England vs Sri Lanka Player Ratings

Timed Out

England vs Sri Lanka Player Ratings

Alastair Cook - 7
Chaminda Vaas tormented his outside edge, exploiting a weakness that the Australians first exposed during last winter's Ashes. He's young enough to work on that area of indecision, and he's certainly bloody-minded enough - he battled back from a chastening first Test with two ballsy innings at Colombo and then finished on a high with a second-innings century at Galle. He turns 23 on Christmas Day, and only Don Bradman and Sachin Tendulkar had made more than his seven hundreds at the same age.

Ryan Sidebottom - 7
England's stand-out performer. Sidebottom was disciplined, determined and desperately luckless with the ball - if there was a catch to be dropped, he was invariably the bowler left kicking the turf in frustration. With the bat he was an absolute revelation, providing a rigidity to England's tail that no-one had dared to anticipate. In all three Tests he was defiance personified, not least in the Galle debacle, when his 70-ball innings was England's longest by a distance.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/slveng/content/current/story/326876.html

Englands rating are fair and show how poor they are, monty scoring 4/10 shows how bad his tour was. Personally i think KP deserved a lower score although his theory on burn out is showing. Ravis score was quite harsh but fair.

Mahela Jayawardene - 9.5
As close to perfection as a captain can get. Beneath the placid exterior lurks a competitor forged from steel, and nobody withstood the heat of battle better than he. Vital contributions to each and every Test, and his returns grew as the series went on. The tempo of his double-century at Galle was exemplary - he piled on the runs while baking England in the heat for two-and-a-half days, and afterwards turned on them with the directness of a Waugh or Ranatunga, accusing them of giving up too soon. He was spot on as well.

Kumar Sangakkara - 9
Utterly imperious at Kandy, where he ascended to the top of the world rankings with his fourth score of 150-plus in consecutive Tests, not to mention a 92 in the first innings. At that stage of the series England had not a clue how to dismiss him, so it came as some surprise that he failed to pass fifty at either Colombo (where he received an excellent delivery from Ryan Sidebottom) or Galle (where he suffered a rare lapse in concentration straight after lunch). Nevertheless, that first-Test performance wrecked the resolve of England's bowlers.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/slveng/content/current/story/326878.html

Again fair and honest.

Post your views. What would you have given?

Re: England vs Sri Lanka Player Ratings

i think most of those were quite fair. cant say i strongly disagree with any. although i think that welegadera (not sure how the spell) should have got 6.5, considering it was his first game and he did pick up 5 wickets in the game

Back