Cheap Indian Cricket Bat..(ebay)

Daniel Long

So i'm sort of an idiot .... nah cut that i'm a complete idiot. i brought a $60 aud cricket bat off of ebay i was expecting a cheap khasmir willow bat that i could hold while i get out at 11. anyway the bat arrived this morning and well it's a lump of wood in a cricket bat shape while it has a toe guard and a grip the blade hasn't been varnished or polished and i can still see tool marks. all i need is some advice on how i should varnish and oil this lump of wood into being usable. also i could use a decent slap around the earhole.

So i'm sort of an idiot .... nah cut that i'm a complete idiot. i brought a $60 aud cricket bat off of ebay i was expecting a cheap khasmir willow bat that i could hold while i get out at 11. anyway the bat arrived this morning and well it's a lump of wood in a cricket bat shape while it has a toe guard and a grip the blade hasn't been varnished or polished and i can still see tool marks. all i need is some advice on how i should varnish and oil this lump of wood into being usable. also i could use a decent slap around the earhole.

The main thing is it will need to be knocked in properly. A couple of teaspoons of linseed need to be rubbed in first and then leave it for a couple of days. Then start bashing it with a knocking in hammer - do the edges first and take it easy initially as it'll be dead soft and it's going to take about 6 hours by all accounts.
Have a look at his link http://www.pitchvision.com/how-to-knock-in-your-cricket-bat
Like you I bat at No.11 and didn't see the point in spending all that money just to have a ball hit it a few times each innings (If I got to bat). Mines lasted a 4 or 5 years and has only recently died. Since buying that one I've bought countless better ones second hand - good grade 2 and grade 1 English willow bats off of Ebay. Last thing - I wouldn't varnish it though, maybe get some bat tape and use that to protect it a bit.

yeah i only varnished the back of it have oiled and knocked it in and placed a bat cover on the face it seems to be fine however i haven't had chance to use it in anger yet but it seems fine in the nets

Back