2. Klinger
3. Clarke (C)
4. Haddin +
5. M. Hussey (VC)
6. Warner
7. McDonald
8. Johnson
9. Hauritz
10. Hilfenhaus or Siddle if a seamer is best.
11. Bracken

One day cricket = swing bowling, an all-rounder, quick scoring batsmen and YOUNG PLAYERS.

Other Squad Members
Katich, Bollinger, Siddle, Hopes, Rogers, Hussey, Hodge, Marsh, Heal.

Ponting should retire from ODI's to prolong his test career and allow youth to develop. The side should go young to develope players for the test side and the next world cup.

Key's:
Andrew McDonald has been the best all-rounder in the country. 1st change to get value from his swing.

Clarke to captain and get some practice at it before he becomes test captain.

Hauritz is a defencive spinner, not a test spinner but a one day spinner for sure, and can bat. Should be rotated in and out with Heal to give Heal a reward for form and a taste of internationals.

Left arm and right arm opening swing combination from Hilfenhaus and Bracken. Swing is so important in one day cricket.

Warner, has the stats & form and is the big hitter that brings excitement and people through the gates and can break an oppositions back.

Johnson, 2nd change, very good old ball bowler.

Hussey needs to play some attacking cricket because he has become too defencive in the test matches and it's not his go. Needs to start playing his shots again and get some confidence.

Haddin loves hitting over the infield so bat him high so he can do it while the field is up.

Hughes is the best opener in the country and will play test cricket very soon so should get some international expierence before he does. That and he has more than earnt his spot.

Klinger is red hot and ready to go.

A bowling attack with variation (spin, swing, seam, left and right arm).

Katich - bats too slow and gets bogged down to defensive cricket. He is easy to tie down.
Bollinger - is good enough but Johnson and Bracken are ahead of him for this role.
Siddle - No reason he shouldn't play, can bat and is our best seamer. Rotate with Hilfenhaus or Hauritz.
Hopes - McDonald just ahead of him.
Rogers - Could play if Klinger fails as opener.
D. Hussey - Has form but is getting on the old side but would be a valuable player with his part time spin.
Hodge - Same as David Hussey, probably past it.
Marsh - An opening option, maby not quite ready.
Heal - very good young spin option and I hope he is rewarded for his good ODD form and tried.

Re: Developement and Current One Day Side

Another quality post gbatman. Keep them coming.

I feel the selectors got in wrong in the test with McDonald and Hauritz. Both would be very handy in the short form of the game instead of the tests. McDonald can move it in the air and off the pitch. Bats solidly and has been around the domestic scene for long enough that he would slot very nicely into our line up. Hauritz blows flat, with little turn but can drift it slightly. Would be great to tie up an end but not to bowl out sides.

Hilfy and Bracken would be the ideal choice to open the attack and suprisingly enough the selectors seem to of got it right with Johnson these day's by bowling him 1st change when the ball is a little older. Very damaging.

Not sure about Klinger, would be much more happy and confident with Rogers or North up the top. Ponting still carves up the runs and still has a few years left in him yet. He will still be around, maybe not captaining but still there.

gbatman;305946 said:
My One Day Side:

1. Hughes
2. Klinger
3. Clarke (C)
4. Haddin +
5. M. Hussey (VC)
6. Warner
7. McDonald
8. Johnson
9. Hauritz
11. Bracken

One day cricket = swing bowling, an all-rounder, quick scoring batsmen and YOUNG PLAYERS.

Other Squad Members
Katich, Bollinger, Siddle, Hopes, Rogers, Hussey, Hodge, Marsh, Heal.

Ponting should retire from ODI's to prolong his test career and allow youth to develop. The side should go young to develope players for the test side and the next world cup.

Key's:
Andrew McDonald has been the best all-rounder in the country. 1st change to get value from his swing.

Clarke to captain and get some practice at it before he becomes test captain.

