oval, Dunedin (23:00 GMT (prev day) | 12:00 local)

Thu Feb 11 (D/N): 3rd ODI - New Zealand v Bangladesh at AMI Stadium, Christchurch (01:00 GMT | 14:00 local)

Mon Feb 15 - Fri Feb 19: Only Test - New Zealand v Bangladesh at Seddon Park, Hamilton (22:00 GMT (prev day) | 11:00 local)

Squads

New Zealand (Twenty20): +Brendon McCullum, Peter Ingram, Martin Guptill, Ross Taylor, James Franklin, Gareth Hopkins, Jacob Oram, Nathan McCullum, *Daniel Vettori, Ian Butler, Daryl Tuffey, Tim Southee.

New Zealand (ODI): +Brendon McCullum, Peter Ingram, Martin Guptill, Ross Taylor, Neil Broom, James Franklin, *Daniel Vettori, Jacob Oram, Ian Butler, Daryl Tuffey, Tim Southee, Andy McKay.

Bangladesh: *Shakib al Hasan, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Abdur Razzak, Aftab Ahmed, Imrul Kayes, Junaid Siddique, Mahmudullah, Mohammad Ashraful, Naeem Islam, Nazmul Hossain, Raqibul Hasan, Rubel Hossain, Shafiul Islam, Shahadat Hossain, Tamim Iqbal

Re: Bangladesh in New Zealand

What is the point of playing a single test, it doesn't even count for the rankings as you need two for a series.

I'd really like to see a more extensive series. That said, I don't rate the Bangladeshis with much of a chance on the Kiwi seamers.

Bangladesh today proved all the concerns of their status correct with a horrific ten wicket loss in the first 20/20 against a determined New Zealand side.

Mohammed Ashraful looks like he needs time away from international cricket as his form is not improving. They are definitely missing the all round talent of Mortaza. I hate saying it but I think this might be a whitewash...

New Zealand wrapped up the ODI series yesterday, doling out another thrashing to Bangladesh in the second match. The five-wicket win in just the 28th over goes with their 146 run victory in the first match, and a ten wicket win in 9 overs from the one-off T20.

Given the results of the recent Zimbabwe tour of Bangladesh, we're really at a nadir for those two Test-playing nations - and that's saying a lot given their history.

New Zealand won the one-day series 3-0. They also won the one-off test by 121 runs.

New Zealand 1st Innings 7dec/553

Martin Guptill 189
Brendon McCullum 185

Rubel Hossain 5/166

Bangladesh 1st Innings a.o. 408

Mahmudullah 115
Shakib al Hasan 87
Tamim Iqbal 68

Daniel Vettori 3/88
Chris Martin 3/116

New Zealand 2nd Innings 5dec/258

Tim McIntosh 89
Martin Guptill 56*
Ross Taylor 51

Mahmudullah 2/84

Bangladesh 2nd Innings a.o. 282

Shakib al Hasan 100
Mahmudullah 42

Tim Southee 3/42
Jeetan Patel 2/75
Daniel Vettori 2/80

Result: New Zealand won by 121 runs
Series: New Zealand won the one-off test
Man of the Match: Martin Guptill

I'm pleased that Sakib finally got a ton. With him, Mahmudullah and Iqbal they seem to have three players who can do the job at test level but they are still carrying 4/5 players, most notably Ashraful.

I know this Test doesn't say much, but Guptill has been developing nicely at the Test level since he's made the step up.

True, he's seemed to have more progress than the likes of Flynn and any number of openers they've tried recently.

I was looking at the Bangladesh batsmen's strike-rate for this test. They seem unusually high for test matches - even by today's standards. Perhaps this is one of their problems...

They did seem to go for it. Iqbal has always been a quick scorer as has Ashraful but it seems that the rest of the batting line up tried to follow suit.

Well their main game is ODIs, don't get too many Tests. Wouldn't be surprised if that is the cause.

I think the last few posts has summed up why Bangladesh seem to struggle badly in test cricket. The first is that they play too much one-day cricket, a lot of these tours seem to consist of a multitude of one-day and T20 games but not much test cricket or even three or four-day tour matches. This series is a prime example, a T20, three ODI's and one test. The amount of days playing one-day cricket is almost on a par with the amount of days playing test cricket. That's not right.

The second is that Bangladesh are carrying too many players which is what mas alluded to. Shakib al Hasan, Tamim Iqbal and Mahmudullah are all pretty solid, Mushfiqur Rahim is pretty handy also as is Mashrafe Mortaza when he's playing and Junaid Suddique is not bad also. But the rest don't offer much and don't seem to be in the team for that long for them to consolidate a place. Ashraful is just plain shit to be honest, offers absolutely nothing to the Bangladesh side and should have been dropped a year ago. He seems to be in the side on past glories or because he used to captain the side. There's no other way to describe it really.

