bowling arm bent?

stumpdestroyer

bowling arm bent?

hey guys im Bunts and im a fast bowler , ive bowled for 4 years now. At the moment im 19 years old. My problem is that over the last few years , at times I feel like im bending my bowling arm while bowling fast. I Tend to do this when i really want to bowl like the wind. Can anyone tell me if I CHUKING? am I allowed to bowl like this? what can I do to avoid this? here is a video of me bowling a couple of years ago. SEE MY ARM COLSELY
YouTube - Cricket - Hyperextension bowling

THNX GUYS

Re: bowling arm bent?

Looks ok to me - you're only breaking throwing laws if you straighten the arm. What you have seems to be natural.

However, to be certain you'd need a lot more than one delivery to be looked at.

The video quality is so poor, that I am afraid it is impossible to assess fully what you are doing at the elbow, so cannot say why or how to correct it. Are you hypermobile at all?

As mas says, we need more and clearer videos. More up-to-date ones would be good too if you could manage it.

I used to have this problem when I bowled seam up. All the guys at the club would go and tell me to bowl with a higher action, then they'd say try bowling round arm, then don't bowl so quick. Pretty frustrating.

I'm not sure if this will help, but I fixed my action and my bent arm is hardly noticeable with one thing. I try to bring my bowling arm back and hold it down almost pausing.

I tried rationalising why I did this and I think it's based on some pretty simple physics. If you swing your arm in a continuous moving circle like you do and like I did you basically exert a constant circular centripedal force on your arm. When your arm is vertical, the force acts against gravity making it very hard for your arm to remain straight. Hence it sort of limps. You bowl by pulling your arm back, then pausing, it becomes more elliptical or more straight back to straight forward.

To justify the difference of your action to say the top modern tall Australian, Indian, and English bowlers, just watch Mcgrath, Srinath and Flintoff. There is always a pause in their action -- never a constant motion.

Back