Hauritz is a defencive spinner, not a test spinner but a one day spinner for sure, and can bat. Should be rotated in and out with Heal to give Heal a reward for form and a taste of internationals.

Left arm and right arm opening swing combination from Hilfenhaus and Bracken. Swing is so important in one day cricket.

Warner, has the stats & form and is the big hitter that brings excitement and people through the gates and can break an oppositions back.

Johnson, 2nd change, very good old ball bowler.

Hussey needs to play some attacking cricket because he has become too defencive in the test matches and it's not his go. Needs to start playing his shots again and get some confidence.

Haddin loves hitting over the infield so bat him high so he can do it while the field is up.

Hughes is the best opener in the country and will play test cricket very soon so should get some international expierence before he does. That and he has more than earnt his spot.

Klinger is red hot and ready to go.

A bowling attack with variation (spin, swing, seam, left and right arm).

Katich - bats too slow and gets bogged down to defensive cricket. He is easy to tie down.
Bollinger - is good enough but Johnson and Bracken are ahead of him for this role.
Siddle - No reason he shouldn't play, can bat and is our best seamer. Rotate with Hilfenhaus or Hauritz.
Hopes - McDonald just ahead of him.
Rogers - Could play if Klinger fails as opener.
D. Hussey - Has form but is getting on the old side but would be a valuable player with his part time spin.
Hodge - Same as David Hussey, probably past it.
Marsh - An opening option, maby not quite ready.
Heal - very good young spin option and I hope he is rewarded for his good ODD form and tried.

Definitely a squad you could take to the next world cup

Yep i was not sure about selecting the second opener. If Ponting plays he will captain. He is carrying injuries and he needs to cut back his cricket at his age if he wants to prolong his test career. He needs to do what Steve Waugh did...

gbatman;305985 said:
Yep i was not sure about selecting the second opener. If Ponting plays he will captain. He is carrying injuries and he needs to cut back his cricket at his age if he wants to prolong his test career. He needs to do what Steve Waugh did...

Maybe he should but I can't see it happening, nor can I see him getting pushed like Waugh was

Not Hughes. Has done very little in the 50 over format to warrant selection. Don't get me wrong, as a NSW supporter I am a HUGE fan of his, but he hasn't figured out his limited overs game yet. He gets ahead of himself and gives his wicket away too easily.

Warner is a possibility, but I'm not sure he has the head for the top level yet. Again, I'm a fan of his, especially given he is a Baby Blue (hence the name ;)), but I'd prefer to let him get another solid season under his belt. If our lineup was looking a little too stagnant, perhaps he could get the call up. Also, I'd much rather him at the top of the order.

This would be my side:

Katich
Clarke
Ponting
Haddin (good call on him batting 4, I like it)
D. Hussey
M. Hussey
White
Johnson
Hauritz/Hilfenhaus
Siddle
Bracken

I like Clarke as an opener. He has had a fair bit of success in that position in ODI cricket, and I think that given most of the batsmen who have been knocking on the door for a while are middle/lower order batsmen, for the sake of team balance Clarke is best used as an opener. He has the technique to cope with the new ball, the strokemaking and striking ability to score runs quickly, and the temperament and grit to settle things down if we lose early wickets (something he has only really started showing regularly recently).

The second opening spot is a tough one. I went Katich since I've listed a strong bowling lineup, but my other option would have been Hopes. I think people unfairly malign Katich as a slow and boring batsman based on how he used to play, but he has really worked some fine strokeplay and aggressive batting into his game. He is more than capable of scoring runs quickly. He is quite like Hussey in that respect. When runs need to be scored at a fast rate, he can do it, but otherwise, protecting his wicket simply takes priority. I could see Hopes opening the batting, and Katich slotting in at 4 after Ponting, with everybody else dropping down a place and one of the bowlers, probably Hauritz/Hilfy or Siddle, missing out.