The third is that Bangladesh just aren't good enough. Their best can be pretty good but their worst is just plain awful and that's the Bangladesh we see on just about every occasion. A lot of the time a couple of players will have okay games but the rest fall in a heap and the Tigers soon find themselves well behind the eight ball with little chance of catching up. Then we have the all-in "efforts" in which everyone plays very poorly and the contest just becomes a one-sided whitewash.

The only way to curb this would to be getting Bangladesh playing more test cricket but when they are largely uncompetitive then that doesn't seem to be much of an option, particularly to the bigger nations who want to bring in the dollars. Perhaps playing more four-day cricket in their domestic competition would be the way to go and maybe matches against other nations "A" teams. Games against the England Lions, Australia "A" and India "A" would be good opposition for the Tigers' side and might help with their development.

Ljp86;389314 said:
I think the last few posts has summed up why Bangladesh seem to struggle badly in test cricket. The first is that they play too much one-day cricket, a lot of these tours seem to consist of a multitude of one-day and T20 games but not much test cricket or even three or four-day tour matches. This series is a prime example, a T20, three ODI's and one test. The amount of days playing one-day cricket is almost on a par with the amount of days playing test cricket. That's not right.

The second is that Bangladesh are carrying too many players which is what mas alluded to. Shakib al Hasan, Tamim Iqbal and Mahmudullah are all pretty solid, Mushfiqur Rahim is pretty handy also as is Mashrafe Mortaza when he's playing and Junaid Suddique is not bad also. But the rest don't offer much and don't seem to be in the team for that long for them to consolidate a place. Ashraful is just plain shit to be honest, offers absolutely nothing to the Bangladesh side and should have been dropped a year ago. He seems to be in the side on past glories or because he used to captain the side. There's no other way to describe it really.

The third is that Bangladesh just aren't good enough. Their best can be pretty good but their worst is just plain awful and that's the Bangladesh we see on just about every occasion. A lot of the time a couple of players will have okay games but the rest fall in a heap and the Tigers soon find themselves well behind the eight ball with little chance of catching up. Then we have the all-in "efforts" in which everyone plays very poorly and the contest just becomes a one-sided whitewash.

The only way to curb this would to be getting Bangladesh playing more test cricket but when they are largely uncompetitive then that doesn't seem to be much of an option, particularly to the bigger nations who want to bring in the dollars. Perhaps playing more four-day cricket in their domestic competition would be the way to go and maybe matches against other nations "A" teams. Games against the England Lions, Australia "A" and India "A" would be good opposition for the Tigers' side and might help with their development.

Agree completely.

I have the feeling that most smaller cricketing nations do not think that Tests are the ultimate. I think that outside of the Test playing nations, no other team wants to play Tests, let alone be good at them. I think Bangladesh and Zimbabwe can fall into this category as well. ODIs are their pinnacle for cricket.

I think that outside of the Test playing nations, no other team wants to play Tests, let alone be good at them.

Sad, but probably true. I find it quite hard to fathom that the players are basically conceding that they do not have the temperament or stomach to handle the longer form. You would think that they would be dead keen to try and prove themselves in this form.

There is no other sport in the world that is like cricket. It's closest popular relative is baseball, which in itself is quite wacky and unique, but is nothing when you compare it to cricket.

It is the only sport that has three different forms, you don't see any football code have one match that lasts 180, 90 and another 45 minutes and none of the results affect one another.

If you look from an objective view, Test cricket is a game that is hard to fathom as to why it is popular.

I believe that the only people who truly love cricket have to grow up in a cricket family, and be watching cricket from a young age.

If you don't, you will never fully understand all of it. You won't get what the follow on is, you won't get why people get out LBW, you won't know how to tell who is winning when seemingly nothing has happened in two hours. Just think that Test cricket is the only sport where nothing can happen for a whole session of play, but the spectators are fascinated that nothing has happened.

The only way to make Test cricket as popular as it is in Test playing nations in other nations, you would pretty much have to brainwash over generations.

Is Test cricket really still the pinnacle of cricket? Are all three forms of cricket really still the same game, or should they be classified as different sports? Do we really want to expand outside of the nations that are playing now, especially if it risks the continuation of Test cricket? Will we see a day when T20 is the only form being played?

Lot of questions to ask and only speculation.

Back