bat knocking in machine in Sydney?

crazycanuk

Hi there,
I am having terrible luck in finding anyone in Sydney that may have a machine to knock in your cricket bats. Could anyone out there please help me with some contacts? Kingsgrove sports don't have a machine they just get their employees to spend first ten min. of their shifts to knock in bats. (at least this is what I've been told, but certainly don't have a machine)

Any help would be much appreciated, hopefully ASAP. thanks

Hi, I've had one of my bats knocked in by Kinsgrove (Slazenger Panther) and they did a pretty good job. Although, if you really want a knocking in machine, maybe try Greg Chappel Cricket Centre or Triforce Sports. Good luck in finding one ;)

Hi 'Slogga85', thank you for your reply. Unfortunately no luck with Greg Chappel (they only have bat rolling machine) and Triforce don't carry out any bat repair or resurface services.
I am sure there must be someone out there who would know something, at least I hope so.

Dear crazycanuk,

My name is Harry Solomons and I am the Managing Director of Kingsgrove Sports. I refute your statement that we knock in our bats for the first ten minutes of our employees' shifts. Our method of knocking bats in is well documented and practised. Simply, we keep the bat purchased by a customer for one week, we machine-roll the bat which is a simple method of hardening lightly the surface preventing denting and surface cracking. We then oil the bat and knock the bat in daily for a period of between 5-6 days. On the seventh day, we sleeve the bat and protect the edges for our customers. Today, most companies sell pre-knocked in bats which already have a sleeve which is factory prepared. My staff is instructed to even take these bats to the back of the shop for extra knocking in with a hammer prior to giving it to the customer. This is to ensure extra preparation even though the companies say that the bat is pre-prepared.
We do have a knocking in machine but as we sell over 8000 bats a year (probably the highest quantity in the world) we do not use the machine anymore as the machine is unable to efficiently knock in that many bats. We now prefer to use the bat roller which basically does the same job as the machine in hardening the surface of the bat and this method is much more efficient. The rest is all done by hand with the use of a high quality bat hammer. Hope this answers your question. You are most welcome to bring in your bat to us and we can show you our knocking in facilities in detail. You may be interested to note that after 35 years of personally knocking in bats for my customers, I have now incurred a rather nasty shoulder problem which will require surgery.

One final thing - We get customers who purchase bats from many of our competitors and even from overseas who bring their bats to us for a total knock-in an sleeve which costs them $62.00 for a total week's work. If they buy the bat from us, this service is done at no charge.

Kind regards,
HARRY SOLOMONS

Back