Ponting at 3 picks himself, though if he wants to retire from ODIs to prolong his Test career, that's up to him.

Haddin is a quality batsman (when he backs himself, which he hasn't always). He has the skill and temperament to hold down the number 4 position in ODIs.

I like D. Hussey at 5, ahead of Mike. Effectively playing Symonds' role in his absence. Maybe not much of a look to the future, but I can't see any other young guns beating the door down for the number 5 spot.

Mike Hussey's versatility makes him a perfect limited overs number 6. He has had the most success in that position. He is an expert and protecting the tail while still scoring runs, he can consolidate after a mid-order collapse, and he has shown on several occasions that he can score runs at very high rates when required, something handy at the death.

I like White. Very talented batsman, and a decent part time tweaker. Give him a run, let him blast a few at the death, and have him bowl 3 or 4 overs a match. A far more exciting and naturally talented player than McDonald.

Johnson picks himself, and Bracken does too, in the OD format. Hauritz and Hilfy are interchangeable I reckon, depending on conditions. Siddle has done well in the Tests, and deserves a run in the ODI side, despite the fact that he has shown himself at state level to be a better bowler in the longer form of the game than the 50 over format. If he doesn't do that well, swap him with Hilfy, or if Hilfy is already playing, and we want to keep 4 pacemen, Dougie, or Hopes at the top of the order and Katich moving to 4, as I mentioned earlier.

David Hussey definatly warrents selection but he too has ticked up a fair few years on the age clock.

Cameron White too often gets smashed. He only has one shot (slog to cow) and the opposition only have to put a fielder on the boundry and 1 out of 3 slogs doesn't go for 6 and he is out.

Katich in one day cricket could be interesting as his batting has improved. I love his batting but I recon bowling a new moving ball just out side of off with a stacked covers and slips would get him out very easily. He seems to be easy to tie down to me.

Hughes has made a lot of runs and is the future. The way i see it one day cricket is a young mans game and a way of developing players for test cricket.

gbatman;306426 said:
David Hussey definatly warrents selection but he too has ticked up a fair few years on the age clock.

Cameron White too often gets smashed. He only has one shot (slog to cow) and the opposition only have to put a fielder on the boundry and 1 out of 3 slogs doesn't go for 6 and he is out.

Katich in one day cricket could be interesting as his batting has improved. I love his batting but I recon bowling a new moving ball just out side of off with a stacked covers and slips would get him out very easily. He seems to be easy to tie down to me.

Hughes has made a lot of runs and is the future. The way i see it one day cricket is a young mans game and a way of developing players for test cricket.

I've seen White play some brilliant, thoughtful innings at times. The times I've seen him represent Australia, he has been a little bit disappointing, but I get the feeling it may be because he feels he needs to smash every ball out of the park to prove himself. I reckon if he is selected in the side and given the support of the selectors, and told that he doesn't need to hit every ball for six, he could develop into a very good cricketer.

What you said about Katich again would apply about three years ago, but these days he is a much more versatile batsman. I could very easily see him opening the batting successfully at ODI level. I guess the selectors didn't agree with me, and went for the younger Marsh, but oh well.

Yes, Hughes is the way of the future, and if his ODD record was anything similar to his First Class record, I'd put him in the squad too, but it's not. There are other players more deserving of a ODI spot than Hughes. There's no reason Hughes can't make his Test debut before his ODI debut.

