Difference betweenfront arm and side arm action.

abhiscenter

Difference betweenfront arm and side arm action.

Hello everyone,
Can somebody describe me the difference between front arm and round arm action lower body/foot position?
Thank you
A.V

Re: Difference betweenfront arm and side arm action.

I shall be perfectly honest... I was hoping somebody else would answer this one.

It is not that simple... Well, essentially it is, but when you add humans into the equation, it gets complicated. If you are talking about the differences between side on and front on actions, strictly speaking, the feet don't really come into it.

[I can sense that I've just :confused: everybody]

People have all kinds of joint rotations that should not be present that you really cannot rely on what the feet are up to.

Basically, think about hips and shoulders, which should always be aligned. If they are facing the batsman, the action is front on. If they are facing approximately 90 degrees one way or the other, they are side on. I suppose it does what it says on the can :D.

Would it be true to say that a fairly simple (but not completely accurate) way to assess your own action as to whether it is side on or front on is to where you look at your target from?

That is, when you come through your delivery stride your non-bowling arm comes up vertically across your view and you have to look to one side of it to be able to see your target on the pitch. For a right hander, a side-on bowler would look to the left of their left arm (the outside), where as a front-on bowler would look to the right (inside) of the left arm. The front-on bowler would be looking through a slightly bent arm too.

I don't know if this is true, but assuming the hips are in line with the shoulders, do you think this could be right, Liz? This is sort of how I assess the bowlers I play with and against for my own information and it seems to work alright. When I experiment with different actions myself that's the way I switch from one to the other as well.

Boris!

Missed You! Hope you have been doing something worthwhile whilst you have been away from us.

To answer your question... yes... and no :D.

This is more or less correct with respect to the upper body, but it does not eliminate a mixed action ;).

EDIT: Read your post again...

To answer you question... yes!

Obviously so excited to see your name, didn't read it properly :D

Liz Ward;409060 said:
Boris!

Missed You! Hope you have been doing something worthwhile whilst you have been away from us.

To answer your question... yes... and no.

This is more or less correct with respect to the upper body, but it does not eliminate a mixed action.

EDIT: Read your post again...

To answer you question... yes!

Obviously so excited to see your name, didn't read it properly :D

Yes, I did say hips in line with shoulders. As a batsman (or failed batsman might I add) I try my hardest to pick up all the subtleties of a bowler and their action. Although I'm pretty good at picking up on all those little things, unfortunately this rarely works in terms of runs I score :D

And it is good to be back as well, plus I was doing something worthwhile while I was away. Landed myself a great new job in accountancy, got picked for the third division Queensland state baseball team and had a bit of time off on holiday.

Now I've just got to decide between cricket, baseball and having a life :p

Thanks for the reply Liz

Boris;409078 said:
Yes, I did say hips in line with shoulders. As a batsman (or failed batsman might I add) I try my hardest to pick up all the subtleties of a bowler and their action. Although I'm pretty good at picking up on all those little things, unfortunately this rarely works in terms of runs I score :D

And it is good to be back as well, plus I was doing something worthwhile while I was away. Landed myself a great new job in accountancy, got picked for the third division Queensland state baseball team and had a bit of time off on holiday.

Now I've just got to decide between cricket, baseball and having a life :p

Thanks for the reply Liz
Cricket and having a life!

How are you B-man?

SteveyD;410061 said:
Cricket and having a life!

How are you B-man?

I don't know if the two are able to go hand in hand, but I'll be trying :p

Pretty busy these days keeping up with everything, especially cricket (I'm lucky enough to schedule my work hours around games :D :D).

How's yourself?

Back