Cricket Teas

Cricket Teas

I think that we all know cricket teas are a bit of a joke and in some ways are little more than party snacks.

As someone who gives advice about nutrition, what should we be eating at tea? I play 50 over matches that start at 11am and often feel unmotivated by the bland selction of cakes, sandwiches and chocolate. I have also noticed that by filling up on this stodge it can effect my performance afterwards, especially if we're the fielding side.

I want to change at least what my club provides, can you offer any ideas?

Re: Cricket Teas

This is one area I have a real problem with.

First of all, I love the traditional cricket tea. It's delicious and if eaten as part of a healthy eating plan I have no problem with it. it's only one meal after all.

that said, many people impair their post-tea performance by eating too much food that can bloat you and make you feel tired (sugar crash anyone?)

It's quite possible to eat a range of healthy, tasty food without relying on cakes and sarnies for fuel too. Healthy certainly does not have to be boring as many people think. I have a ton of recipies for cricket tea style food that is tasty and healthy.

Really, when it comes to teas the best approach is to follow the 10 rules of precision cricket nutrition like any other time. This will give you plenty of energy without making you feel all stodged out.

However, it's quite a challenge to follow these rules in a normal cricket tea. There are a few strategies to try:

• Have a word with the person who makes the teas and tell them you have special dietary requirements. There are a lot of people who do these days.
  • Make your own food at home and bring it along or bring a meal replacement shake (not a bought one though, one you blended yourself like
this one)
  • Try and customise the tea that is served up

It's also worth getting tested for allergies too. Some people feel bloated or tired or bunged up after eating foods with wheat or lactose in. If you have a low level allergy you should cut out those foods for health reasons as well as cricketing ones.

We (or I should say I) had a similar type of problem. It went so far that I used to dread batting first as I knew I'd have to forget about tea, save for a drink and maybe a sandwich, otherwise I'd be too bloated to bowl properly.

In the end I managed to have a word with the committee and got them to have a rethink on what was actually being served up and made it more along the lines of what professionals would be eating.

We brought in pasta as an option for sandwiches (which in the end went down a treat not just because it's cheaper than bread and fillings), fresh fruit and a 'wiser' selection of sweets (jaffa cake anyone?). We also mixed it up with things such as salad potatoes and fruit salads.

All it takes is a little bit of thought and you can produce a decent and interesting tea for the same money as it costs to buy a few loaves of bread and fillings.

All great stuff. I'd push for:

more lean protein from unprocessed sources like chicken breast or tuna.
more healthy fats from avocado, mixed nuts and olive oil.
loads more veg - cucumber, tomato, lettuce, carrots, onion, celery and the like.
a choice of fruits
a smaller amount of higher carb, low fat food like bread and pasta.
less high fat, high sugar snacks.

I really do believe in 'a little of what you fancy does you good' and a cricket tea is not a cricket tea without a few picau ar y maen!

Reduce the sugar and increase the spice to include cinnamon to compensate for the extra flavour.

Just half a teaspoon of cinnamon a day significantly reduces blood sugar levels and can lower LDL cholesterol.

At the end of a healthy tea, what could be better?

Our teas are usually egg and mayonase sandwiches (which I usually have lots of), a few cakes and a chocolate bar or muffin.

A couple of times we had chips and once, we had ice lollies - what a day.

Liz Ward said:
I really do believe in 'a little of what you fancy does you good' and a cricket tea is not a cricket tea without a few picau ar y maen!

Reduce the sugar and increase the spice to include cinnamon to compensate for the extra flavour.

Just half a teaspoon of cinnamon a day significantly reduces blood sugar levels and can lower LDL cholesterol.

At the end of a healthy tea, what could be better?

True, you can't beat a proper welsh cake ;)

Worst place for teas is the local birds eye factory - sausage and beans on a hot summers day - no need!

I like something light and sweet (like me!, sorry in a cheese mood).

Anyway, serious face on, what are good snacks to have when fielding? I'm taking a liking to pumpkin seeds, anything else?

Pumpkin seeds are good; all seeds and nuts are good. As are raw fruits and vegetables.

When you say "when" fielding do you mean "during" fielding? If so watch the choking [and watch the ball!]

Bananas are great! Yellow ones before the match as they have slower energy release and brown ones during a drinks break; these become more simple than complex and release energy quicker.

Try and avoid the cheese, though good for many positive nutrients, high in a few negative ones :p

Back