Dhoni named India one-day captain

Rohitpatel

Well as we know few day ago Indian player Rahul Dravid resign as posts of Indian Captain which is very difficult job in the world. Now who will be take place as a Indian Captain. At the moment Sachin is set fopr this post but they are also thinking about Ganguly who is India's most successful Captain.

Re: Who will be next Captain of India?

It will be either Dhoni or Sachin. Dhoni doesn't have much experience as captain so I believe that Ganguly should take over the captaincy as India have some important matches against good teams like Australia and Pakistan in the near future.

Well BCCI will announce new Indian Captain and almost all Media suggest that Sachin would take carge of India for only first series but expert suggest name Ganguly as new Indian Captain to make better team as he did before.

ganguly is the only captain who did well. sachin is not a good captain but for the future dhoni or yuvraj should be captain

The main problem is, is that you need a secure member of the side as captain. Even Dhoni I don't think is (in Test Matches), so I would be persuaded to go with Sachin or Ganguly. Given Ganguly's recent troubles, he should not have the captaincy put on his shoulders as well, after coming back into the side. For this reason I would go with Sachin, even though it is not a long-term option. Hopefully, by the time he retires there will be a firm member of the side ready to take on the captaincy.

BBC said:
India have named Mahendra Dhoni as their new one-day captain following the resignation of Rahul Dravid last week.

The 26-year-old wicket-keeper is currently captaining India at the World Twenty20 in South Africa.
Full article here

Not a big surprise apart from the fact that India will seemingly be going with separate captains. The smart money would be on Tendulkar or Ganguly taking over the test team.

Re: Dhoni named India one-day captain

India play a test match two months later so there is no hurry to name a test captain. If Dhoni does well in ODI's then he might be named the Test Captain too otherwise it may be Sachin because the selectors believe that going back to Ganguly would be a step backwards. I don't agree with that since he is the best option currently.

AB said:
India play a test match two months later so there is no hurry to name a test captain. If Dhoni does well in ODI's then he might be named the Test Captain too otherwise it may be Sachin because the selectors believe that going back to Ganguly would be a step backwards. I don't agree with that since he is the best option currently.
Hm, I would personally have thought that it would be a step back because Ganguly never performed overly-well in test matches in the recent (i.e. 5 yrs) past.

He's playing pretty well, so I think it would be a risk making him captain again as he has performed a lot better while relieved of captaincy.

Dhoni is always an option, but I'm not sure if it'll be too much to handle for him to captain all 3 of our squads and keep wicket. What do you think?

Maybe someone like Yuvraj might step up for the test captain...unlikely but it's a possibility!

Ganguly is a tough character.I too think he'd make a better captain of the Indian test team.He was doing well as a captain even while going through that bad patch.The last time Sachin Tendulkar was captain ,the pressure of captaincy affected his batting and he didn't do well as captain either.It was surprising for Dravid to resign out of the blue.Hopefully,Dhoni isn't a choker.

Well Dhoni is best option for India at the moment because all three big guns Sachin, Ganguly and Dravid have less time to retire and India wants a long term captain. So I think Dhoni is perfact for that place.

But I am sure we would see new captain in Test matches.

Now that Dhoni has been announced the captain of the Indian team for both T20 and one day internationals , we will see how he goes about it against the England match that's scheduled for later today.For both teams,it's a must win match.With Newzealand technically through to the semifinals ,the second team remains to be decided and if SA win against Newzealand ,then the England Vs India match becomes important even for the Kiwis.

Rohitpatel said:
But I am sure we would see new captain in Test matches.

Yes. There is a dozen or so ODIs before the next test - This is basically to check that Dhoni is not totally hopeless at captancy. If he is not, then he will get the captaincy for tests.

Well in today's news paper I read that Anil Kumble wants to lead India in test matches. I think for Pakistan series he will be best person to lead India because he has more experience than other players and he is popular too among all players.

Dhoni captained well yesterday against SA. I hope he can live up to the expectations. As for Test matches they might go for Dhoni if he does well in the shorter formats.

Back