Cricket Australia; Day/Night Tests?

Simbazz

Cricket Australia; Day/Night Tests?

http://blogs.cricinfo.com/surfer/archives/2007/12/australia_consi.php

Indeed an interesting read. I would sure bring in more crowds and the atmosphere might be better during the night. Is it against the tradition? Probably, traditionalists will argue so. Or look at it this way, is it Cricket Australia doing what they have done in the past, modernising cricket today as we know it!

I think its a cracking idea. Worth a trial atleast.

Re: Cricket Australia; Day/Night Tests?

It might be a possibility in near future.I remember mentioning Day/Night Test matches to be happening in one of the thread.
It would benefit Cricket in longer run and good for viewer to catch the excitement during prime time in TV :)

It was proposed by Geoffrey Boycott. Will be interesting to see how successful it is.

They cant use the red ball in day night games. So what ball will they use? I dont like the idea because if they use the white ball then test cricket will become a different game.

I'd like to see it trialled in matches that dont affect the ICC rankings. It just sounds like it would put too much strain on a player and doesnt make much sense to me anymore.

People forget that this has been trialled in the Pura Cup a few years ago and it didn't really work.

I can't see anything changing in tests.

I don't think it would be benificial in England. Then again, if they can market day/night tests like they marketed 20/20, the skys the limit.

i reakon if they can get over the problem of the ball, then it should go ahead. and a fair few players who were a part of the pura cup tests said that it worked.

They will have trouble sighting the red ball. I think they might try the pink balls.
Are these going to be official Test matches?

day night test matches can solve the problem of play ending because of bad light...but still i dont know if public will be more intrested just because its day/night match.

chicmagnet said:
They will have trouble sighting the red ball. I think they might try the pink balls.
Are these going to be official Test matches?

If the pink balls prove a success elsewhere then I'm sure they will attempt to use them elsewhere.

The biggest hurdle is getting a ball which will last for 80 overs, is visable and doesn't leave a trail through the air (optical illuision), which rules out white, yellow and orange balls.

Red is too dark so pink may well be the answer.

i would hate if they play with white balls...if the expirement with pink balls work then they should try them for day/night tests and odis.

In my opinion, there should be a minimum deadline of about 5:30pm (differing times depending on whether overs must be made up and times pre-considered by the national boards) which has to be played out, regardless of light with the permission to use floodlights to get to, but not go beyond this deadline. Obviously, such a situation is nullified if a stadium does not have lights.

There should not be day/night Tests, because it may bring horrible situations of batsmen jumping around on a Day 5 pitch against Brett Lee. The fact is that it will be too hard to bat on late day pitches at night time and Test match must stay a game played mostly in the day time.

However, I think that in a rare situation such as a series decider which has had overs removed due to rain, the two captains should be able to agree to play out the overs under floodlights.

The key with light is flexibility, not rigid rules like there are now.

Back