ECB threatens future ICL recruits

mas cambios

ECB threatens future ICL recruits

The England and Wales Cricket Board has warned players tempted to join the rebel Indian Cricket League that they face missing a whole county season.

The ECB has issued what it calls a "robust" response to the threats posed by the ICL, which is not endorsed by the International Cricket Council.

Chris Read, Vikram Solanki, Darren Maddy and Paul Nixon accepted lucrative deals to play in the first ICL season.

But if any play again, they will be denied county registration for a year.

BBC

I'm starting to get a bit sick of the BCCI throwing their weight around and forcing other national boards to back its competition. If players want to play in the ICL, let them, the rivalry between the IPL and ICL can only be a good thing.

I hope someone takes the ECB or whoever to court under restraint of trade, the whole thing is pathetic.

Re: ECB threatens future ICL recruits

that is really bad... but isnt it icc rule that players cannot participate in unrecognized torunament like icl..

ICC doesn't recognize ICL, but, according to ICC rules, its the national board's prerogative to decide what happens to players who participate in unsanctioned tournaments.

The national boards have to stop banning players who participate in the ICL. New Zealand have already lost a bunch of talented players thanks to this rule.

"But the "Kolpak" free agents who have turned their back on South African cricket can, for now at least, safely pursue both the ICL and county cricket." - BBC Sport site

Do you think this is correct or merely a mistake by the BBC??

It does seem to be correct. ECB will deny county registration to those participating in ICL for a year. But Kolpaks don't need county registration neither do they need a 'No Objection' certificate from their national board so they can freely participate in both ICL and county cricket.

well at least they have not been banned for life like some other boards have done.

Banning players for a year too is not a good response. If the players were missing county games and playing ICL then they should be banned but otherwise whats the harm.

pca is trying to resolve the matter but i think they will fail to convince ecb. why are ecb doing this anyway? how does it benefit them?

AB said:
It does seem to be correct. ECB will deny county registration to those participating in ICL for a year. But Kolpaks don't need county registration neither do they need a 'No Objection' certificate from their national board so they can freely participate in both ICL and county cricket.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

deer said:
pca is trying to resolve the matter but i think they will fail to convince ecb. why are ecb doing this anyway? how does it benefit them?
Perhaps because they want to maintain good relationship with BCCI. Its all about the money. I read a good article about the whole ICL issue on cricinfo http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/340430.html
I hope someone takes BCCI to court

I believe Kapil Dev has already taken them to court for stopping his pension.

BCCI have done all they can to make sure that anyone that is associated to ICL will starve to death. Not only were the players but they also lost their jobs outside cricket. I hope he wins the case and some action is taken against BCCI but we know how long cases take to get settled in India.

Back