Dilip Vengsarkar speaks out

FBI

Dilip Vengsarkar speaks out

'Nobody can take their place for granted' - Vengsarkar
Cricinfo staff
October 6, 2007

Dilip Vengsarkar, India's chairman of selectors, has sounded out a warning to the senior players following the team's second consecutive defeat to Australia in the seven-match series.

Vengsarkar made it clear that the seniors needed to raise their game, especially in the wake of the World Twenty20 triumph engineered by a young side. "There are many players like S Badrinath and Suresh Raina who are performing with the India A side," Vengsarkar told Mid-Day, a Mumbai-based tabloid. "These guys are waiting for their chance and you cannot ignore them. It's a professional set-up and nobody can take their place for granted."

Source: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/indvaus/content/current/story/313984.html

This is interesting from the most slated Chairman of Selectors ever. He seems to be very tough on people and it is good that the oldies have been told to buck up as I sensed that they were in the team merely for reputation. I do question him sometimes, although Badrinath has hit four centuries and a double in his last six India A FC innings and a man of the match in his only recent India A ODI, Raina has played just the one match for India A this year!

Re: Dilip Vengsarkar speaks out

To have a successful team I feel that you need a mixture of feeling secure but also knowing that there are people vying for your place.

No-one should be able to rest on former glories, you have to contribute to the team, otherwise what is the point of being selected, if you have to be carried?

I dont know how Suresh Raina has performed, but Badrinath deserves to get a chance. It's pointless to drop the trio since they haven't been in the side just on their reputation. Sachin and Sourav have played very well recently. And you can never count Dravid out. I think resting them to give youngsters a go is fair enough.

I think what you've got to look at is, yes Sachin has done a lot for India, but at the moment hes not hitting those high score, maybe one game on the bench might do him some good?

India need a mixture of youth and experience so I agree with rotating the 'oldies' to give the younger players more of a chance.

Will_NA said:
India need a mixture of youth and experience so I agree with rotating the 'oldies' to give the younger players more of a chance.

Well, from the fourth ODI onwards, only two of the big three will play in each ODI for quite some time - this is part of a new rotation process but what do you think about the possibility of one or more of them being dropped?

I think that Tendulkar is still crucial to India's ODI setup but may need the most rest of them all. I also think that with Ganguly's slow scoring and Rahul Dravid's clear loss in consistancy, those two should be fighting for their places, if only someone was threatening them with good performances.

I personally feel that India's bowlers are the problem. Sure, Harbhajan Singh is good and tight in ODIs but what about the pacers? Sreesanth could not be more inconsistant, Zaheer Khan is decidedly average, Pathan is brilliant (;)) and RP Singh cannot make the team! India need to look to proven domestic performers like Gagandeep Singh and Ranadeb Bose; maybe even Praveen Kumar who has impressed for India A, unlike all the other pace bowlers there.

The selectors didnt give youngster any chance in the series. They give rest to dravid only in the last match but I think badrinath and rohit sharma should be given chances.

manee said:
Well, from the fourth ODI onwards, only two of the big three will play in each ODI for quite some time - this is part of a new rotation process but what do you think about the possibility of one or more of them being dropped?

I think that Tendulkar is still crucial to India's ODI setup but may need the most rest of them all. I also think that with Ganguly's slow scoring and Rahul Dravid's clear loss in consistancy, those two should be fighting for their places, if only someone was threatening them with good performances.

I personally feel that India's bowlers are the problem. Sure, Harbhajan Singh is good and tight in ODIs but what about the pacers? Sreesanth could not be more inconsistant, Zaheer Khan is decidedly average, Pathan is brilliant (;)) and RP Singh cannot make the team! India need to look to proven domestic performers like Gagandeep Singh and Ranadeb Bose; maybe even Praveen Kumar who has impressed for India A, unlike all the other pace bowlers there.
The fast bowling is very big problem Sreesant and RP singh performed below average in the series even when the balling condition is good they dont take opportunities. Why is Ranadeb Bose not getting the chance.

Back