The reason White struggles at International level is he either comes in at 5/120 or something when the rest have failed on a tough pitch and expected to dominate with just the tail remaining or comes in with a few overs left and has to slog immediately, sometimes it comes off, his hs is 40* off about 20 balls. He bats for Victoria at 3-5 so plays very different innings

But McDonald is not a one day option, he plays all the time for the Vics but not in our best side imo, his bowling is not effective enough in one day cricket and can be smashed very easily especially if allowed to bowl at the death, also couldnt be expected for the late order hitting sometimes required

gbatman;305946 said:
My One Day Side:

1. Hughes
2. Klinger
3. Clarke (C)
4. Haddin +
5. M. Hussey (VC)
6. Warner
7. McDonald
8. Johnson
9. Hauritz
11. Bracken

gbatman;305946 said:
My One Day Side:
A one day side for the future not for this upcoming series. dont agree with no ponting Ponting has to be in the team. Lee? Tait? Haddin at 4 goos squad dont agree with a few things though
My side(upcoming series)
Haydos- if he fails first few matches get Klinger in
hughes
ponting (c)
clarke
symonds
hussey
haddin
Johnson
Lee
Hauritz
Tait

12th man- A. McDonald

Other players i would consider
Dave Hussey
Luke Ronchi
Peter Siddle

My team:
1. Marsh
2. Hopes
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Haddin
6. M. Hussey
7. D. Hussey/White (depending on how the middle/top order performs)
8. Johnson
9. Hauritz
10. Hilfenhaus/Siddle (depending on where we play)
11. Bracken

I like the idea of Haddin up the one day order, get him to play some innings. Hauritz would be a good one day bowler, very restricting, handy bat too. Hilfenhaus and Siddle will fight for the third pace bowler's spot, who will get the spot will depend on the swinger vs. seamer battle. D. Hussey and White to fight for the no 7 spot. If the otp order performs get White out there and he can bowl a couple of overs if needed and smash a quick 40. If they aren't get D. Hussey in to play an innings. He can bowl a bit too so these two are interchangable. If either one, M. Hussey or one of the openers really struggles for form then the one not playing can come in to replace them easily.

gbatman;306426 said:

Just saw White bowl in the T20. Took 4 wickets and bowled the biggest load of garbage you will ever see.

The430king;306701 said:
Just saw White bowl in the T20. Took 4 wickets and bowled the biggest load of garbage you will ever see.
cameron white, after watching him bowl in te last two t20's, is now the worst bowler in domestic cricket. when you cant hit the pitch, you shouldnt be bowling for your state. period. CAN bat though.

The430king;306701 said:
Yet still got 4 wickets

Either he is out of practice, having trouble gripping it or decided quite smartly that in T20 its better to just toss the ball up and make the batsman make all the power, plus more flight = more bounce

eddiesmith;306822 said:
Yet still got 4 wickets

Either he is out of practice, having trouble gripping it or decided quite smartly that in T20 its better to just toss the ball up and make the batsman make all the power, plus more flight = more bounce

White is a mediocre bowler. Tonight's effort proved it, despite taking four wickets he should be embarassed with that effort. Half his wickets came from rank half-trackers caught on the boundary, that doesn't scream all-rounder to me.

He needs to focus on his batting. White's bowling will be no better than that of a part-time spinner and to be honest he doesn't bowl himself a lot at state level. Rather than trying to become a all-rounder he should focus on getting his batting good enough to try and make the Australian sides as a batter alone. The only form of the game he could do that in at the moment is Twenty20, simply because he can hit the ball a country mile.

He needs to cut his losses now rather than later and get his batting good enough for international level otherwise I can't him having a long international career.

White is limited in in what shots he has, his one shot is a cross bat slog. Simply put one man at cow corner, maby another man out there (more square) and bowl straight at middle stump and bowl spinners as he tends to try and go long and will only hit 1 out of 3 for 6 at best. He's an easy wicket an a costly bowler.

Wow, just 1 shot, its amazing he has ever made runs if he is only ever going to last 3 balls at most, perhaps you should be a State captain as they dont seem to realise how easy it is to get him out.. :rolleyes:

eddiesmith;307178 said:
Wow, just 1 shot, its amazing he has ever made runs if he is only ever going to last 3 balls at most, perhaps you should be a State captain as they dont seem to realise how easy it is to get him out.. :rolleyes:

lol, bowling to a plan like this works against him well, india did it well.

Back